• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

December ROTC grad

h2o polo

Hey guys,

I'm an ROTC Midn and I'm graduating in December, which is a semester early for me. I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with graduating in December. How does it affect my chances of getting a SNA slot? Also, is there anything else I need to watch out for, since I'm graduating out of the main flow of ROTC Midn? My unit seems kind of clueless on it (my advisor didn't even realize my commissioning packet was due early until luckily, I asked about it.) Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
Hey There,
I was a December ROTC grad. I didnt see too much difference and it was a very small group of us (4 people). The only great thing about this is that you start a new fiscal year in October. For me when i was originally scheduled to graduate in May I had gotten orders to be an NFO...then when I knew i needed an extra semester I got to put my package back in due to that new fiscal year thing. So after that I got SNA and here I am today with wings. I think it will help you more than hinder you. I'd also tell you that if your command isnt setting things up start doing things on your own. Get a nice place to get commissioned (we got commissioned at the Texas State Capitol) make reservations at a nice restaurant for the commissionees, the families and ROTC friends. That so far to me was the only difference...and I was back as an Ensign working staff for the new year. It feels kinda good being a midn then two weeks or so later (christmas break) you're the new ensign on the block and the Gunny is calling you sir. Anymore questions you can PM me if you want.

Pcola04/30

Professional Michigan Hater
pilot
I was also a december grad and everyone I was commissioned with who wanted aviation got it. I agree with rare, I think it will actually help you. Best of luck with your selection.

Plus if you do select SNA you will beat the spring glut of Academy guys that tend to clog up API.

SlickAg

pilot
I also did the 3.5 year program, I agree that it can do nothing but help you. It's a feather in your hat to get through in 3.5, so it may help you get ranked higher in your class. Everyone I graduated with that wanted aviation wanted it (including a 5.5 year guy). Don't sweat it.