• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diver

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
damn these old threads.. I've already given 2 rep points on old threads today..
:p

I don't mind them at all because they are like reruns of shows you missed and I intentionally handed out rep points to several quality posts that stood the test of time.

JTB7

Maybe you can re-read an article about her and then throw some more super classy emoticons out. I'm glad that a tech making a significant sacrifice in the service of her nation can be used as fodder for your cutesy remarks. Asshole.

http://www.clarkforkchronicle.com/article.php/20080206134803249

This is the article I read:
http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/11/ap_wounded_eod_112308/

I'm sorry for that. I admire her perseverance to hold on and keep on doing what she does. I would probably kill myself if I got my arms blown off. I have respect for anyone that has served in the military.

Kyoowashugi

(I ask because my family is deadset on the idea that there are no women NDs/EODs).

Damned lie - we've had two female EOD officers (Navy, of course) visit our unit in the last two years for recruitment and a classmate I'm close friends with has her heart dead-set on EOD. It may not be easy, but it is certainly possible.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
There was a female in a friend of mine's 2nd Class Diver class (this was probably '92-'93 time frame), and there have been at least 3 female dive officers in the Coast Guard that I know of (going through the Basic Dive Officer and Ships Salvage Dive Officer courses).

On a side note: The female in my friend's class decided to not wear her underwear in class with the UDT shorts (they look like tan Daisy Dukes). The instructor had to stop class as there are exercises that involve you doing a six inch leg lift and opening/closing your legs, and the class was getting a bit, um,... distracted.:eek:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...there have been at least 3 female dive officers in the Coast Guard that I know of (going through the Basic Dive Officer and Ships Salvage Dive Officer courses).

On a side note: The female in my friend's class decided to not wear her underwear in class with the UDT shorts (they look like tan Daisy Dukes). The instructor had to stop class as there are exercises that involve you doing a six inch leg lift and opening/closing your legs, and the class was getting a bit, um,... distracted.:eek:

There's a girl-type Coastie diver in the class I'm instructing now. I don't know if that was her or not... :icon_tong

NB for New Guys: that's one great example of how callsigns happen (Commando? Camel? Daisy?), at least in the Navy. I don't know if Coastie Aviation does callsigns...

lmnop

Damned lie - we've had two female EOD officers (Navy, of course) visit our unit in the last two years for recruitment and a classmate I'm close friends with has her heart dead-set on EOD. It may not be easy, but it is certainly possible.

Just a confirmation of what others have said, there are women on both the Officer and Enlisted side of things. As a point of reference, we have ~400 Officers in paygrades O1-O6 and 11 of them are women. My YG started out with 3 women at BDO school, only one of which made it the whole way through to become an EOD Tech.

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
New link for Navy Diving and Salvage Training Center Panama:
https://www.netc.navy.mil/centers/ceneoddive/ndstc/default.cfm?fa=main.home

Dive school courses at all levels == kick in the nuts. The longer the school, the longer the suck :D

You need to ace the PRT screen, and then some.

Never, ever, ever quit. Don't even think about quitting or you have already failed.

I have kind of a masochistic streak, so I'm kind of looking forward to the horrors of dive school, should I get into the program (so far all I can do is dangle when it comes to pull-ups -- it's a work in progress).

Sheeeyut, quitting ain't in my dictionary. :D

As for all the assurance of women divers/EODs: thanks! Sometimes it's easy to listen to your (sometimes) negative-nancy mother when you're stuck out in the boonies, but now I know better. :)

lmnop

Another question concerning NDs:

Vision waiver possible, or no? I can't find a solid answer.

Here's the link for the MANMED. Diving Duty vision requirements are on page 79, EOD vision requirements are on page 90. The Diver uncorrected vision requirements do contain a typo, which should read 20/200 uncorrected rather than 20/20 uncorrected. It's correct in the SO/EOD standards, but I guess they missed it in the Diver section.

http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/Files/Media/mmd/MMDChapter15.pdf

As far as waivers, that will be a BUMED call. I've never run across NDs or EOD techs with initial entry vision waivers, but that isn't to say that it doesn't happen.