• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drone Pilots May Be Recognized For Actions In Wartime

Renegade One

None
Maybe in the Air Force... the Marines do it from in country, less than 50km away... No Las Vegas on the weekends for us!

Why? AUS operators are on the ground sitting in a fiberglass box sometimes way outside the wire... they get shot at and take mortar rounds the same as anyone else...

My last deployment we had two guys get a NavCom!

And for the courage... maybe you'd like to be stuck in a fiberglass box flying a AUV while your FOB and runway are getting mortars dropped on them...
Joe: So they should maybe get recognized the same as "anyone else" in the same FOB? I admire your spirit and your passion, but it sounds like the AUS operators are under no more...and no less...exposure than anyone else in the same shit.
To reply specifically to your comments:
1. From in country...thanks for your/their service. I never had to do that. I admire those of you who do.
2. Not sure why they're "outside the wire"...but again...same as anyone else.
3. Okay...maybe NMCM is the way to go...I admit to not knowing.
4. No, I would NOT like to be stuck in a fiberglass box under mortar attack...any more than I would like to be stuck in the TOC or the COMMO bunker or the FARP or the frakin' chow hall. But I gather there are Marines in all of those places as well...
So...given all that...how do you think we should differentiate AUS operators from "everyone else" in the same environment?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are talking out of your a*s.BzB

Yup, ol' Joe Cool just 'outed himelf' as a douchebag troll on the "silky panty rainbow PT" thread. That thread smelt funny to me from the git go, check it out... it's gettin' hilarious!:(
BzB

Renegade One

None
Yup, ol' Joe Cool just....BzB
BzB: Alternatively, we've just "outed ourselves" as HATERS. I'm okay with that if you are...
But neither of us speaks for the other...and I can never claim to speaking from the same environment you served in, which was fundamentally different.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BzB: Alternatively, we've just "outed ourselves" as HATERS. I'm okay with that if you are...

Yo, I can handle that... but I prefer to call it 'fondness challenged'!;)

BTW.. that 'toon above says it all.:D
BzB

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Maybe in the Air Force... the Marines do it from in country, less than 50km away... No Las Vegas on the weekends for us!<br /> <br />
BusyBee604, post: 705146 said: <br />2. Combat "V" should never be authorized
Why? AUS operators are on the ground sitting in a fiberglass box sometimes way outside the wire... they get shot at and take mortar rounds the same as anyone else...<br /> <br />
RotorHead04, post: 706959 said: <br />Give them NAMs (or service equivalent) ... just like everyone else gets for doing their [ground] job ... :rolleyes:
My last deployment we had two guys get a NavCom!<br /> <br />
Pugs, post: 706969 said: <br />I simply can't see the "courage" part to drone operation.
And for the courage... maybe you'd like to be stuck in a fiberglass box flying a AUV while your FOB and runway are getting mortars dropped on them...

Why on earth would the controller for a UAS be "outside the wire?" That seems completely moronic, even for the Big Green Gun Club.

If it's a matter of being exposed to IDF, then everyone at the FOB, to include the guys heroically serving chow rates a medal.