• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Direct Commission Interview - Thoughts?

I will keep certain details ambiguous so no one knows the true identities of those involved, but I had an interview a few weeks ago for a DCO in CEC.

During said interview, I was asked to commit to something that would affect my career, but that commitment was in no way a requirement of the direct commission. It was pulled out of thin air, and it was evident that if I did not commit to this certain thing, I would not be given a good appraisal.

Any advice? I don't want to cause problems, but I don't find this to be proper conduct and I want to be given the best shot possible on my packet.

Sorry, I suspect you’ll get some snarky responses. I think anyone here will need a bit more info to give any kind of intelligent answer. From the surface, and with very little info here, I suspect the officer in question was trying to impress upon you that signing on the dotted line is a commitment. When you get orders to deploy (or whatever), there’s not often any wiggle room for “my son’s first birthday”, “my dad’s having health problems”, or “this will be really bad for my career”.

If you’re not willing to give any more context, i think your post about the situation reflects more poorly on you than on him (sorry).

Sorry, I suspect you’ll get some snarky responses. I think anyone here will need a bit more info to give any kind of intelligent answer. From the surface, and with very little info here, I suspect the officer in question was trying to impress upon you that signing on the dotted line is a commitment. When you get orders to deploy (or whatever), there’s not often any wiggle room for “my son’s first birthday”, “my dad’s having health problems”, or “this will be really bad for my career”.

If you’re not willing to give any more context, i think your post about the situation reflects more poorly on you than on him (sorry).
I understand your point and concern, but obviously I don't want this to come back and bite me later, nor do I wish to vilify said officer on this site, regardless of whether or not I agree with their behavior.

Their question had absolutely nothing to do with deployment, but I see your point.

I will give you an analogy of the commitment they are asking for. Again, just an analogy - but the closest I can get without giving away too much.

"I think you are joining the Navy just for the college benefits. If you receive this commission, will you pledge not to go to college for the next 20 years?"

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I will keep certain details ambiguous so no one knows the true identities of those involved, but I had an interview a few weeks ago for a DCO in CEC.

During said interview, I was asked to commit to something that would affect my career, but that commitment was in no way a requirement of the direct commission. It was pulled out of thin air, and it was evident that if I did not commit to this certain thing, I would not be given a good appraisal.

Any advice? I don't want to cause problems, but I don't find this to be proper conduct and I want to be given the best shot possible on my packet.
Can you be more specific (maybe in a DM) about what they asked you to commit to?

subreservist

"I think you are joining the Navy just for the college benefits. If you receive this commission, will you pledge not to go to college for the next 20 years?"

I don't think you're looking for "help" or "thoughts" with an issue. Seems you just need to vent.

This analogy you used gives the impression that you provided the Officer the sense that you are applying to the program for reasons beyond a calling to lead Sailors and serve. Whatever it is they said was most likely based on something you said or body language (even if you feel otherwise). Although the Reserves is "part-time", you have to give the impression that you will put you're all into it and that it's not just "something to do".

Based on how you've described your experience on this forum i.e. by not describing it at all, would give me pause on your ability to serve as an Officer.

I don't think you're looking for "help" or "thoughts" with an issue. Seems you just need to vent.

This analogy you used gives the impression that you provided the Officer the sense that you are applying to the program for reasons beyond a calling to lead Sailors and serve. Whatever it is they said was most likely based on something you said or body language (even if you feel otherwise). Although the Reserves is "part-time", you have to give the impression that you will put you're all into it and that it's not just "something to do".

Based on how you've described your experience on this forum i.e. by not describing it at all, would give me pause on your ability to serve as an Officer.

I came here to seek guidance, and to explore the possibility of the interview being excluded on the basis that the interviewer asked for an inappropriate commitment and may have intentionally tanked the score based on a refusal to make such a commitment.

Your contention that my intentional ambiguity somehow reveals my ability, or lack thereof, to serve as an officer is an obviously tortured rationale.

On the contrary, my attempt to receive guidance without naming names, bersmirching reputations, or otherwise divulging information that was gained in confidence would, in my opinion, show a level of discretion worthy of credence. I digress.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Whoever you interviewed with likely doesn't have the pull to keep you from getting picked up by calling the board. If they do, then it doesn't matter if they don't like what you posted online; they will make sure you aren't picked regardless based on you not committing.. We would seriously need to know what it is they asked you to commit to. Not going to College? As a reservist? That would be silly. But we can't know if that's a good analogy without knowing what it is they asked you to commit to.

Like, did they ask you not to use the medical benefits? That would be a silly commitment too. But we don't know. So can't answer.

Did they ask if you wouldn't become a conscientious objector or DOR or whatever as soon as the time to serve came up? Maybe not as silly of a request. Again, we don't know and cannot answer as such. PM Hair Warrior as they requested; he/she is in the Intel Reserve game... (BUT maybe that's who you interviewed with!)

exNavyOffRec

I came here to seek guidance, and to explore the possibility of the interview being excluded on the basis that the interviewer asked for an inappropriate commitment and may have intentionally tanked the score based on a refusal to make such a commitment.

Your contention that my intentional ambiguity somehow reveals my ability, or lack thereof, to serve as an officer is an obviously tortured rationale.

On the contrary, my attempt to receive guidance without naming names, bersmirching reputations, or otherwise divulging information that was gained in confidence would, in my opinion, show a level of discretion worthy of credence. I digress.
odds of someone knowing who interviewed you are low, and odds are they asked the same questions to each person they interviewed, trying to get a good answer without us know the entire context of the questions is difficult.

FinkUFreaky

pilot

Naming the person would be besmirching reputations. Listing what they asked you would not.

Another small point is, "discretion" can a good thing most of the time. Obviously, discretion is required if you're holding any sort of secret or TS/SCI clearance. "Discretion" is not good if someone is asking something they shouldn't be of future candidates. In fact, discretion in some cases might show that you don't have "Officer-like qualities (OLQ)" if what they asked of you is so bad. Again, something that we cannot ascertain unless we know what you were asked to commit to.

Acting like you know more about it than the folks here who have, or are currently serving is the “tortured rationale”.

subreservist

There is nothing limiting you from describing your situation - we don't need names, dates, location,, heck we don't even need to know it was for CEC but for some reason you revealed that! You are NOT the only one in the world applying to CEC DCO. If you want total discretion, don't post to begin with and seek in person guidance.

Whatever was asked was inappropriate to YOU. It could very well be a totally fine question to another applicant.

Here is my possible analogy to the unrevealed question: "Would you be willing to deploy overseas for 1 year immediately after your commission?"

If your thought to the above - "Wait a minute, it doesn't say anything about deploying that long right away is a requirement to the program. Doing that would impact my main career!". Then the interviewer says "Well, if you're not willing to commit to such an option, you may not be the type we need for this program".

All DCO programs are tough to get into - the interviews will be challenging. Some folks think they can just join the Navy and simply sign up, not recognizing the trials and tribulations needed to get through the process just to get an application on the table.

nodropinufaka

I am in a diff boat.

I value honesty and integrity. I don't want to hear some nonsense from someone on how they are here to serve their country.

What is wrong with- "I think it will be good for me professionally?" "I knocked up my gf when I was 18 so enlisted to take care of my family and now it is my career"

subreservist

I am in a diff boat.

I value honesty and integrity. I don't want to hear some nonsense from someone on how they are here to serve their country.

What is wrong with- "I think it will be good for me professionally?" "I knocked up my gf when I was 18 so enlisted to take care of my family and now it is my career"

That would be fine to enlist, where there is a ton of jobs we need to fill. But for an Officer applicant, just like any other above minimum wage job/career, you have to sell yourself and demonstrate why the employer should hire YOU instead of the other applicants. Ideally, you'd be able to be honest and present yourself as the ideal candidate.

But if a prospective Officer applicant told me they wanted the selection to take care of their family, they probably wouldn't get my vote. The focus needs to be about what you bring to the Navy, not what the Navy can do for you.