• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

DC board August-Reserves

Hey everyone! So I been lurking around on this thread for a bit and have engaged with the previous folks who were selected. I have submitted my packet for the August consideration board and wanting to get with any others who are going the same route. My packet is for the 1815/Cryptologic Warfare Officer.

number9

Contributor
I hope to be applying for the same board (though not in D.C.) for 1815 and 1825. If you don't mind me asking, what is your background?

@fieldrat thank you for the correction! @number9
Awesome!! I have 16 years of IT experience with a masters degree and working on a second one now. I have three recommendations from two O-4s and 1 O-5. I’m working on my CISSP now and I’m applying for 1815 and 1835 and I’m saving IP Just in case I don’t make the hit for my first two. Currently I am a Cloud CyberSecurity Manager and before than i was a DevSecOps Engineer and a Sr. Network Engineer and I am currently in the army as well with 10 years of Active duty time, with 5 combat tours.

exNavyOffRec

@fieldrat thank you for the correction! @number9
Awesome!! I have 16 years of IT experience with a masters degree and working on a second one now. I have three recommendations from two O-4s and 1 O-5. I’m working on my CISSP now and I’m applying for 1815 and 1835 and I’m saving IP Just in case I don’t make the hit for my first two. Currently I am a Cloud CyberSecurity Manager and before than i was a DevSecOps Engineer and a Sr. Network Engineer and I am currently in the army as well with 10 years of Active duty time, with 5 combat tours.
The recommendations from the O-5 and O-4's was that your panel interview? If not do you have it scheduled yet as that is one of the most important items.

@exNavyOffRec no, Those recommendations are just for the board packet. My panel interview is in the process of being setup which is the last thing left I have to do. My recruiter has been trying to locate someone in the 1815 career field that can interview me but he hasn't found anyone yet. Based on what I have seen thus far it seems like a challenge to get someone from the 1815 Designator because their are so few of them. @fieldrat would you qualify to do mine if he is unable to get one?

number9

Contributor
@exNavyOffRec no, Those recommendations are just for the board packet. My panel interview is in the process of being setup which is the last thing left I have to do. My recruiter has been trying to locate someone in the 1815 career field that can interview me but he hasn't found anyone yet. Based on what I have seen thus far it seems like a challenge to get someone from the 1815 Designator because their are so few of them. @fieldrat would you qualify to do mine if he is unable to get one?
How did you find the O-4 and O-5 for the recommendations -- are they from your Army career?

exNavyOffRec

The panel interview will mean much more than the other LOR's, before COVID they would do it in person, now it would be remote. The senior member of the panel interview is often a CDR or CAPT and often they will have a variety of IWC designators on the panel interview. The NRD itself would normally be setting up the panel interview and coordinating with the panel to get all the applicants seen in one day vice the individual recruiter.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
I'm happy to participate. However, simply by virtue of rank, a more senior officer would carry more weight. If it comes down to the wire, then I can do it. Just want to make sure you have the best possible chance, all things being equal.

eeedoubleyou

Hey everyone! So I been lurking around on this thread for a bit and have engaged with the previous folks who were selected. I have submitted my packet for the August consideration board and wanting to get with any others who are going the same route. My packet is for the 1815/Cryptologic Warfare Officer.

I believe that I'll be in front of the same board. No intel experience, no foreign languages. 4 years active enlisted (Navy), BS Physics, MS Systems Engineering, MS Intelligence/Security Studies (in progress), currently employed as federal contractor in aerospace. Recommendations: 1 Flag, NASA supervisor, MS Department Head. I was on the deadline for the last board and got rolled to the coming iteration. Good luck to us!

Duffy31

I'm also in the running for the August board. My packet did not make it to the last board because of a delay in regards to my medical paperwork. I'm applying for an Intelligence Officer position.

number9

Contributor
Nice to have you onboard!!
Thank you! You as well. If you don't make it through the process, what chances do the rest of us have?!

I have the same amount experience as you but on a different side: mostly the Linux/UNIX, virtualization, and storage side of things. BA was Econ & Poli Sci from a no-name state school, and graduated from a top-10 MBA program last year. My choices are 1815, 1825, and 1835 & probably in that order.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
Thank you! You as well. If you don't make it through the process, what chances do the rest of us have?!

I have the same amount experience as you but on a different side: mostly the Linux/UNIX, virtualization, and storage side of things. BA was Econ & Poli Sci from a no-name state school, and graduated from a top-10 MBA program last year. My choices are 1815, 1825, and 1835 & probably in that order.
I might suggest putting 1825 as your #1, and 1815 as #2.
Most of the items you listed are very hands-on, showcase a deep knowledge of infrastructure.

@number9 i believe we all have the same chance if getting selected. I am not one to single ppl out based on perceived strengths and weaknesses. we all have something to give for the greater cause.