• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diving Officers and JDO's

Ventus

Weather Boy
I'm looking for any information about Diving Officers in the Navy. It seems like most of the divers are enlisted but there seem to be a few positions open to officers.
Are these collateral duties or are they specifically tied to the Engineering Officer? What else can get you into diving in the Navy as an officer?

I found this document about Joint Service Diving Officers
https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/documents/JDO.pdf

I know it's kind of opposite of what this forum is about but underwater stuff is my favorite after aviation.

Thanks in advance.

BigRed389

None
I'm looking for any information about Diving Officers in the Navy. It seems like most of the divers are enlisted but there seem to be a few positions open to officers.
Are these collateral duties or are they specifically tied to the Engineering Officer? What else can get you into diving in the Navy as an officer?

I found this document about Joint Service Diving Officers
https://www.public.navy.mil/netc/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/documents/JDO.pdf

I know it's kind of opposite of what this forum is about but underwater stuff is my favorite after aviation.

Thanks in advance.
Officers become divers (ie attend dive school) only when there's an actual need for them to do it.

From the list in that document:
EOD guys qualify as part of their standard training pipeline because it's part of their basic job description to do underwater ordnance disposal...which can require diving. So all of them attend dive school.

Engineering Duty Officers do not all become divers. Those that do pick it up as a further sub-specialty, and even those guys do not stay in a dive unit their entire careers. The requirement exists because the EDO community is responsible for deep sea Dive and Salvage ops (Mobile Dive and Salvage Units) - basically picking wrecked ships and aircraft up off the seafloor.

Some Seabee Officers need it because they provide officer leadership for their Underwater Construction Teams, which do...exactly what you think that means. There may be other requirements for it in their community, but that's the big driver I'm aware of.

wink

VS NFO. Blue and Gold Officer
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the day I recruited some OCS guys for the Diving and Salvage program. I don't know if they still have quotas for it. BigRed might be able to confirm, most diving and salvage officers are prior enlisted Limited Duty Officer. What we call unrestricted line officers who have a diving and salvage designator are not too common and probably sourced from ROTC and USNA.

exNavyOffRec

Back in the day I recruited some OCS guys for the Diving and Salvage program. I don't know if they still have quotas for it. BigRed might be able to confirm, most diving and salvage officers are prior enlisted Limited Duty Officer. What we call unrestricted line officers who have a diving and salvage designator are not too common and probably sourced from ROTC and USNA.
I didn't see that when I was there so it probably went away. If you exclude EOD the only officers that I met who were divers were all prior enlisted ND's

The EOD pipeline is not easy to get into, for a short while they would only accept prior enlisted into the EOD officer pipeline.

AllAmerican75

Back to School!
None
As @BigRed389 said, the JDO program is for EDOs, Seabees, Coast Guardsmen, EOD officers, and Army Corps of Engineering personnel. It's designed to get officers into diving for salvage, repair, and underwater construction management. There is also a similar course for medical personnel that focuses on diving medicine and physiology. I think they also learn how to use a hyperbaric chamber for recompression, as well.

As an officer, there are few ways to get into diving. The SEALs are another route, but it's infinitely harder. There is also a scuba diving course open to submarine personnel and it seems to be pretty common. I don't know much about it, though I have many 1120 buddies who have their scuba pins.

The only URL dudes doing diving and salvage are the EOD bubbas. They are the ones in command and control of the MDSUs. I think there are some Warrants who are divers, but I don't think I've ever met one. On the HR side of things, divers and SWCC guys get the shaft as they don't have their own LDOs or regular commissioned officers (URL, RL, whatever) to advocate for them (SWCC recently started creating Warrants but I don't know how that's working out for them).

Last edited:

Ventus

Weather Boy
The only URL dudes doing diving and salvage are the EOD bubbas. They are the ones in command and control of the MDSUs. I think there are some Warrants who are divers, but I don't think I've ever met one. On the HR side of things, divers and SWCC guys get the shaft as they don't have their own LDOs or regular commissioned officers (URL, RL, whatever) to advocate for them (SWCC recently started creating Warrants but I don't know how that's working out for them).
That was my next question. In Marine Corps Meteorology, we have no normal officers other than the LDO's in charge of the the entire career field that represent us at the HQ USMC level and at the Pentagon. All the normal operational level Officers are all Warrant Officers. All of my OIC's have been Warrant officers unless I was attached to an intelligence shop.

I figured, diving is such a niche specialty that most of their officers must be Warrant Officers as well, but I've only ever seen ONE Navy WO my entire career and that was the CWO4 in charge of the chow hall at NAS Sigonella.

BigRed389

None
That was my next question. In Marine Corps Meteorology, we have no normal officers other than the LDO's in charge of the the entire career field that represent us at the HQ USMC level and at the Pentagon. All the normal operational level Officers are all Warrant Officers. All of my OIC's have been Warrant officers unless I was attached to an intelligence shop.

I figured, diving is such a niche specialty that most of their officers must be Warrant Officers as well, but I've only ever seen ONE Navy WO my entire career and that was the CWO4 in charge of the chow hall at NAS Sigonella.
You'll see plenty more Navy WOs/LDOs in operational commands. Never been in one that didn't have at least one (usually way more).

As far as "Officering" or HQ level sponsorship for Dive communities, that comes from the parent communities that owns the unit (e.g EODMU/MDSU/RMC Dive Lockers/UCTs/etc).

Here's a better breakdown if you're really curious: https://www.usna.edu/Users/oceano/pguth/website/shipwrecks/eng_tech_2/navy_diving.pdf