• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVSURob

Has anyone figured out a good diet for training for a PFT?

Obviously no McD's is a plus.

Thanks,
Rob

fighterfemme24

Not only am I an Officer Candidate, but also I as a varsity athlete I have learned from many years of competition and training that diet is a key factor in any kind of training situation. A lot of this may actually come as no surprise to you, but it’s mostly a lot of fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and pastas, milk, and lean meats.

While going through an intense work out or training schedule you will want to eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables like in salads, or for desserts. For a little more substance to fill you up stick with lean meats like grilled chicken, or a lean cut of beef. Stick to complex carbs like whole grain breads and pastas, and stay away from a lot of white bread, pasta, cakes, and cookies, which will just turn into sugar and then fat if not used by your body right away.

An ideal meal for me is a piece of grilled chicken, steamed veggies, a salad with a light dressing, brown rice, and cottage cheese with pineapple chunks.

Unless it’s once and awhile I try to avoid a lot of sugar and alcohol. Before a large competition or PFT I will carbo load a few days out by eating a lot more pasta and bread. That stores up a lot of energy for upcoming physically strenuous events where you need to be at your best. I also don't really drink anything other than skim milk and tons of water anymore. You need to be drinking as much water as you possibly can throughout the day, both while you're training, and when you go down to OCS.

You don't have to stop eating cake and cookies, but keep it very limited. Working out will burn those calories, but those foods won't be of any nutritional value to your body. Just like you need to be disciplined with working out to perform at your best, you also need to be disciplined with what you are putting into your body to be able to reach your physical peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.