• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drones - sUAS Thread

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Last week when I was down at Maxwell AFB, I received a half day of training on small Unmanned Aerial Systems - sUAS - or "drones". I really became hooked and had no idea that the current state of the technology was so good, affordable and accessible. Although I got to fly some very sophisticated US DoD compliant vehicles, I also got to an intro to the consumer level hardware. The advent of lithium-polymer batteries, high grade brushless motors, GPS sensors, cheap onboard processors, smartphones and cheap 4K optical sensors makes for something that you can now own, fly, and exercise the basics of airborne sensor applications.

These vehicles have a number of sophisticated modes - preplanned waypoint/3D NAV mode, stabilized rate based hand controller modes (AFCS/SAS) , to unstabililized (AFCS OFF) raw attitude control modes. Even the cheapest consumer hardware has live first-person-view with minimal lag beamed in real time to your smartphone screen that is mounted to the top of the hand controller.

Range can be beyond line of sight out to 1-3 KM.

Here is an example of a DoD approved unit level vehicle:

and a Pro level consumer grade unit

Industry is innovating at a fairly quick pace - for flight management platforms. One of the easiest/cheapest and most accessible is Kittyhawk: https://kittyhawk.io/

After a few hours of flying I asked one of the AF instructors for a recommendation on a cheap but capable entry level model ~$200

CAPTAIN DRONE on YouTube is a great source of info, tutorials, and reviews : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm0rmRuPifODAiW8zSLXs2A/featured

One of the DOD & FEMA approved proficiency tasks is using your aircraft/drone to record/view the contents of a bucket - its a fun challenge and the materials to set up are all at your Home Depot:

Amazon delilvered:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
If you are looking for a Remote Pilot Certificate and applicable federal regulations, it is FAA Part 107. Here is a link to take a look:

I actually just completed the training online and filled out iacra and had a CFI buddy sign it off, took about 20 minutes.

there is actually some good no kidding commercial opportunities to be had. you probably need 10 to $15,000 to get some commercial grade hardware and get some practice and hire an observerbut between industry and serving state and local government and registering to be a contractor for FEMA there is some good money to be made!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Make sure you fly your drone near some MOAs to generate more UFO reports to keep The Drive writing articles to keep the damned UFO thread alive.

Also, chuck, they have the internet on computers AND phones these days.

What a time to be alive.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Negative. The geese in my neighborhood though insist on terrorizing me on afternoon runs...
Circa 2006, I'm on a nice long afternoon run around the perimeter of the Navy base in Newport, RI. One lonely goose was near the path as I passed it. It skirted away as they normally did...at least that's what I thought. This time though, the little bastard waited for me to pass and then took to flight and came after me and took a nice peck at my left tricep. The next day, my arm had a huge bruise and it looked like someone took a hammer to it. Hurt like a son of a bitch.