• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do any of these sound detrimental?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I am currently preparing to go to MEPS, but have to get a few medical records before I can go. Just out of curiosity, do any of these items sound like they would be of any issue to a prospective Naval Career?

-Tonsillectomy

-Tubes in ears as an infant (Removed, have not had an issue since)

-Trip to the hospital during college. (Heart was racing, decided to get checked out, got an EKG, everything was fine, they sent me home)

-Allergic to three antibiotics

-LASIK (I know this one is fine, but i'm concerned as to the fact that I have five items to list)

Also, my recruiter is downplaying the hospital trip, basically telling me to omit it, which I do not feel comfortable doing. He keeps saying that "The more you give them for a MEDREAD, the harder this process becomes". But if I go with my gut and list this stuff anyways, do these items sound like anything that would NPQ me?

Thanks in advance.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
If you don't have a diagnosed illness I'd probably follow your recruiters advice, and lay off the Ritalin ;).

Haha thankfully no Ritalin in my past. What worries me is that there's a new format to the medical form that needs to be filled out before MEPS, and on that at the bottom it requires me to list my Primary Physicians, and even some medical insurance information.

I'm torn between constantly seeing documents prefaced by "I sign that all of the above is true" and listening to the "inside scoop" advice of my recruiter. I don't want to jeopardize my potential career by either disclosing something I didn't need to, or by NOT disclosing something that I should have.

On another note, hope you're doing well, man!

exNavyOffRec

I am currently preparing to go to MEPS, but have to get a few medical records before I can go. Just out of curiosity, do any of these items sound like they would be of any issue to a prospective Naval Career?

-Tonsillectomy

-Tubes in ears as an infant (Removed, have not had an issue since)

-Trip to the hospital during college. (Heart was racing, decided to get checked out, got an EKG, everything was fine, they sent me home)

-Allergic to three antibiotics

-LASIK (I know this one is fine, but i'm concerned as to the fact that I have five items to list)

Also, my recruiter is downplaying the hospital trip, basically telling me to omit it, which I do not feel comfortable doing. He keeps saying that "The more you give them for a MEDREAD, the harder this process becomes". But if I go with my gut and list this stuff anyways, do these items sound like anything that would NPQ me?

Thanks in advance.

well, you will have to submit documents for LASIK, and maybe a few other things, but if anywhere on those documents it talks about going to the hospital it will raise flags, it is simple enough that I would just tell you to list it and get the documents, I wouldn't have risked my career telling you not to say anything.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
it is simple enough that I would just tell you to list it and get the documents, I wouldn't have risked my career telling you not to say anything.

Gotcha.

I've thought from the beginning that it wasn't anything of significance, but I feel the Navy should be the judge of that. So to be clear, you don't think the hospital visit will be of any issue?

exNavyOffRec

Gotcha.

I've thought from the beginning that it wasn't anything of significance, but I feel the Navy should be the judge of that. So to be clear, you don't think the hospital visit will be of any issue?

I wouldn't think so, if it was they would have treated you for something, several things could cause a racing heart, you could put down you were not feeling well, went to ER, evaluated and discharged.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
FloridaHawk,
It will ease your way if you are able to obtain the records from your ED visit, including EKG tracings, if any. In general, getting checked out for something isn't disqualifying, it's the discovered condition that derails people. The usual medical problems from childhood like ear tubes aren't typically disqualifying, since the treatments are pretty much self-limited and full recovery is the rule. Make it clear what happens when you check the "ALLERGY" box. Do you blow up like a toad and stop breathing when you take penicillin, or do you get an upset stomach with erythromycin (which it does to everyone)? Just be honest and precise.
R/

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
FloridaHawk,
It will ease your way if you are able to obtain the records from your ED visit, including EKG tracings, if any. In general, getting checked out for something isn't disqualifying, it's the discovered condition that derails people. The usual medical problems from childhood like ear tubes aren't typically disqualifying, since the treatments are pretty much self-limited and full recovery is the rule. Make it clear what happens when you check the "ALLERGY" box. Do you blow up like a toad and stop breathing when you take penicillin, or do you get an upset stomach with erythromycin (which it does to everyone)? Just be honest and precise.
R/

Yea there weren't any underlying conditions. I just got the records from the Hospital I went to that night, and they basically amounted my visit to the flu.

The allergy reactions weren't too severe. I got a light rash from two of them, and got hives from the other. No breathing issues, just topical reactions. This all occurred as a child, and I haven't been tested since.

Thanks for your input!

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Another thing, does simply having multiple "yes" answers on my medical form necessarily lower my chances of being PQ'ed? I know the more you give, the more they dig, but if all the listed items happen to be of little to no significance, then is it a non-issue?

Apologies for all the questions. My recruiter is a bit shady on the subject, so i'm just trying to get as many answers as I can.

TimeBomb

Noise, vibration and harshness
There isn't a hard and fast rule about the number of diagnoses and waiver recommendations. If you come across like a hypochondriac or a sick call commando, there may be questions about your motivation.