• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dental work out of country

Dig

Hi, I was in a slight accident a few years back and my two front teeth were broken a good deal which required me to have crowns placed on them. I had my work done by a doctor that many people down here (South Texas), my family included, go to right across the border in Nuevo Laredo, Mexico. I have had my dentist that I visit here in the states look at the work and he told me that it was professionally done. The dentist in Mexico went to dental school in the US and has exceptionally clean facilities that were more technologically equipped than most offices I have visited here in the states.

My question is, would having this work done outside of the US DQ for anything?

Dig

You are a braver man than I... glad the work ended up being quality.

There are thousands of locals and Winter Texans that go there for work. Most of them are trained here in the states, but they go back to Mexico and open up their practices over there. The two fillings I've had done over there are higher quality than ones I had done over here. Some of the dentists also have offices here in the Rio Grande Valley. Its legit! You just have to know where to go. :)

Dig

The only thing I could find in the aeromedical waiver guide is this blurb for Class I (SNA) medical status:

"Dental: Must have no defect which would react adversely to changes in barometric pressure
(Type I or II dental examination required)."

Here's the link for the aeromedical guide....http://www.med.navy.mil/SITES/NAVME...Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

Thanks for the link, BigIron.

It is my understanding that changes in barometric pressure only have affects on teeth that have had root canals performed on them. I think it is in the stage when the tooth hasn't been properly filled and is still hollow. I've heard of people having problems at that stage on commercial jets. I should be good to go then. Thanks!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Thanks for the link, BigIron.

It is my understanding that changes in barometric pressure only have affects on teeth that have had root canals performed on them. I think it is in the stage when the tooth hasn't been properly filled and is still hollow. I've heard of people having problems at that stage on commercial jets. I should be good to go then. Thanks!

I remember hearing that it can happen with any type of filling, not just root canals. If you have an issue with pressure it will likely be discovered in a controlled environment (altitude chamber during API) so I wouldn't sweat it too much.