• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Day to Day for OCS Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

eludedgreysky

I know that there is no special treatment for women, but I just got accepted to OCS as Intel Officer and I have read day to days of OCS by men, but would like to get a womans experience of it. I want to know things like, how many to a room (by the way, Im prior enlisted, and I know It will be much different from bootcamp), how long are showers, what things you are allowed to bring in after the initial first week, so on and so on. So if anyone can give me an idea of what I can expect, I would greatly appreciate it. Guys feel free to answer if you know what your fellow female candidates went through.

Thanks
bouncy_125.gif

NavyNCSU

First of all, congrats!

What you do all day long, like PT, classes, meals, drill, etc. is exactly the same as the guys.

I'm assuming that you're referring to lifestyle issues...and please tell me if I'm wrong...

The first week you will live with all the females in the class in one room (there are usually anywhere between 1 and 7 females) and then you live in 4-person rooms for the rest of OCS. Honestly, the types of girls you have to deal with will determine a lot.
In my initial class, I had an interesting mix: two know-it-all priors (who were very mean to everyone and never listened to anyone); one who joined the Navy to meet a husband (and made that abundantly clear); and two normal girls who were easy to get along with.

I'm pretty laidback and I can get along with anyone and everyone, but it was tough some days. I learned quickly to be "one of the guys" and not make being female an issue. I made friends quickly and they treated me well. the girls that used their gender as an excuse to get out of work, be bitchy, or for their screw-ups really made me mad. The worst part of OCS is that the actions of one reflect on everyone. I made a point of fitting in with the guys for that reason.

My main concern, naturally, was feminine products and if we could shower every day. I worried for nothing. Your "female products" are only a big deal to the guys. I was never told what I could or could not have in terms of "female things," even the first week. Trust me, if a situation is in any way a "female thing," the guys are way more uncomfortable than you are.
Showering was only bad the first week because you have only a few minutes, but after that, it's better because you have much more independence. And we always got to shower every day.

My best advice is just to blend in, don't make an issue of being female, and try to get along with everyone. I made the best friends of my life there.

I hope I have more or less answered your questions...please feel free to ask as many as you want!

Status
Not open for further replies.