• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dreamliner

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/071010/boeing_787_delay.html?.v=1

Interesting that Boeing is having problems meeting delivery schedules now too. As an outsider to the inner workings of the industry, it makes me wonder if there is something intrinsically silly about both the Dreamliner and the A380 in an industry where the hottest ticket lately has been the CRJ.

Food for thought.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think the CRJ type a/c meet the international demand. Not a big issue if travelling within the US, but a lot of the Asian carriers and Middle Eastern carriers seem to have huge investment interest in both these platforms. Tons more discussions on this very subject 787 vs 380 and 350 over at airliners.net

Nose

pilot
I'm not a Boeing fan, but in their defense, this is the FIRST setback on the 787 and it was a pretty ambitious schedule to begin with. Our bubbas are being told that the revised schedule is realistic and they think Boeing won't have any trouble meeting it. (We are 787 US launch customer, so our guys are pretty well informed).

I don't think it is fair to compare to the 380 which has suffered numerous setbacks and several order cancellations.

As for RJs - wait until congress gets its meathooks into the "slowdown" issue and they start putting seat quotas on airports in the northeast. (Yeah, that's it, congress will fix the problem!)

N

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I don't think the CRJ type a/c meet the international demand.

Didn't mean to imply that they were. Of course they aren't competing for the same routes as the -87...it just seems...and this is an obvious outsider speaking...that the growth sector of the industry has been routes which are servicable with the CRJ series.

Or..did you mean international buying demand??

Nose

pilot
Scoober - that ain't growth. Most airlines are replacing larger airframes with RJs. Not more ASMs, just more frequency on smaller jets.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well I think it's kinda apples to oranges. The A380 is a monster A/C trying to carry a record number of people long distances. The 787 is all about efficiency, not size. The 787 is another medium-large aircraft which aims to be the most efficient a/c yet. It has used the most composite components and structures, a newer, quieter, more efficient model of engine and new manufacturing methods in order to create a safer, lighter aircraft which costs less to manufacture and maintain. As I understand it, boeing also plans on taking these technology leaps to other types/sizes of aircraft. I heard the VP of the project speak at my school. It's been a while since the presentation, but it was some interesting stuff.

It just seems the A380 and 787 are apples and oranges.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Damn news is killing my 401K today.... I need to move more % out of my company stock :)
TGT AAPL MICC LMT RTN BA GD WB GE TREMX PRLAX FUGIX ETGIX LDK BX ATHN CGW PHO ACTU MEA NR DAR CKSW JRJC GRRF CHA CHNR CSUN EJ
Here are my recommendations for an aggessive yet diversified portfolio...If you want to make some short term plays, you can make a decent amount in the Chinese stocks. They are quite volatile though.

jskibo

It would be more fair to analyze the A350 against the 787 as that's the competing platform. Although the 350 also takes on the lower end of the 777 market and stretching the 787 to compete with the complete proposed 350 offering would cannibalize our 777 market. Not a good practice. Notice the MD series went away right after the merger.

Now though similar in the use of composites, the 787 is a fully spun barrel, where the 350 is still panel on frame.

jskibo

TGT AAPL MICC LMT RTN BA GD WB GE TREMX PRLAX FUGIX ETGIX LDK BX ATHN CGW PHO ACTU MEA NR DAR CKSW JRJC GRRF CHA CHNR CSUN EJ
Here are my recommendations for an aggessive yet diversified portfolio...If you want to make some short term plays, you can make a decent amount in the Chinese stocks. They are quite volatile though.

Boeing limits the fund offerings to a few though Citi. My VIP (Russian Cell Phone) is doing extremely well from last year at this point!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
in an industry where the hottest ticket lately has been the CRJ.
There is a glut of RJs on the market and their day has already come and gone. Of course they will be RJs flying at the regionals but not as many as once envisioned. Their operating cost is actually quite high.