• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Do I stand a chance?

k_8

Hello everyone!

Trying to commission Intel 1830.
I am currently enlisted at 11 years (ET1).
I have a bachelor's in electronic engineering technology with concentrations in unmanned aerial systems and security intelligence with a 3.5 GPA.
OAR - 49 (first time)-i know I'll need a waiver
I have 3 interviews all ranking me straight 10's from 2 CDRs and a CAPT.
I have 1 LOR from my mentor who is a LCDR.
My past evals have been- MP/MP/EP/EP/EP.
I have computer proficiency in some C languages, experience programming drones for autonomous operations, and proficiency in Russian, French, Spanish, and Romanian languages.

I know Intel is incredibly competitive and apart from scoring higher on the OAR, I feel like I actually have a chance.
Any advice is welcome! Thank you! 😊

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hello everyone!

I have a bachelor's in electronic engineering technology with concentrations in unmanned aerial systems and security intelligence with a 3.5 GPA.
I have computer proficiency in some C languages, experience programming drones for autonomous operations, and proficiency in Russian, French, Spanish, and Romanian languages.

I know Intel is incredibly competitive and apart from scoring higher on the OAR, I feel like I actually have a chance.

Welcome to the forums. Take the few minutes to search the forums, particularly the various Intel / IWC threads.

Additionally, there’s a “what’s considered competitive” forum to help find your answer.

Good luck.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Hello everyone!

My GPA was a little worse (around a 3.1) and I got a 50 and was picked up the first try. Every board is different though. Do you have any interest in flying? If you aren't picked up, you could apply again and retake the ASTB portion as well. We just had a guy from my command picked up at 38 with an age waiver.

k_8

Welcome to the forums. Take the few minutes to search the forums, particularly the various Intel / IWC threads.

Additionally, there’s a “what’s considered competitive” forum to help find your answer.

Good luck.
Hi!
Thanks for the info. I have read all of the forums as well as the PA on MyNavyHR. I think I'm competitive in other aspects, just wanted to hear opinions from others with experience.

k_8

My GPA was a little worse (around a 3.1) and I got a 50 and was picked up the first try. Every board is different though. Do you have any interest in flying? If you aren't picked up, you could apply again and retake the ASTB portion as well. We just had a guy from my command picked up at 38 with an age waiver.
Hi!
I have always thought about flying. I wouldn't have any issues passing the flight physical.
How do you pick what you get to fly? Or do you get to pick at all? If I chose to go aviator, then I'd like to think I'd wanna fly jets, but also have no experience in that community.
I've looked at the ASTB a few times and didn't find it particularly difficult. With some minimal studying, I think I could score high enough.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
Hi!
I have always thought about flying. I wouldn't have any issues passing the flight physical.
How do you pick what you get to fly? Or do you get to pick at all? If I chose to go aviator, then I'd like to think I'd wanna fly jets, but also have no experience in that community.
I've looked at the ASTB a few times and didn't find it particularly difficult. With some minimal studying, I think I could score high enough.
I'm not an aviator, just an Intel guy at a squadron. Your platform comes down to several factors; needs of the navy, grades, and possibly what you want. Most of my guys wanted jets, but one's husband got helos instead. He was crossrating and was lucky enough to get Jets. Your lifestyle (from what I've been told) varies greatly between rotary, fixed wing, and big wing.

It's kind of the same for Intel TBH. I wanted to go to an NSW command since I spent so much time with infantry and MARSOC while deployed, but I was told an Ensign couldn't go to a team.

k_8

I'm not an aviator, just an Intel guy at a squadron. Your platform comes down to several factors; needs of the navy, grades, and possibly what you want. Most of my guys wanted jets, but one's husband got helos instead. He was crossrating and was lucky enough to get Jets. Your lifestyle (from what I've been told) varies greatly between rotary, fixed wing, and big wing.

It's kind of the same for Intel TBH. I wanted to go to an NSW command since I spent so much time with infantry and MARSOC while deployed, but I was told an Ensign couldn't go to a team.
I think in order for me to switch my route and go aviation, I'd need a little more clarity on what my options were.
I've been wanting to commission as an Intel officer for a solid 5 years and put in the work to get my degree.
I'd love to go to an electronic attack squadron on P-8s or NSW (if possible).
I'd like to think that my enlisted experience couples with my language skills would set me apart from others.

Michael_J_Caboose

Squadron N2/N6
I think in order for me to switch my route and go aviation, I'd need a little more clarity on what my options were.
I've been wanting to commission as an Intel officer for a solid 5 years and put in the work to get my degree.
I'd love to go to an electronic attack squadron on P-8s or NSW (if possible).
I'd like to think that my enlisted experience couples with my language skills would set me apart from others.
Linguists are honestly pretty common. There are three of us on my flightline that are prior lings and three of the people from my OCS/NIOBC class studied various languages and are fluent in them. That's not meant to discourage you. I was at the point where if I couldn't commission in Intel, I was gonna EAS at 14 years. I wasn't sure if that focus in UAS would sway you to aviator as a backup.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi!
Thanks for the info. I have read all of the forums as well as the PA on MyNavyHR. I think I'm competitive in other aspects, just wanted to hear opinions from others with experience.

That’s what the other forums are for…

Otherwise every single person will create a “hey guys what are my odds” post every 10 minutes on here.

exNavyOffRec

Hi!
I would second the look and just add on to the existing thread.

You will have 2 waivers, OAR and TIS. NRC almost always rubber stamps waivers but the board is critical of them and only accepts those with waivers in limited numbers, so while you do have a good GPA and degree you are not just competing against the larger pool of applicants but will be in a smaller pool of those with waivers.

k_8

Linguists are honestly pretty common. There are three of us on my flightline that are prior lings and three of the people from my OCS/NIOBC class studied various languages and are fluent in them. That's not meant to discourage you. I was at the point where if I couldn't commission in Intel, I was gonna EAS at 14 years. I wasn't sure if that focus in UAS would sway you to aviator as a backup.
I'm not against it! Just isn't my first choice. I'll definitely consider it if I don't make it!

k_8

I would second the look and just add on to the existing thread.

You will have 2 waivers, OAR and TIS. NRC almost always rubber stamps waivers but the board is critical of them and only accepts those with waivers in limited numbers, so while you do have a good GPA and degree you are not just competing against the larger pool of applicants but will be in a smaller pool of those with waivers.
Thank you for the information! 😊