• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Do all people who want to be a NFO get an equal chance?

swampertness

For example, if a person has the same grades and everything in the NROTC program in college as the person in the Naval Academy or OCS, do they still have the same chance of getting selected or are the people in USNA more likely to get selected for flight training?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Academy and NROTC do not compete against each other. Each is given a certain number of spots to fill and OCS is utilized sort of like the swinging door that can be open or closed depending on what happens at the other two sources.

I've been lead to believe that the number of spots allocated to the two primary sources is generally equal.

swampertness

Academy and NROTC do not compete against each other. Each is given a certain number of spots to fill and OCS is utilized sort of like the swinging door that can be open or closed depending on what happens at the other two sources.

I've been lead to believe that the number of spots allocated to the two primary sources is generally equal.
What's the number of spots open for NROTC?

exNavyOffRec

+ 1 and when I looked at the data the numbers are pretty equal between all 3, but OCS can and does fluctuate, recent history has been good enough to keep things fairly equal.

red_ryder

None
In general, asking what your chances are is neither relevant nor helpful. If you want it, and you're a relatively well-rounded person, your chances are fair enough and you should apply. Are you wondering which commissioning source to select? OCS would be your best bet if you're not sure it's something you want, since you can take it or leave it *after* you get selected. It also has a slightly less odds of getting selected since it's a secondary commissioning source, but on the other hand, you only apply to what you want and don't have to accept anything you don't.