• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Desktop Computer?

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because you can buy/build a gaming desktop for cheaper?
If my purpose was for gaming, I'd build a custom machine. I can't say it would be cheaper though. I have an expensive taste in components. :icon_boun

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
It's good. One of my roommates had a desktop. Just as long as you don't have a monster CRT monitor.

sanders

laptops are better but desktops are not really a problem. But please... please bring a printer. Don't be that guy that uses his roommates printers constantly.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
laptops are better but desktops are not really a problem. But please... please bring a printer. Don't be that guy that uses his roommates printers constantly.

Or have everyone go in for paper and ink, that way you aren't the buddy fucker who won't let anyone use his printer....

MettGT

pilot
A desktop is doable, but just remember space is limited. As for printers, I recommend getting a printer that's also a scanner/copier. It'll pay dividends.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
A desktop is doable, but just remember space is limited. As for printers, I recommend getting a printer that's also a scanner/copier. It'll pay dividends.

Agreed. You don't want to drive all the way to staples every time you want something copied. I doubt your company will come off of any copying resources for you unless you're the plt cmdr making your morning reports.

BTW, haven't seen you in awhile Mett. How's life in go-fast land? I'll be selecting in 3ish weeks. Hopefully I'll be up there soon.

WinterMute

Thanks for the info all.
The reason for the original post is that I have a 939 desktop that has held up surprisingly well as a gaming rig for the last 5 years, but it is slowly giving up the ghost. I have a cheap little netbook, but I have enough components, and memories, sunk into my desktop that I would hate to see it go.
I am vacillating on the decision to save my money, give my desktop a viking funeral, and live with my little netbook, or go out and slap a barebones i7 mobo/proc combo into my current rig.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info all.
The reason for the original post is that I have a 939 desktop that has held up surprisingly well as a gaming rig for the last 5 years, but it is slowly giving up the ghost. I have a cheap little netbook, but I have enough components, and memories, sunk into my desktop that I would hate to see it go.
I am vacillating on the decision to save my money, give my desktop a viking funeral, and live with my little netbook, or go out and slap a barebones i7 mobo/proc combo into my current rig.
I've got an i7 (quad core) in my laptop, running 64 bit OS, with 4 available DIMMS (up to 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM), and 1 gig of dedicated video memory. This is a Lenovo W510 which cost about $1500. Just food for thought.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
One of the rooms I lived in for a period of time had 2 guys with desktops. Some of the desks are large enough to fit the monitors. For the smaller desks, you can always take the top shelf off. Space is tight in there, but its not bad enough to not be able to take a desktop.

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of the rooms I lived in for a period of time had 2 guys with desktops. Some of the desks are large enough to fit the monitors. For the smaller desks, you can always take the top shelf off. Space is tight in there, but its not bad enough to not be able to take a desktop.
Not to mention small form factors and ultra small form factors are fairly common these days. The big clunky towers are old so school.