• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

iBelieveicanFly

Hi All! This is my first post, so I apologize if there are any unsaid rules I'm not following or posting in the wrong thread. I NEED YOUR ADVICE!!

I was in the process of applying to the Air Force pilot board in June & passed the AFOQT but did terrible on the the TBAS (joystick test). Because of this, my recruiter told me I could not submit my application for the pilot board that meets 6/2016, but that I could still apply for the non-rated board that meets in 9/2016, which includes all non-flight related officer positions. Here's the thing, I REALLY, REALLY wanted to apply for the pilot board, but I have to wait 6 months to retake the TBAS. Which means I wouldn't be able to submit another pilot application with the AF until next year (the next pilot board meets in December and results aren't released until the new year). My recruiter is suggesting that I submit my application with the non-rated board in September, but I'm not 100% I want to give up on my pilot dreams that easily. Wanting to explore all my options, I met with a Navy recruiter. The Navy pilot board is expected to meet around August, and as long as I pass the ASTBE and get cleared by MEPS, I'll be able to submit an application. Here's where I need your advice...

My plan is to submit an application with the Navy for the pilot board meeting around August. My Navy recruiter says I would know if I was selected by the board well before the Air Force board meets in September, so that if I don't make it with the Navy, I can still submit my package with the Air Force this fall. I want to share these plans with my air force recruiter and keep her in the loop, but she is kind of selfish and essentially told me that she doesn't deal with double dippers and if I'm indecisive on whether I want to join the Air Force, she would not help me. That concerns me, because she has all original copies of my 3 letters of recommendation and I'm afraid that if she finds out that I'm pursuing the Navy with hopes to make their pilot board and keeping the AF as my back-up plan, that she'll drop me from her caseload and keep/shred all my documents. Which brings me to my last question, if I don't tell her my plans and just see how things pan out...is there a way for her to find out that I've already gone through MEPS with the Navy? (The last thing I have to do before submitting my AF application is go through MEPS...will she find out that I went through MEPS with the Navy once she goes to schedule my MEPS appointment?)

exNavyOffRec

If you were applying for Apple would you let them know that you also applied for Microsoft? you wouldn't would you, same rules apply.

If you want to fly USN is your best bet, many have said here from first hand info that there are minimal numbers available to fly via AF OTS, it is all about how the USAF allocates pilot positions, USAFA, then AFROTC, then leftovers to OTS.

Now if you tank the ASTB then do want you want, but you need to take the ASTB.

She will find out if you go through MEPS with the USN, but to be realistic again your best chances to fly are with the USN.

iBelieveicanFly

If you were applying for Apple would you let them know that you also applied for Microsoft? you wouldn't would you, same rules apply.

If you want to fly USN is your best bet, many have said here from first hand info that there are minimal numbers available to fly via AF OTS, it is all about how the USAF allocates pilot positions, USAFA, then AFROTC, then leftovers to OTS.

Now if you tank the ASTB then do want you want, but you need to take the ASTB.

She will find out if you go through MEPS with the USN, but to be realistic again your best chances to fly are with the USN.

Thanks for the advice! My thought behind telling her was "she will eventually find out I went through MEPS with the Navy...maybe I should just tell her upfront". After giving your response some thought, maybe I should consider enlisting in the navy and re-submitting an officer application if my initial one does not get accepted (versus thinking I'll just go back to the Air Force if the Navy doesn't take my officer package). My recruiter told me he submitted his officer package 3 times! Yikes! My other concern was, my boyfriend is enlisting in the Air Force....and being in different branches could really complicate things for us.

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the advice! My thought behind telling her was "she will eventually find out I went through MEPS with the Navy...maybe I should just tell her upfront". After giving your response some thought, maybe I should consider enlisting in the navy and re-submitting an officer application if my initial one does not get accepted (versus thinking I'll just go back to the Air Force if the Navy doesn't take my officer package). My recruiter told me he submitted his officer package 3 times! Yikes! My other concern was, my boyfriend is enlisting in the Air Force....and being in different branches could really complicate things for us.

So you trying to go AF Officer and him going enlisted is already not a good plan, you going enlisted USN and then trying to go officer is also a bad idea, you are getting too many bad ideas from the bad idea fairy.

Not sure what type of officer your USN OR is but realistically a person's best chance of getting picked up is their first time, it goes down from there.

What are you stats, GPA, degree, etc.... and you shouldn't make a decision until AFTER you take the ASTB.

iBelieveicanFly

So you trying to go AF Officer and him going enlisted is already not a good plan, you going enlisted USN and then trying to go officer is also a bad idea, you are getting too many bad ideas from the bad idea fairy.

Not sure what type of officer your USN OR is but realistically a person's best chance of getting picked up is their first time, it goes down from there.

What are you stats, GPA, degree, etc.... and you shouldn't make a decision until AFTER you take the ASTB.

To be honest, my GPA is not the greatest. It's below the 3.0 mark. I have two BA's in Psych and Anthropology, which doesn't help me any. The only advantage I have is having taken the AFOQT, I feel prepared to pass the ASTB and have many resources, including those I used for the AFOQT. I'm confident I'll get great scores and my letter of recommendation will really highlight my strengths. My USN OR told me that the procedure is: you go to MEPS first, then take the test. Is that true? Because I would prefer vice versa...test first, then MEPS.

In regards to my boyfriend joining enlisted and me joining as officer...any other suggestions to offset the bad idea fairy? Lol

exNavyOffRec

To be honest, my GPA is not the greatest. It's below the 3.0 mark. I have two BA's in Psych and Anthropology, which doesn't help me any. The only advantage I have is having taken the AFOQT, I feel prepared to pass the ASTB and have many resources, including those I used for the AFOQT. I'm confident I'll get great scores and my letter of recommendation will really highlight my strengths. My USN OR told me that the procedure is: you go to MEPS first, then take the test. Is that true? Because I would prefer vice versa...test first, then MEPS.

In regards to my boyfriend joining enlisted and me joining as officer...any other suggestions to offset the bad idea fairy? Lol

I always had them to the ASTB first since if they didn't do well then MEPS was a waist of time, and the ASTB is quicker than MEPS, for the USN aviation is all about the ASTB, you do well on that and you have a very good shot.

How far below 3.0 are we talking? 2.9 not a big deal but 2.5 and that could be a problem.

iBelieveicanFly

I always had them to the ASTB first since if they didn't do well then MEPS was a waist of time, and the ASTB is quicker than MEPS, for the USN aviation is all about the ASTB, you do well on that and you have a very good shot.

How far below 3.0 are we talking? 2.9 not a big deal but 2.5 and that could be a problem.
I'm at 2.6 :( I know it's not great, but at this point, im focusing on what I CAN change and worrying about that ASTB score. I think my plan going forward will be to schedule my test first, then worry about MEPS. My navy recruiter had me scheduled for MEPS first, but I'm going to delay it until after my test. Thanks so much for helping me talk this out!

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
There are a number of people here (myself included) who have looked at the AF, and basically unless you're scoring 95+ on the TBAS subtests with a decent amount of prior flight time (10 hours plus) then you will not be competitive for an OTS slot.

For the USN, it's all about the ASTB score. If you put in a solid month of studying for a couple of hours each day, you should be able to get a decent score and be competitive for a pilot slot.

exNavyOffRec

I'm at 2.6 :( I know it's not great, but at this point, im focusing on what I CAN change and worrying about that ASTB score. I think my plan going forward will be to schedule my test first, then worry about MEPS. My navy recruiter had me scheduled for MEPS first, but I'm going to delay it until after my test. Thanks so much for helping me talk this out!
2.6 ouch that will hurt, I think it will hurt much more for the USAF, take the ASTB. The bottom line is if you want to have a chance at flying the USN will give you a better chance (if you get a good ASTB score).

Renegade One

None
Hey…look at that elephant in the room!
elephant-in-room.jpg

If your BF is an enlisted USAF guy, and you're a Naval Officer (of any designator), your chances of being geographically co-located is essentially nil for a long, long time. Yeah, yeah…you could end up in Oceana (after several years), and he could wangle orders to Langley, but the stars would have to really align. You might want to think about having the "I think we should see other people" talk if and when you decide on your own way ahead.

There. I said it.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hey…look at that elephant in the room!
elephant-in-room.jpg

If your BF is an enlisted USAF guy, and you're a Naval Officer (of any designator), your chances of being geographically co-located is essentially nil for a long, long time. Yeah, yeah…you could end up in Oceana (after several years), and he could wangle orders to Langley, but the stars would have to really align. You might want to think about having the "I think we should see other people" talk if and when you decide on your own way ahead.

There. I said it.

Just having to drive through the Hampton Roads bridge tunnel is a deal breaker of its own.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I think you are being a little paranoid about the AF recruiter you are working with. She more than likely has a lot of other applicants that she is working with at the same time as you. If she told you that, she is probably just being honest that she doesn't have time to deal with you if you aren't serious about the process or the USAF, given all the other folks out there who likely are……she has to spend time on each of you, so if there is an applicant who isn't showing interest, the squeakier wheels get the oil so to speak. I'd be very surprised if she cared enough about your personal program to go to the extreme and unprofessional length of shredding your application/LOR documents or being otherwise vengeful, and I doubt she personally cares what you do with your life, so long as you aren't wasting her time.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I think you are being a little paranoid about the AF recruiter you are working with. She more than likely has a lot of other applicants that she is working with at the same time as you. If she told you that, she is probably just being honest that she doesn't have time to deal with you if you aren't serious about the process or the USAF, given all the other folks out there who likely are……she has to spend time on each of you, so if there is an applicant who isn't showing interest, the squeakier wheels get the oil so to speak. I'd be very surprised if she cared enough about your personal program to go to the extreme and unprofessional length of shredding your application/LOR documents or being otherwise vengeful, and I doubt she personally cares what you do with your life, so long as you aren't wasting her time.

He's right. Air Force has no problem turning down folks left and right that would otherwise be qualified and competitive for Navy OCS programs. We recently sworn in a prior USAF enlisted, 3.7 engineering GPA as a Pilot and got turned down by the Air Force.