• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO HR Questions

rlskelton

The Adventure Begins
Hello all,

I've been in the Navy Reserves for 5 years and just finalized my DCO package for HR. While I've read through the various informational tabs on the NPC page, I still have a few questions. I have both a Bachelors and a Masters in the legal field with focuses in Strategic Intelligence and National Security, while I've had several individuals ask why not just go JAG - that isn't where my heart is. Currently, I work as GS employee in Corporate Operations and I'm working on transferring to Manpower, which is where I feel my true calling lies as I enjoy helping people.

My questions are as follows:
  • How long does the selection process start, I understand the submission NLT date has changed to 9 JAN 20
  • Are quotas released to understand how many people will be selected and for those that are selected as "Stand-by", do they have to reapply if no one falls through
  • Does not having an HR cert/background make a significant difference
Really, if anyone has recently gone through the process for HR, I would really appreciate your insight.

Thank you in advance!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Welcome shipmate. What’s your rate?

JAG requires a JD. If you have a JD, might as well apply for JAG, in addition to other designators that interest you. HR DCO is very competitive and you will want to start working on SHRM/related certs.

rlskelton

The Adventure Begins
Welcome shipmate. What’s your rate?

JAG requires a JD. If you have a JD, might as well apply for JAG, in addition to other designators that interest you. HR DCO is very competitive and you will want to start working on SHRM/related certs.
I guess my rate would help, I’m a YN. I don’t have my JD, opted out of that due to me enjoying the counterterrorism world more. As for the SHRM related courses, is there any one in particular that is favored more than others?

subreservist

Information is not released to applicants on how boards proceed. I would say for HR DCO its safe to give about a week for the board to meet and conduct business.

Quotas are not released, however HR DCO is a small community; at best they may select about 10 applicants, but varies each year. Could be less than 5 selects.

HR-based work experience, coupled with HR-based education and certification (in the form of SHRP-CP, PHR, SPHR) will be what a board desires. Not having a certification, when compared to applicants that do, will make a significant difference.

After the board convenes, it could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to receive results.

rlskelton

The Adventure Begins
Information is not released to applicants on how boards proceed. I would say for HR DCO its safe to give about a week for the board to meet and conduct business.

Quotas are not released, however HR DCO is a small community; at best they may select about 10 applicants, but varies each year. Could be less than 5 selects.

HR-based work experience, coupled with HR-based education and certification (in the form of SHRP-CP, PHR, SPHR) will be what a board desires. Not having a certification, when compared to applicants that do, will make a significant difference.

After the board convenes, it could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks to receive results.

Thank you! I appreciate the insight!

Hair Warrior

Contributor
If you don’t get picked up for HR DCO, apply for Intel DCO (if that interests you) and see if you get in. Intel seems to be selecting more applicants these days. They are two different boards so you will want to get a whole different slate of paperwork together, geared toward each designator.

P.S. There is plenty of admin to do in Navy Reserve Intel units. If you truly want to be an HR officer you can probably moonlight as one in Navy Intel continuously for a 20 year career! ? (but seriously... )

rlskelton

The Adventure Begins
That was what I was initially looking into which is why I added minors under STRATINT and NATINT; it also helped that one of my professors worked for one of the agencies and he was a total a$$, but also the best professor I’ve ever had. ?

exNavyOffRec

Hello all,

I've been in the Navy Reserves for 5 years and just finalized my DCO package for HR. While I've read through the various informational tabs on the NPC page, I still have a few questions. I have both a Bachelors and a Masters in the legal field with focuses in Strategic Intelligence and National Security, while I've had several individuals ask why not just go JAG - that isn't where my heart is. Currently, I work as GS employee in Corporate Operations and I'm working on transferring to Manpower, which is where I feel my true calling lies as I enjoy helping people.

My questions are as follows:
  • How long does the selection process start, I understand the submission NLT date has changed to 9 JAN 20
  • Are quotas released to understand how many people will be selected and for those that are selected as "Stand-by", do they have to reapply if no one falls through
  • Does not having an HR cert/background make a significant difference
Really, if anyone has recently gone through the process for HR, I would really appreciate your insight.

Thank you in advance!
If you haven't had a chance look at the PA, part f which is program specific requirements including minimum active TIS requirement as well as minimum work experience in HR.

They are a small and selective community, so much so that in the past if a candidate didn't have a PHR or SHRM-CP they would not be considered, that is not always the case though.