• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does getting a waiver ruin your chances at board selection (NFO)

TidePods

So some context:

I'm a 24 year old civilian with a stem degree (3.2 GPA) and choose NFO as my first choice. Took ASTB and got 58, 6, 5, 6 score. Asked my recruiter if I should retake for a more competitive score and he said "nah, you're good". At MEPS I got hit for depression meds I was taking in high school (never admitted to hospital or anything), honestly I thought that as long as you haven't taken meds in 4 years before applying you would be good but I still had to go pay a psych $200 to evaluate me and get the waiver. And my recruiter said it was accepted without any restrictions.

fast forward to this recent August SNA/SNFO board, I wasn't accepted. My recruiter kind of scratched his head and said "huh, I thought you had a good shot". I figured it was a mix of just falling through the cracks of other competitive applicants or my recruiter might have dropped the ball (as he's done it before). It was a crushing defeat but eventually I got back up and started getting ready for this next November board and I'm retaking my ASTB to get a knockout score to help.

Back to the main question: There's one thing that's been bothering me, since I keep hearing so many got accepted last board; is it possible my medical waiver is what held me back? I'm sure it might play a factor but how big of a deal might that be? Should I just continue my course or change my approach? I guess I'm worried about getting my hopes dashed twice in a row without knowing why. But anyway, thanks for reading and any insights are appreciated.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
So some context:

I'm a 24 year old civilian with a stem degree (3.2 GPA) and choose NFO as my first choice. Took ASTB and got 58, 6, 5, 6 score. Asked my recruiter if I should retake for a more competitive score and he said "nah, you're good". At MEPS I got hit for depression meds I was taking in high school (never admitted to hospital or anything), honestly I thought that as long as you haven't taken meds in 4 years before applying you would be good but I still had to go pay a psych $200 to evaluate me and get the waiver. And my recruiter said it was accepted without any restrictions.

fast forward to this recent August SNA/SNFO board, I wasn't accepted. My recruiter kind of scratched his head and said "huh, I thought you had a good shot". I figured it was a mix of just falling through the cracks of other competitive applicants or my recruiter might have dropped the ball (as he's done it before). It was a crushing defeat but eventually I got back up and started getting ready for this next November board and I'm retaking my ASTB to get a knockout score to help.

Back to the main question: There's one thing that's been bothering me, since I keep hearing so many got accepted last board; is it possible my medical waiver is what held me back? I'm sure it might play a factor but how big of a deal might that be? Should I just continue my course or change my approach? I guess I'm worried about getting my hopes dashed twice in a row without knowing why. But anyway, thanks for reading and any insights are appreciated.

A medical waiver isn't correlated with selection odds. Being medically qualified, whether it's "directly" or with a waiver, only removes one barrier for submitting an application.

Medical information isn't discussed in selection boards. All the boards know is that the applicant is medically qualified, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to apply.

You were probably a PROREC N because of your low ASTB scores. Take a look at the various Pilot/NFO selection board threads and compare yourself to those who have been selected. You will probably notice those folks have ASTB sub scores with at least 7s, maybe 8 or better.

You need to improve your ASTB score, that is what is going to improve your selection odds. Your recruiter is either new/rookie or isn't aware of how Pilot/NFO boards select candidates.

Anthony2000

PRO-REC Y SNA
I would say it’s the 5 PFAR score as it is the bare minimum. I’d retake if I were you in your shoes, but do what your gut tells you. The 5 PFAR can easily be improved by studying ANIT gouges and doing the UAV/Joystick portion everyday

exNavyOffRec

My recruiter kind of scratched his head and said "huh, I thought you had a good shot".
I really hope you were the first candidate he ever worked with because otherwise it seems like he really doesn't know what he is doing.

Go retake the ASTB and take everything your recruiter says with a grain of salt.

TidePods

A medical waiver isn't correlated with selection odds. Being medically qualified, whether it's "directly" or with a waiver, only removes one barrier for submitting an application.

Medical information isn't discussed in selection boards. All the boards know is that the applicant is medically qualified, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed to apply.

You were probably a PROREC N because of your low ASTB scores. Take a look at the various Pilot/NFO selection board threads and compare yourself to those who have been selected. You will probably notice those folks have ASTB sub scores with at least 7s, maybe 8 or better.

You need to improve your ASTB score, that is what is going to improve your selection odds. Your recruiter is either new/rookie or isn't aware of how Pilot/NFO boards select candidates.
Got it! thanks so much for that answer, really helps remove some doubts, gonna put my focus into really cranking up that ASTB score.