• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Disassociated Sea Tour Likelihood

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Isn’t there also a “Letter of intent” to resign that OP should be submitting? If he just starts the conversation and PERS doesn’t hear those magic words, they can cut him essentially whenever they want and get him for the disassociated (knowing full well what he is likely getting at but hasn’t established it officially). There are plenty of folks who have been in basically this exact position and it is kind of an elaborate high stakes poker game.

It used to be an actual letter, now I believe it's an email and then the NSIPS resignation request.

The questions that I'm asking are not just "am I going to be put on for a disassociated?" but also
  1. What is the likely shore-tour length that I should expect, given my unique circumstances?
  2. Should I inform PERS now (with command endorsement) that I request to have my PRD extended by 3 months in order to hit my MSR, or should I wait until later on? If they know NOW that I'm asking to extend to my MSR and thereby are going to resign, won't that mean that PERS will likely modify my shore-tour order SUPER SHORT to maybe 24 months in order to get as much as they can out of me for my disassociated vs. the minimum 12 months (ref: MILPERSMAN 1301-108) in order to PCS me to a CONUS Sea Duty?
These are all of the things that I am considering and I would really appreciate if there were individuals with PERS-43/detailer experience who could provide honest advice on what I can do for myself and my family.

Appreciate the help from everyone so far! :)

As others have said, coordinate with your XO and call now. Unfortunately, you hold none of the cards here, which sucks.

MGoBrew11

pilot
It used to be an actual letter, now I believe it's an email and then the NSIPS resignation request.

As others have said, coordinate with your XO and call now. Unfortunately, you hold none of the cards here, which sucks.
Nah, I’m talking about something different. The actual resignation request is indeed through NSIPS. My buddies that have been in OP’s position (or similar) have been told by detailers past that they needed to submit an official letter of intent for detailing considerations for disassociated during their shore tour.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Nah, I’m talking about something different. The actual resignation request is indeed through NSIPS. My buddies that have been in OP’s position (or similar) have been told by detailers past that they needed to submit an official letter of intent for detailing considerations for disassociated during their shore tour.

Huh, I was OCONUS but was emailing my detailer asking about it in 2019 and I remember something along the lines of "The email suffices as your notice" since the MILPERSMAN was from mid-2000s.

KODAK

"Any time in this type?"
pilot
I would be mentally prepared for a minimum of a year on a ship. Right now PERS has been adjusting shore tours as short as they legally can (I was told minimum of 24 months from an E-2 FRS friend) to preserve that year of sea duty eligibility.

Also you mentioned your unique situation, but (just being honest here) you have described the exact situation of basically every (non-prior enlisted) helo and big wing aviator that I know right now (ie the folks that are staying in because they are already too close to 20 to justify leaving). I only say that because the detailer certainly won’t see it as unique and as previously mentioned he/ she can just go in and manually adjust your PRD as suits their needs. I’ve literally seen a detailer do exactly that on his laptop and let a friend extend to MSR at the FRS. So again they can do it, but that was another “special case”.

In terms of planning out the end of your next sea tour, a friend currently in a MCM staff job on the west coast is getting Skillbridge and 60 days of terminal leave, but aviators where I am (a ship in Norfolk) are not having Skillbridge approved and getting a maximum of 30 days of terminal leave. For clarity, I’m certainly not saying pick your orders based on that but it’s another data point. When I was up for orders the detailer had a “lot” of San Diego options but only bad Norfolk options and since I wanted Norfolk that was my choice. Things can also change fast - especially with more and more JOs choosing to just do one year and get out ASAP - so the land of good deals now may not be so in 6 months or a year.

The major issue with the Skillbridge program is that the ‘losing’ command has to agree to gap a billet for however long Skillbridge is approved for, and with manning already very very bad many COs are not willing to accept yet another loss in manning to make the transition out a little bit easier. And I’ve known folks who have snuck good deals through (C-12 overseas or PEP flying tours) and even then those seemed like miraculous drug deals to negotiate and get approved. The standard post shore tour assignment is now largely a boat because of the aforementioned large number of gapped sea duty billets and you have to have a pretty convincing reason (example: you your self are pregnant and therefore are unable to pass sea duty screening) to wriggle out of anything likely coming your way.

So hope for the best and certainly ask early and often, but in the current climate I would not expect anyone to do anything to make this last tour any easier on you or the family. I hate writing that but it is what it is.. For me it took understanding that no matter how well or poorly I performed during my prior assignment this job would be waiting for me - it isn’t great, but it also isn’t permanent! Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:

robav8r

None
Contributor
Based on the current manning environment, perhaps the smart money would be on talking to the detailer way early and at least trying to get the boat/coast most beneficial to you and your family. Knowing the shit sandwich is coming and be able to plan for it earlier, rather than last minute, might open unexpected doors later on . . .

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Based on the current manning environment, perhaps the smart money would be on talking to the detailer way early and at least trying to get the boat/coast most beneficial to you and your family. Knowing the shit sandwich is coming and be able to plan for it earlier, rather than last minute, might open unexpected doors later on . . .
Precisely what I was recommending and agreed over and over and over again.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Precisely what I was recommending and agreed over and over and over again.
I had an awesome time during my disassociated tour as a Shooter. And I realize everyone's "situation" and desires are different. I knew going to the boat was just part of plan in terms of where I wanted to end up. I was lucky enough to earn my Mini-Boss letter and served with some amazing icons of Naval Aviation (ADM Winnefeld, RADM Haley, and many, many other shipmates that are still in my network today).

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
There are plenty of folks who have been in basically this exact position and it is kind of an elaborate high stakes poker game.

In case anyone hasn’t made the announcement yet, every conversation with MMOA/PERS folks nowadays is an elaborate high stakes poker game. No matter how much we all collectively have on the table, the house always wins.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
My buddies that have been in OP’s position (or similar) have been told by detailers past that they needed to submit an official letter of intent for detailing considerations for disassociated during their shore tour.

Hah that is funny. It used to be drop your letter 9-12 months prior. Then it became a hard 12 months. Then it became submit prior to DH slate. And now it is apparently this. Pretty soon it is going to be as you give your first oath of office as an ENS.

Love PERS "business rules" :)

OscarMyers

None
Hah that is funny. It used to be drop your letter 9-12 months prior. Then it became a hard 12 months. Then it became submit prior to DH slate. And now it is apparently this. Pretty soon it is going to be as you give your first oath of office as an ENS.

Love PERS "business rules" :)
And that’s the problem. The “business rules” are always changing and never in the favor of the service member. It’s frustrating when you’re trying to play a game where only the other side knows the rules and they’re constantly changing them.