• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disqualified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokescreen

Wuzup guys?! I'm facing a problem and hoping someone here can give me some info. I went through MEPS the other day and it wasn't too bad at all. The problem I have is on the medical form they ask if I've ever had breathing problems as a child. I checked yes b/c I did as a small boy and now I have to go back next week for a PFT to induce a breathing problem. Does anyone here know exactly what goes on in a PFT? If a breathing problem does occur, could this be the end of the line for me? If anyone can tell me what goes on or give any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

-Smoke

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Just a hint, "NEVER ADMIT TO ANYTHING", esp. if you had a problem when you were a child and havent had the problem since. What you did was throw up a big flag. Now if it is a current problem then thats a little different. If its a standard PFT "Physical fitness test" then it push ups, sit ups, and a 1.5 mile run. Good luck

Dave

Tahoe

I rather think it's a good idea to fill out those forms very honestly. The people you are going to be serving with in the air depend on you being healthy! If it was a problem when you were a child and you don't think it is now, great, it will show that in your pft. I guess I just feel that you owe it to the people you will be serving with that you will be as safe in the air as everyone else who has gone through all of this and passed honestly. If you think you're fine don't worry about it, be honest and things will work out for the best!

Best of luck

-Tahoe

Jeff29

Science Project
As one who has dealt with this quite a bit, I submit the following: The form you fill out is called a "Medical History", so if any of the items on the list are documented in your medical history (i.e. you have seen a doctor and been diagnosed) then tell them about it. Otherwise, don't say anything about it; it's not part of your medical history.

As Tahoe said, it is important that you are healthy, but if a problem has never been serious enough for you to see a doctor about in the past, and the Navy docs don't find anything during your physical, then I'd say you're probably healthy.

An example from my medical history: I get seasonal hayfever for which I take over-the-counter drugs. When filling out my initial medical forms, I put it down (at the time it didn't really matter because I was not applying for aviation). When I began applying for a transfer to aviation, I was told not to mention any conditions that hadn't been officailly diagnosed (i.e. my hayfever). Of course, it was already in my records so there was nothing I could do about that. When I had my flight physical, the doc asked me a few questions, took an x-ray of my sinuses and chest, and cleared me. It turned out OK, but I went through a lot of unnecessary stress in the days before my physical, and I'll always have "hayfever" listed in my record.

I know this doesn't help those who have already been through the physical, but hopefully it can help others in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.