• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do ROTC and USNA Get Preference For Jets Over OCS Grads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
And, does it matter or help at all if one were to obtain a private license first before going to OCS?
Absolutely no preference off commission source on selection. It’s all grade based in primary.

A PPL won’t help, but an instrument rating and a bunch of IFR flight time would probably give an edge as a large portion of the primary syllabus is instrument sims and flights.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
No joke, every jet guy I know personally commissioned through OCS.

Separately from that anecdote, they say that your chances of getting gets are more or less 42%...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But especially no wtf would you think that for the jets question.

wow, that question actually managed to leave me absolutely speechless....wow....
I think you are being a bit hard on our new member. As someone who was out there as a USNA Blue and Gold Officer for nearly 15 years, talking to parents, students and school counselor, I can say that a very large number of people think Academy grads get preferential treatment on almost everything during their career. I can assure you, the question never left me speechless. It really isn't illogical if it is only a matter of preference. As long as the student met the grade requirements, someone could assume the USNA commissioned officer might get preference over the OCS "Johnny Come Lately". Why not give preference to the guy you have four years into, that made a commitment out of high school, that has far more military training then the OCS guy? We don't do that. But to a civilian it makes some sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.