• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

depth perception

gusthebus229

does anyone see the circles at MEPS easily? i've never had any eye trouble whatsoever from the FAA or anyone and i couldn't distinguish one little circle at MEPS this morning

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Yes. Same thing happened to me. I failed the depth perception test. Now I'm in flight school. I think MEPS have horrible machines, because I have done 3 test on 3 machines and passed 2. The one I failed was at MEPS. I just got a civil doc to test me, write a letter saying I had unremarkable depth perception. Don't sweat the small stuff.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
I just took it too this morning. Seemed fine to me. I noticed a trend that all of the lines had the popped up circles in numbers 2-4, none were 1 or 5; but that was after the fact.

FLY_USMC

pilot
1.) You aren't the first to have problems with the depth perception test, and assuming you don't run into walls frequently, you're probably fine.

2.) My personal technique, which was just utilized at my annual this morning, relax your eyes, don't stare at the circles for any length of time, and take your time. You WILL eventually notice a very subtle difference. Take your time.

3.) Lastly, I've heard of people that have had problems with it that have been cleared hot to civilian eye doctors, who have a "better" test that is much easier...if it comes to that. Remember, I'm sure those MEPS SOB's were telling you to hurry hurry hurry because they had 12 million E-Dogs to do behind you. They did the same to me, the key is to take your time.

flyhigh787

I second the idea of TAKING YOUR TIME. I am certain you had to wait forever and a day, so take your time when it finally is your time.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I'm too lazy to look it up, but look at my profile and click "threads by jt71582"

I have one on here about the subject.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
MEPS took me 2 guesses a line and a PATIENT civilian worker to get me to pass. NAMI, I knocked it out with relative ease in 5 minutes.

The only difference was I slept and was WAY hydrated for the more successful test. Vision tests on 40 minutes of sleep generally don't go well....

aeshia

one thing ive been advised before taking the test was to sleep well, like 8-9 hrs. it definitely helps you. i know it did when i took it. just don't stay up late.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Make sure they open both eye viewports when you do it. I was one of 5 people who failed depth percetion. . .before they figured out that no one will ever pass with only one eye!

gusthebus229

so i retook it this morning at meps... and passed it. someone told me to think of it like the old "magic eye" puzzles that used to be on the back of cereal boxes. after a few blinks and focusing in and out a few times i noticed a VERY subtle difference. i too noticed that none were ever 1 or 5.

egolnick

Yeah I was rushed at meps at this portion of the eye exam. I went and saw the head doc after the guy (who was a $#%&) that gave me the eye exam failed me. I went back, took my time and passed it with no problem. Just take your time.

Lobster

I had a very patient civilian worker as well. I read the first couple of lines and she told me to stop politely told me "You're a moron do it right" and I flew threw it she even bet me I couldn't finish the whole test. She lost, I won. :D