• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DCO HCA Reserve ??

russwest413

Hey everyone, I'm currently a HM2 in the Navy Reserve and also a GS-11 for the Veteran health Administration. However, I am very much interested in pursuing a commission in the Navy Reserves as a MSC Healthcare Administrator . I have currently, 9 years in the Navy Reserve and 5 years working in the VHA System starting as a GS-5. I really like healthcare operations and I feel like becoming a HCA in the Navy Reserve is a perfect fit for myself! As I want to finish my last 10 years as an Naval Officer. Now, after looking into the requirements I've noticed my MHA isn't CAHME accredited which means I cant direct commission into the field (Also my undergrad GPA isn't good). So with that being said, I have enrolled in MPH online program that is CEPH accredited which will only take me a 1 year to finish. In conjunction with the second Masters it should bump my cumulative GPA to 3.6 which hopefully make me pretty competitive going forward. After doing much research, I can not find any info on Reserve HCA MSC Officers / What is the Quota ? How many do they select each year from the Reserve side ? I found a lot of info from the active side but nothing from the Reserve side. I would love to be a Reserve HCA, as I love healthcare operations but it seems like from the Reserve side its very slim picking. I have heard from the grapevine that they reserve these spots for people transferring out from ACTIVE duty. I'm not sure how true that is..... I did think about going ACTIVE, but I'm having pretty good career progression and could reach GS-15 by 35 years old if I keep the same momentum. So I don't think going ACTIVE is a good option right now.

As previously stated, I would love to finish out my last 10 years as a MSC HCA Officer. However, due to the nature of MSC HCA having a low quota margin. Would it be best to pursue another commission in field or just hold out. I'm pretty sure by next year I can make GS-12 which will put me at 28 years old. I still have a lot of time before my cut off age which is 40. Nevertheless, I do wanna retire from the military at 38 which is personal goal for myself as I joined at 17 1/2. So with the competitiveness and uncertainty nature of the MSC HCA numbers, should I just pursue either Supply or Line Officer going forward in the Navy Reserve.

russwest413

Only you can answer that question. Do you want to be a supply Officer?
If the opportunity presented itself. Yes, I would. I love the military and being able to reach another level in which I'm able to be a leader would be great! I don't know too much about supply as all my experience is mostly in healthcare. However, I'm willing to learn and connect.

exNavyOffRec

Hey everyone, I'm currently a HM2 in the Navy Reserve and also a GS-11 for the Veteran health Administration. However, I am very much interested in pursuing a commission in the Navy Reserves as a MSC Healthcare Administrator . I have currently, 9 years in the Navy Reserve and 5 years working in the VHA System starting as a GS-5. I really like healthcare operations and I feel like becoming a HCA in the Navy Reserve is a perfect fit for myself! As I want to finish my last 10 years as an Naval Officer. Now, after looking into the requirements I've noticed my MHA isn't CAHME accredited which means I cant direct commission into the field (Also my undergrad GPA isn't good). So with that being said, I have enrolled in MPH online program that is CEPH accredited which will only take me a 1 year to finish. In conjunction with the second Masters it should bump my cumulative GPA to 3.6 which hopefully make me pretty competitive going forward. After doing much research, I can not find any info on Reserve HCA MSC Officers / What is the Quota ? How many do they select each year from the Reserve side ? I found a lot of info from the active side but nothing from the Reserve side. I would love to be a Reserve HCA, as I love healthcare operations but it seems like from the Reserve side its very slim picking. I have heard from the grapevine that they reserve these spots for people transferring out from ACTIVE duty. I'm not sure how true that is..... I did think about going ACTIVE, but I'm having pretty good career progression and could reach GS-15 by 35 years old if I keep the same momentum. So I don't think going ACTIVE is a good option right now.

As previously stated, I would love to finish out my last 10 years as a MSC HCA Officer. However, due to the nature of MSC HCA having a low quota margin. Would it be best to pursue another commission in field or just hold out. I'm pretty sure by next year I can make GS-12 which will put me at 28 years old. I still have a lot of time before my cut off age which is 40. Nevertheless, I do wanna retire from the military at 38 which is personal goal for myself as I joined at 17 1/2. So with the competitiveness and uncertainty nature of the MSC HCA numbers, should I just pursue either Supply or Line Officer going forward in the Navy Reserve.

Like @subreservist said, contact an OR that deals with medical DCO and ask them what the current goals are and have been for HCA, I know a few here might be able to dig up current numbers as well, but if memory serves it is low single digits.