• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DENIED! (Pilot Slot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneffets02

I am a graduating senior in college about to commission and was turned down for flight school and sent to SWAS (SWO) instead. I have a fairly good record and was wondering if there is an appeal/reevaluation process and what protocol I have to follow to start that process.

PLEASE email me or reply here if you know of any options (or what options i have in the SWO community to get my pin fast and apply to flight school again)

lates...
M

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I honeslty don't know what the answer is to your question. But there are two pilots in my wardroom that are former SWOs, and there was one I went through API with back in the day. It happens. In fact, one of our aviation maint. officers just got picked up for NFO.

sneffets02

Thanks...Can anyone ask some of the SWO to AVIATION people near you where they were for their SWO tour and what the quickest/most efficient way to get your SWO pin is?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, there is no "quick" way, every SWO has to earn their pin after coming out of school, qualifying on the boat, learning all the ship's systems and watch standing, and of course OOD. Too bad steve isn't around, he could shed a lot of light on this one.

Dave Shutter

I've known a bunch of SWO's who've come back through P-cola as aviators. One acuatually got NPQ'd by an AF Doc in API over an AF reg that actually doesn't apply to us, so always ask! All I can say is that they all served at least two years in SWO and done a 6 mth deployment and change plus getting their pin before transfering. Remember, now that you're in SWO it isn't merely a matter of being picked up for Aviation, but also being released from you present community as well. I hear it's overmanned anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. I'll see what else I can find out, but yes, Steve is the man on this one.

Another thing they all had in common: they all loved their SWO tours, are glad they did it, and would happily go back if flight school didn't work out. Best of luck!

LadyJayUSN

origionally posted by sneffets:I am a graduating senior in college about to commission and was turned down for flight school and sent to SWAS (SWO) instead. I have a fairly good record and was wondering if there is an appeal/reevaluation process and what protocol I have to follow to start that process.

Hope is not lost. There is actually a great benefit to achieving both (SWO and SNA) pins if you ever plan on making a career of the military. I am going to make an assumption that you're early 20ish, so age isn't a factor for you. 2 years out to sea on a boat is good for the heart and you'll still be fairly young if you switch.

The way SWO works now is that upon graduation of OCS, you report directly to your first command. After about a year on board and depending on how quickly you've grasped the concepts (Navigation, DC, Engineering, Comms, etc.etc.etc.) your command has the option to send you to Newport, RI for specialty training. This is a pretty new thing the Navy is doing and who knows, your command may opt to send you SWO school right away. I dunno, they've recently made the change.

Anyways, to make a long story short, after about a year on board, there's a package you can submit for a lateral conversion. It will require the endorsement of your commanding officer, so performance and aptitude are key issues. Make sure you play nice.

If it's any consolation, I really enjoyed being out to sea in the surface fleet. It's not nearly as glamorous as aviation, and you work really hard, but it has its own rewards. Good luck in your endeavors, which ever they are.

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
Just stay away from the Coast Guard! :p

I'm 32 (age limit is 30), 14 years of active duty (prior enlisted, 10 years Coast Guard), no degree (1 actual in college class), PRK corrective eye surgery, LT Select, applied once and heading to Pensacola in June :) 24 out of 36 applicants is pretty decent odds. They select twice a year, and actually are having a special slection this April.

Unfortunately, we don't have too many go-fasts. Best we have is HU-25 (Falcon). C-130's, HH-60's, HH-65's.. hrm, that's about it. Well, we got a couple of Agusta Helos, but that's about it.

Deepwater Project and 9/11 are changing things, however. We are getting more money all the time, and looking into new air frames.

Coast Guard is a cool place to be.
bouncy_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.