• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Does a previous NROTC Application hurt my chances?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Hello all,

I am currently in the process of an OCS application. Before going into college, I applied for an NROTC scholarship, but was not selected. I learned what I needed on my application in order to be competitive, (such as leadership experience) and I have strove the last 3 years to put together a strong OCS package. My concern is whether or not this previous application will hurt my chances of getting into OCS. Will the OCS boards see this as a red flag? Or will they not care? Also, does a previous application mean that I underwent a security clearance? (FYI I will be applying for SNA/SNFO)

Any and all responses are appreciated!

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
What did your recruiter say when you asked (or should be asking) these questions?

Well, when I was initially in his office for the first time a few months ago he saw that I had a previous application (it was on some online database, and we had to call the office that did my NROTC application to "transfer" it over or something). He saw this, and I told him what it was, and he hadn't brought it up since.

exNavyOffRec

Well, when I was initially in his office for the first time a few months ago he saw that I had a previous application (it was on some online database, and we had to call the office that did my NROTC application to "transfer" it over or something). He saw this, and I told him what it was, and he hadn't brought it up since.

What? There is no transfer of NROTC application?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Sorry, I should have clarified: My OR needed the office that originally did my NROTC scholarship application 3 years ago to "release" my account or whatever it's called before I could start my OCS application. When he got them to do so, he never mentioned the NROTC application again. I just talked to him this morning and he said that the OCS boards wouldn't see the NROTC application.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think your record will stand alone and your previous application for ROTC scholarship won't matter.