• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Drilling

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullatina

I was wondering if anyone that has gone through OCS already could shed some light on drilling procedures. I noticed there is ALOT of time spent practicing drill. Is it stricting marching and things of that nature, or is there also PT and mashing thrown in there as well. If there is PT and mashing during drill, how often is it and to what frequency?

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Paul

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
You'll drill then get mashed. Maybe just a few people put of you class will get pulled and mashed (if they always screw up), or your whole class if most of you screw up. You usually will get the beating in the earlier stages at OCS. However, they can and will continue untill you leave.

Dave

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Drill is a skill that you learn by doing. You won't be able to pick up the skills until you are in a training environment where they are being taught.
As far as getting "mashed", I wouldn't worry about that either. Now that I am here in the API pool, I've been over by Navy OCS when I was on my way to drop off records or PT. I've seen the candidate classes, and all this talk of "mashing" is a little overrated. The hats don't treat the candidates all that rough. They are firm, but nothing like they are at Parris Island or San Diego. Of course, comparing Marine Corps boot camp to OCS is like comparing apples and oranges. My main point is that as long as you are in decent shape, there is no reason you couldn't make it physically.

Spin

SNA in Meridian
How difficult is drill. Does it cause a lot of people problems. And more specifically, what is it like leading drill. I am going to Marine OCS but I assume, with regard to drill, that if not the same it is extrememly similar between the services. Thanks.

-Spin

Spin

SNA in Meridian
All it is is marching? Forgive my ignorance but what is it when you have to do things with your rifel (i.e. put it down at your side, etc.).

Spin

SNA in Meridian
All it is is marching? Forgive my ignorance but what is it when you have to do things with your rifel (i.e. put it down at your side, etc.).

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Left shoulder arms, right shoulder arms, that kind of thing. If you are just determined to get insight to drill before you go, see if you can obtain the Drill and Ceremonies Manual from a Marine unit somewhere close. Keep in mind that drill is slightly different between the services. Also keep in mind that depending on which depot the current drillmaster at OCS served at, the Manual can be interpreted slightly differently. P.I. Marines do certain movements just a little differently than Hollywood Marines. I guess what I am trying to say is that you shouldn't really give it much thought. Trust me... you'll learn it when you get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.