• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dollar Shave Club Anyone?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I am a cheap ass bastard, especially when it comes to spending money on stuff I don't like buying.

Razors come top on that list. I actually did the math a while back and realized that long term, it was cheaper to use the free Mach 3 razor the Air Force sent me on my 18th birthday than it was to buy an electric. Ten years later, still using that same razor. I once even bought a 200 cartridge bulk pack of refills off Amazon because it reduced the price by a few pennies.

So, I'm curious about this deal, which would be by far the cheapest: https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/

Their commercial alone makes this worth the experiment, but just curious if anyone has any experience with this deal:

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
No experience with the deal, but experience with being (price) gouged by Fusion razors. I eventually got so fed up with it I started shaving with a safety razor. Takes a little time to get used to it but you can get the blades for around $.15 each, they last longer, and the shave is better.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
DSC is legit. Only warning is that their actual $1/mo razor plan is usually on a wait list, so you either wait or upgrade to premium razors. Those are $6 or $9/mo.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Safety razor for the win. Couple that with shave soap or a tub of shave cream, a nice silvertip brush, and quality aftershave and the stuff pays for itself after about 4 months of not using fusions at the rate of 1/week.

I never shave with a dull razor...I usually only use my safety razors twice, maybe three times (I have a beard that could double as 40 grit sandpaper) and I still spend about a buck a week on shaving, if that.

Plus, it's old school.

phrogpilot73

You can make your blades last longer using a Blade Buddy. I use it every day, and one blade lasts close to two months. Less irritation too, think of it as a modern day leather strop to hone your disposable blade cartridges.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I knew Scoob would chime in with the Old Skool shaving thread.

I am way too lazy to "practice" shaving to get it right, and I'm definitely convinced I will nick an artery shaving before a 0 -dark-thirty brief some morning.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Lol...I hear ya. You might be surprised with a safety razor though...really not that big a deal.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Lol...I hear ya. You might be surprised with a safety razor though...really not that big a deal.

Agreed. I'm almost as fast with the safety razor as I am with the fusion blades. My whole routine from hot water soak to aftershave is about 5-7 minutes with minimal cuts.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just signed up recently because I ran out of Mach3 blades and wasn't feeling the $30/5 blades or whatever ridiculousness it was at the grocery store. I went for the $6/mo plan. I should be getting my stuff shortly, but I have a couple friends who do it and they have been pretty happy thus far.

If you do it, use my link and I get free $.
https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/mn1s/D321FE0D590B88/s/tx/cx/1

du411y

Its a plane that hovers.
pilot
Just a lowly stud here...

The blades seem to dull faster than a Fusion cartridge, they last about a week and a half. However its not an issue when you are paying $6 / month (4 blade) and can reliably switch cartridges every week. I have been using them for about 6 months now.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
I saw them on CNBC a while ago. As you might imagine, they buy their blades from a company in China-- they are all marketing. In the interview the anchor asked him why his customers wouldn't just go to XYZ website (he had the actual website on the show) and buy the exact same blades in bulk for an even lower price than Dollar Shave Club. The answer was that his company was more convenient, but not necessarily the cheapest.

So, if you really want to go the cheap way, just buy the same exact blades from Dorco for roughly 1/3 of Dollar Shave Club's price.

http://lifehacker.com/5903771/forge...urce=lifehacker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Or, just pay attention to fatwallet.com or slickdeals.com and buy Gillette or Schick products when a great online deal comes along.