• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Does a private pilots liscense = competitive?

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Prior flight time is an all encompassing term that groups everyone into one pool. However, there are differences in pilots and there are differences in schools.
~~DISCLAIMER~~ Civilian pilot~~ so if you normally don't credit anything a non winged guy says, read no more.

I have roughly 250 hrs and I have flown with 8+ instructors. It is easy to receive uncle Bob training from one instructor and great professional instruction between different instructors at the same establishment. Sooo there clearly is no absolute gouge to say having a certificate is going to help you succeed.
Application
I am going to say that flying experienced helped me get excepted. I was a non select, reapplied with an added instrument rating. This helped me get excepted because it improved my app. from the previous submission. I had many improvements, it was one so it HELPED.

I'm not in primary so im not going to say I know how hard and magically different flight school is. However, critical thinking is a must for any rating. Any experience IMC, turbulence, night, something unexpected forcing you to apply knowledge previously learned is practice at that skill. It might not be applying the NAVY way, but it is practice at applying what you have learned to an aircraft.
NO a PPL won't make learning what you need to pass flight school easier, but it has to help application of what you learned. IMHO

There is clearly no written way to get through OCS, API or anything in Navy training.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for COMPETITIVENESS, prior flight experience has virtually NO effect on your application. That is mostly an air force thing. So if you want to post a link referencing what you're talking about, great. Until then, I contend that having ratings will have VERY little impact on a candidate's competitiveness.

And until YOU post a link referencing quantifiable data that prior flight experience had "VERY little impact on a candidate's competitiveness" your contention holds just as little water. How many selection boards have you served on?

Certainly, in the case of the OP, civilian time is not going to offset a DUI at all, and that is the correct answer to HIS question. However, the tone of your post is to imply that said experience will not help ANYONE, whether you meant it that way or not. Boards do not look at prior flight time as a bad thing, some IPs MIGHT.

Your "re-training bad civilian habits" reference is based on your experience in Naval Aviation, which in the big picture is FUCK ALL. Of course, you've demonstrated that when confronted with this, you will fall back on "but I meant the OP." Whatever.

Your recent trend of increased internet bravado on the board, as a noob Fleet 2P (with what 6 months?), hasn't gone unnoticed by those of us who can see through your crap. Make HAC and your voice might actually register with those of us who know better. Until then, speak with authority on subjects you actually have "hands-on" experience in.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
And until YOU post a link referencing quantifiable data that prior flight experience had "VERY little impact on a candidate's competitiveness" your contention holds just as little water. How many selection boards have you served on?

Certainly, in the case of the OP, civilian time is not going to offset a DUI at all, and that is the correct answer to HIS question. However, the tone of your post is to imply that said experience will not help ANYONE, whether you meant it that way or not. Boards do not look at prior flight time as a bad thing, some IPs MIGHT.

Your "re-training bad civilian habits" reference is based on your experience in Naval Aviation, which in the big picture is FUCK ALL. Of course, you've demonstrated that when confronted with this, you will fall back on "but I meant the OP." Whatever.

Your recent trend of increased internet bravado on the board, as a noob Fleet 2P (with what 6 months?), hasn't gone unnoticed by those of us who can see through your crap. Make HAC and your voice might actually register with those of us who know better. Until then, speak with authority on subjects you actually have "hands-on" experience in.

All good points, except I'm not a 2P. ;)

FlyMikeFly

Happiness is Vectored Thrust
pilot
Contributor
I've checked threads started by you... 2 pages worth of threads, none of which I could find talking about PPL advantage. My short experiences have shown me that a private pilot's license with instrument rating will improve your performance during flight school. Much more than that, and you'll be re-training bad civilian habits. As for COMPETITIVENESS, prior flight experience has virtually NO effect on your application. That is mostly an air force thing. So if you want to post a link referencing what you're talking about, great. Until then, I contend that having ratings will have VERY little impact on a candidate's competitiveness.

Here, I copied and pasted for you below, if you're that interested in what I said. And I wasn't referring to someone being more competitive if they have prior flight time, my main point was just that in the early phases of flight training, they will be more comfortable than those with just IFS under their belt.

"Everyone gets to the same level eventually, even if some start with tons of civilian ratings. It may be less painful for them starting out, but the military flight environment is in many ways much different and more challenging than flying civils. There are some accelerated tracks through instruments in primary, but even if you were a high time civilian pilot, you will be exposed to types of flying in the military that are completely foreign and you find yourself feeling like it's the first time you've even flown an aircraft (ie. bombing, ACM/BFM (dogfighting), TACFORM, 2-plane/ 4-plane formation, night formation, NVGs, radar, the list goes on). Personal experience, I started with about 100hrs of cilivian time on my private license. Talking with friends who had no prior time, it was just a little more comfortable an adjustment for me, I was already confident on the radios, had an easy time with course rules and VFR navigation. Just some minor benefits. If you have a lot of civilian ratings, I'm sure your comfort level will be even greater starting out and will even carry you a little further into training, but there will be that point where you're equal in skill and ability with your peers, just a matter of when it happens. By the time you're winged, there's no difference no matter what your prior time."

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Just some minor benefits. If you have a lot of civilian ratings, I'm sure your comfort level will be even greater starting out and will even carry you a little further into training, "[/I]
That was my only point, it will help a little.
As the alcohol begins to slow my brain on a Friday night, I relay to middle school grammar. except/accept effect/affect tomato/tomato I have seen this http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling amusing.