• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO Intel or PAO?

drustynail

Hello all, I'm trying to figure out exactly what is my best course of action and what community I would truly fit in. My goal is to best serve the Navy and be able to utilize my skills to their utmost. Moreover, I want to continue to be in a language rich environment where I can best utilize my language and communication skills.

I walked into the recruiter’s office looking to be a 1655 but I was told that 1635 is the way to go.

I have been working with Latin American Media for over 3 years; speak Spanish fluently, strong French (caribbean), proficiency in Portuguese and some Creole. The last 2 years I have specifically been working with Media Intelligence Analysis concentrating on the Southern Cone and Carib and later moved towards domestic. My BA is in History with a cultural identity focus and am now gearing up to start my Masters in Latin American and Caribbean Studies down in FL (my move is now permanent.)

So I thought that I'd be ideal as a PAO but my recruiter said that PAOs NEED a journalism degree and that Intel is the way to go and I started my packet. I got tabled in SEP because I lack a RIPO. There was a CF as I tried to wrap things up and juggle a temp move to the SE. I jumped on an opportunity and am now moving permanently to the SE.

My new SE recruiter is telling me that I got a strong packet: I got outstanding interviews, 54 OAR with a 7/7/7, honors at school and work etc. and that it was a shame that the packet was submitted incomplete back in SEP. Just get the RIPO to sign off and I should get picked up in MAR.

Here's the hiccup. Just followed up with my buddy who is a PAO and he's pissed because "I was fed a load of bullshit." “I am perfect for his community.” He sent me this doc to show that my original recruiter was lying about NEEDING a journalism degree. Review section 3. c. (2) & 3. d. (1)

http://www.cnrc.navy.mil/publications/PAs/PA 208 PAO.pdf

So now what? On the surface I more than qualify for 1655. So why was I pushed towards 1635? For you other 1635s out there would I be a joke coming from the "MEDIA" Intelligence Community? Bottom line, I want to serve in my best capactity and don't want to be that guy. Are there any 1655s that can comment?

Thanks all.

dephyler

Contributor
If you want PAO, apply PAO. The worst that can come of it is that they say 'no.' You can apply to intel as well. None of the non-prior DCOs in my NIRR that I've met thus far have any gov intel experience. One guy has some business intel experience, but that's it.