• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Defense Language Institute

ruben hinojosa

Hello, im trying to gather information about DLI and who can attend. Currently, im in the Navy Reserve as a HM3 and have been interested in going to DLI to learn a new language. Any insights into who can go would be greatly appreciated.

reFLYluwasch

pilot
:)Try ask CTFly1 about this. I would think there would have to be a need from your rating or assignment to justify a trip to Monterey. Of course, I could be wrong about this.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are heading to a job that requires you speak another language that you don't already know, they'll send you to DLI. Otherwise, no dice, the Navy isn't going to shell out the money if they don't have a legitimate need for you to be there.

The only USN folks I knew when I was there were people going on exchange tours, CTIs, and EOD/NSW guys who were there to learn a new language (viewed as sort of a depressurization opportunity). Zero reservists.

edit: forgot to include Attaches and Foreign Area Officers to the USN student list.

Last edited:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
One thing you can do is look online and ask the local recruiter about taking the Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB). Regardless of any other reasons for the Navy to send or not to send you to DLI, your score on the DLAB will determine your eligibility for the various language programs.

Pure speculation, but I imagine already having a good DLAB score in your service record wouldn't hurt if you're requesting a stint at DLI.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just finished DLI yesterday, so you could say I have recent information.

Ya, you're not going to get in unless the Navy deems it necessary for a job. No way. School spots are tight, the demand is high, and the curriculum is expensive. But like IKE said, if you even want to be considered for any language training, you need a DLAB score on file. PEP and FAO gigs that require DLI won't even consider you unless you have a qualifying DLAB score.

Also, it's hard. Like really hard. But it's really good training.

CAMike

None
Contributor
... it's hard. Like really hard. But it's really good training.

Funny you said that. My ex girl friend from 20 yrs. ago just shared those same words with me the other evening and we live not too far away from Pacific Grove. Hmmm. What ever happened to the famous thread jacks that we used to see on AW just a few years ago?

Seriously. What Squeeze and others previously stated, money is Tight and you really do need to have your ducks in a row to "need" DLI or any other specialized training. Comrade Obama was here in Los Banos today and his minions are more frugal than previous administrations when it comes to anything related to the MIL world. The more things change... oh well.

Threadjack -"Off".

gaj29

If you are heading to a job that requires you speak another language that you don't already know, they'll send you to DLI. Otherwise, no dice, the Navy isn't going to shell out the money if they don't have a legitimate need for you to be there.

The only USN folks I knew when I was there were people going on exchange tours, CTIs, and EOD/NSW guys who were there to learn a new language (viewed as sort of a depressurization opportunity). Zero reservists.

edit: forgot to include Attaches and Foreign Area Officers to the USN student list.
Are the new FAO reservists going to be heading to DLI?

SharkBait93

SharkBait
Sorry to add to your conversation so late - but do any of you have knowledge about the DLPT? I'm scheduled to take it in July and all I've heard so far is there's no way of really preparing for it beyond basic language usage with native speakers. Does that hold true? I've taken other language tests and there's always some variation of a study guide for the specific test. All I've found for the DLPT is the familiarization guide (http://www.dliflc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CM-Fam-Guide_MC_CBT2.pdf).
Also, I'm still in the process of submitting my application for OCS - point being I'm not yet in the USN though my ultimate goal is to be an Information Officer. If I pass my DLPT with a 3 or higher, do any of you know if that means I still head to more language training or if I would be able to start working right away? [Apologies if my wording is incorrect - I'm still new to all of this but I'm trying to learn the appropriate terms for everything].

exNavyOffRec

Sorry to add to your conversation so late - but do any of you have knowledge about the DLPT? I'm scheduled to take it in July and all I've heard so far is there's no way of really preparing for it beyond basic language usage with native speakers. Does that hold true? I've taken other language tests and there's always some variation of a study guide for the specific test. All I've found for the DLPT is the familiarization guide (http://www.dliflc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/CM-Fam-Guide_MC_CBT2.pdf).
Also, I'm still in the process of submitting my application for OCS - point being I'm not yet in the USN though my ultimate goal is to be an Information Officer. If I pass my DLPT with a 3 or higher, do any of you know if that means I still head to more language training or if I would be able to start working right away? [Apologies if my wording is incorrect - I'm still new to all of this but I'm trying to learn the appropriate terms for everything].

If you are looking to go IW which is now Crypto the biggest thing is tech degree and high GPA, do a search for PERS-472 on FB and you will see the stats, IWC officers don't have much use for foreign language, but FAO's do.

SharkBait93

SharkBait
If you are looking to go IW which is now Crypto the biggest thing is tech degree and high GPA, do a search for PERS-472 on FB and you will see the stats, IWC officers don't have much use for foreign language, but FAO's do.
Thanks! That's helpful - I'm going through their FB page now to look over all the info. There's some mentions of Cryptology (like you mentioned the name is now Crypto) which is what I was hoping to do. I know to be an actual linguistic cryptologist you have to be enlisted rather than officer, which is why my recruiter suggested aiming for and IWC position since then I might have more of a chance to actually use my language skills (my major in undergrad was my language and I went to grad school where courses were taught using the language) rather than start over with completely new training and essentially erase the last 5 years of everything I've learned. Would I be correct to assume your suggestion would be aim more for FAO?