• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Depression Waiver Approved!!!

SWOMan

It has been a long and hard battle the last few months full of uncertainty and stress. After 6 months of long hard work to get everything in on my application, taking the astb, getting DQ at meps, getting DQ at N3M, getting evaluated by a psychiatrist, as well as finding out that I needed glasses ( 20/30 correctable to 20/20) ..... I have finally been cleared by N3M with all my waivers approved, and am entering the final stages of my packet as we submit for the Feb selection boards for SWO, SNA, and NFO.

Originally i was declined by N3M because they required more information. Within 24 hours I was able to find a psychiatrist who would evaluate me the next day. For those who are struggling with this issue, he wrote a very detailed letter stating clearly that A. I do not show any symptoms of any psych issues B. There is no reason for me to need any form of medication and C. That he believes it was a misdiagnosis for a one time episode. He also stated this due to the fact that I had never actually been evaluated by a psychiatrist, i was prescribed by my general physician who is not qualified to make that determination.

This is one hell of a waiver to get. I see very few positive outcomes on this form. I just want to let people who are dealing with this know that it can be done, but you will have to jump through all the necessary hoops to get there. Now lets hope my 3.2 gpa doesn't cut me off at the legs for SWO.

SWOMan

i'm very surprised. I got very close to reaching my limits there. Was actually prepping applications to go back to school. Glad i made it man! Now to get SWO

oshaugry

Few Questions. Dealing with something similar.
Did N3M DQ you straight up? As in "Based on the courtesy review of recent medical information, no further processing of this applicant is warranted" or did they ask for more information?
Once you resubmitted back to N3M, How long till you heard back? Do you have to go for an additional psych eval on the contigency of the Navy potentially approving the waiver?

Appreciate your time and help.

SWOMan

I was told by n3m that i was disqualified until i proved further information. Then they included a list of possible items like past medical records. I went to a psychiatrist the next day. He wrote me a letter within a week. I submitted it back to my recruiter. I found out a few days later that everything was good to go! I have not heard anything about any additional psych evals. Are they making you go and get one with a navy psych? if so, that's in your benefit. It allows you to demonstrate first hand that you are able and ready to serve. Let me know if you have any other questions.

exNavyOffRec

I was told by n3m that i was disqualified until i proved further information. Then they included a list of possible items like past medical records. I went to a psychiatrist the next day. He wrote me a letter within a week. I submitted it back to my recruiter. I found out a few days later that everything was good to go! I have not heard anything about any additional psych evals. Are they making you go and get one with a navy psych? if so, that's in your benefit. It allows you to demonstrate first hand that you are able and ready to serve. Let me know if you have any other questions.

This sounds like a TNPQ pending further information, then you gave them what they asked.

oshaugry

This sounds like a TNPQ pending further information, then you gave them what they asked.
TNPQ Makes sense. They gave you information on what they were looking for. Good for you. Thanks for the reply.

Mine was not a TNPQ. N3M hit me with a "Based on the courtesy review of recent medical information, the further processing of this applicant is NOT warranted" I resubmitted my "package" back to N3M about 3 weeks ago with an updated psych eval, on the hope that new information will change their ruling, similar to yours SWOman, that I had done by a private doctor after the initial NPQ. No word back yet.

exNavyOffRec

TNPQ Makes sense. They gave you information on what they were looking for. Good for you. Thanks for the reply.

Mine was not a TNPQ. N3M hit me with a "Based on the courtesy review of recent medical information, the further processing of this applicant is NOT warranted" I resubmitted my "package" back to N3M about 3 weeks ago with an updated psych eval, on the hope that new information will change their ruling, similar to yours SWOman, that I had done by a private doctor after the initial NPQ. No word back yet.

If you rec'd the "not warranted" it would be a very long shot to get it changed, in 3 years I saw 1 that was changed, and it took nearly 2 years. N3M doesn't give the "not warranted" tag lightly

SWOMan

I would say try one more Psych eval, from a psychiatrist. Have him write as detailed a letter as possible ( mine stated misdiagnosis since I had never actually seen a psychiatrist... just a psychologist) If it doesn't work, start looking at plan B.

oshaugry

Funny thing. Ask and you shall receive. Got word today with another not warranted hit by N3M. Let's just get it out there. I was in boot camp and 3 days before leaving I found out my mother had cancer. The severity of the cancer was unavailable at the time. All that wa a known to me was she has cancer. While at RTC I was taken to see a psychologist due to the chaplain being unavailable at the time. The psychologist said I was experiencing depressed like symptoms and recommended for early separation. I Have never been depressed, but as you can imagine any normal person would be upset in those circumstances. Now as I'm trying to get back in it looks like a no go. No one is willing to hear my side of the story. It's there a waiting period or anything I can do?

SWOMan

From what I've seen the waiting period is generally 3 years. I was off medication and non symptomatic for over 8.

Allyx

I'm trying to get the same waiver and they're not even going to process the paperwork. My issue was when I was fourteen and was court ordered to go to counseling because I was put into foster care. Yet they're not going to process my paperwork because of the 'higher ups'. My recruiter said the higher ups told him not to process my paperwork.

What was the process like for you?