• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS DLPT Scores for Intel and IW

zack13usa

Going through the official NavyCS website, Intel applicant language skills should be quantified by a minimum Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) score of 2/2/2
Read more at: https://www.navycs.com/officer/intelligenceofficer.html
OPIs,

Observations/ Questions:
  • If DLPT scores boosts applications, I find it odd that some applicants have been informed that scores will not be needed before applying to OCS
  • I've also read that current military personnel and contractors are the only ones allowed to take their DLPT. This contradicts what I've been told by my OR
  • Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI), is it needed as well? if so, when and where is it going to be required throughout the process?
  • Feel free to share you experience in this regard

exNavyOffRec

Going through the official NavyCS website, Intel applicant language skills should be quantified by a minimum Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) score of 2/2/2
Read more at: https://www.navycs.com/officer/intelligenceofficer.html
OPIs,

Observations/ Questions:
  • If DLPT scores boosts applications, I find it odd that some applicants have been informed that scores will not be needed before applying to OCS
  • I've also read that current military personnel and contractors are the only ones allowed to take their DLPT. This contradicts what I've been told by my OR
  • Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI), is it needed as well? if so, when and where is it going to be required throughout the process?
  • Feel free to share you experience in this regard

That site is not made by those that make the selections, the PA specifically says foreign language skills not required, and per past board member foreign language skills were not considered for selection.

exNavyOffRec

Good point NavyOffRec, but isn't still "favorable"?

again, the person that I met that sat a few boards said it wasn't considered, the main factors were tech degree, high GPA, great LOR's, etc....

not a single person I had selected mentioned foreign language on their application, but they did have high GPA, tech degree, etc....

LET73

Good point NavyOffRec, but isn't still "favorable"?
The reason they aren't all that interested in your DLPT scores is that very, very few intel billets require language proficiency, and basically none of those are jobs you'd get early in your career. If the timing works out you can get an attache job, or you can apply to be an FAO, but intel officer jobs don't generally require foreign language skills. I haven't really used mine in the eight years I've been an intel officer.

zack13usa

I haven't really used mine in the eight years I've been an intel officer.
Interesting...so I guess the alternative is having an interpreter assigned to your unit or having one per request?
And do you happen to know if the situation is similar for IW?

exNavyOffRec

Interesting...so I guess the alternative is having an interpreter assigned to your unit or having one per request?
And do you happen to know if the situation is similar for IW?

I think you have a misconception on what Intel officers do, the ones I worked with and the ones I put in were assigned to squadrons, ships, and NIOC's. They reviewed information that came in and created briefs and reports. IW officers from what my Intel friends told me are fairly similar but more on the tech side of things.

I think from what you have said the job you are thinking of is CTI which is the interpreter and is an enlisted position, they do all the "language stuff" and then give the info to the IW officers.

zack13usa

I think from what you have said the job you are thinking of is CTI
Thanks for the clarification NavyOffRec.
I agree, I think going through and reading from multiple resources was the main cause of this confusion....to give you an example; a statement I read before explicitly stated that enabling the collection of human intelligence was one of the key responsibilities for an Intelligence officer along with the responsibility of overseeing the work of some of the CTIs and encapsulating some of their job duties "e.g. linguistics."

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the clarification NavyOffRec.
I agree, I think going through and reading from multiple resources was the main cause of this confusion....to give you an example; a statement I read before explicitly stated that enabling the collection of human intelligence was one of the key responsibilities for an Intelligence officer along with the responsibility of overseeing the work of some of the CTIs and encapsulating some of their job duties "e.g. linguistics."

LET73 could give more detailed info, but I believe in general the IS rate works with Intel Officers, CT's work with IW and Intel, and IT's work with IP Officers

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
LET73 could give more detailed info, but I believe in general the IS rate works with Intel Officers, CT's work with IW and Intel, and IT's work with IP Officers
That is generally correct. There can be some mixing at different levels and commands depending on the needs of the unit/staff.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
....a statement I read before explicitly stated that enabling the collection of human intelligence was one of the key responsibilities for an Intelligence officer...

One can "enable the collection of human intelligence" by writing collection requirements on the customer side or being an desk officer on the collection side. Neither of those jobs require foreign language skills.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One can "enable the collection of human intelligence" by writing collection requirements on the customer side or being an desk officer on the collection side. Neither of those jobs require foreign language skills.
Another prospective Intel O's dreams of a James Bond-like lifestyle smashed to tiny bits! :D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Having a degree in Chinese does not help for applying to Intel? Did I read that correctly?

The type of intel work you will likely do in the Navy isn't helped much at all by knowing a foreign language, even one like Chinese, especially early in your career. The folks who would be much more interested in your Chinese skills are some of the three-letter agencies.

exNavyOffRec

Having a degree in Chinese does not help for applying to Intel? Did I read that correctly?

you read that right, to be blunt you would be better off with a degree in say math or some other STEM degree.

edit: you degree would be great if you wanted to go enlisted as a linguist.