• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO PAO HELP AND ADVICE

Motivated21

Trying for DCO PAO Community
Hello Team!

I am currently going through the DCO PAO process, and my Kit is supposed to go in front of the board this spring 2015. Although my recruiter is doing a great job with preparing me for next steps in this process as they happen... I also need some assistance with strengthening my DCO PAO Kit so that I can be a selectee first time out!

A brief overview of my candidacy:
-35 years old
-graduated from top 1% university w 3.122 GPA
-studied abroad Internationally
GPA 3.8
-Double Major: English/ Theater History
-Minor: International Affairs & Foreign Relations
-Earned business graduate certificate
-Experience on Capitol Hill as Congressional Aide - Lots of PR etc
-Lots of PR experience pre and post Capitol Hill

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice!

Veritas

ENS, PAO
Hello Team!

I am currently going through the DCO PAO process, and my Kit is supposed to go in front of the board this spring 2015. Although my recruiter is doing a great job with preparing me for next steps in this process as they happen... I also need some assistance with strengthening my DCO PAO Kit so that I can be a selectee first time out!

A brief overview of my candidacy:
-35 years old
-graduated from top 1% university w 3.122 GPA
-studied abroad Internationally
GPA 3.8
-Double Major: English/ Theater History
-Minor: International Affairs & Foreign Relations
-Earned business graduate certificate
-Experience on Capitol Hill as Congressional Aide - Lots of PR etc
-Lots of PR experience pre and post Capitol Hill

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice!

I think the fantastic OR's on AW could probably address your qualifications more specifically. It also sounds like you are in great hands with your local recruiter. I also had an amazing recruiter who was informative and engaged.

PAO has a small quota, which seems to have gotten smaller each year I've been following it. The October board, where I was selected, had only five selectees. I am grateful to have been selected at my first board, though I have heard from people who took several tries -- so be persistent and check out the threads from those who went through the process of identifying what worked and what didn't as they reapplied.

Again, the OR's here can give better advice, but I think your biggest hurdle is a lack of a Master's degree and that your undergrad isn't in a media-related field. A Master's in communications, journalism, film & television, or a related field could substantially improve your chances. Hill experience can help, particularly in a communications role. And political connections probably won't hurt (they don't always help, though). You will have to overcome the education with professional experience and demonstrated leadership.

Your community interviews are really important. PAO is a small community, so there is a good chance the board members will know your recommenders. Be sure they are high-ranking and high-responsibility PAO's. Seek them out yourself rather than rely on your recruiter to set them up for you. Get top quality LOR's to supplement your interviews. Finally, be sure to provide a solid, well-written motivational statement that is specific and demonstrates your experience, trajectory, and desire to tell the Navy story.

Good luck!

Motivated21

Trying for DCO PAO Community
Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Veritas.

My motivational statement is right on the money regarding demonstrated professional and community leadership (public official, served on boards, charity, etc), my proud family Military Officer background, my achievements and strong desire to become a US Navy Leader as a PAO... Etc.

The LORs I have so far: Professor, A Judge, A Government Official, A Retired Navy Officer

As the PAO Community is so small, I need assistance with getting in contact with some current Navy PAO's... That certainly understand, and are willing to speak with me... And/ or perhaps schedule an interview (even if I have to speak with someone at the Pentagon... If at all willing... I welcome the opportunity to do so).

I want to ensure that I have a very strong package for this upcoming board.

I will definitely follow your advice - and thanks in advance for your help!