• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Damn your eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I've been reading a lot about Navy and AF standards, including PRK policy. I know it has been covered here before -- and I've read it all -- but I'd like to clear a couple of questions up.

First, the Navy says that to be an aviator you need to have vision 20/50 or better uncorrected; correctable to 20/20. The Air Force says 20/80 or better uncorrected; correctable to 20/20.

So what does this mean? You could have 20/30, wear glasses, and still fly? I was under the impression that pilots weren't allowed to wear glasses? Furthermore, who can't see 20/80? It seems like a billboard almost!

Second, based on what I've read about the Navy's PRK policy, I'd like to clear this up. You get PRK while you're still a civilian and then you can get a wavier? Is this correct? And when do you get it (in terms of BDCP), and how hard is it to come by?

Thanks guys,
Logan

tali264

OK, the Navy standard is 20/40. So yes, that means if you can see 20/30 without glasses, and 20/20 with glasses, then you can fly while wearing those glasses.

I'm not sure what billboards you've been looking at......so I'll ignore that comment
tongue_125.gif

About PRK, yes you can get it and APPLY for a waiver. It would be smart to find out when they're going to stop allowing waivers for this trial period and also confirm everything with a recruiter. I would hate to have you get the surgery and then have them not accept it anymore. For BDCP, you'd need to get it before you applied for pilot. You need to be able to pass your vision test on your initial physical for them to consider you for a spot.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Do a search for a post I did a while ago, under the miscelaneous section titled "Vision Requirements." Lots of good gouge there.

Beth, as for the PRK, I'm kinda under the impression that they'll make a decision to permanently allow PRK after the results of the study are examined, but we'll see.

Hey, I can't see 20/80! And so can't that guy over there...somewhere....!
spin_125.gif

The Three D's of Aviation: Never do anything Dumb, Dangerous, or Different!

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Is there a cap on the number of people they wave for the PRK trial -- 100 per year or something along those lines -- or is it pretty much a freebie? Also, haven't they been doing this trial for a few years now? Isn't it getting to be about that time when they'll make it a permanent deal?

But then again, if I have 20/30 then it shouldn't really matter, should it?

I'm still not clear on how it relates to BDCP though. Do I have to get the PRK done before I apply, before I commit, or what?

Thanks so far. Some good info
thumbup_125.gif

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by RedFive

But then again, if I have 20/30 then it shouldn't really matter, should it?

Never wore glasses in my life until I had my first NAMI flight physical way back in 93. I always had marginal 20/20 but never felt I needed corrective lenses. I no kidding missed one letter with my left eye, two with my right and they went right to the 20/30 line. So I was 20/30 and had to wear glasses when I flew. They always gave me horrible headaches though. Of course now I've had PRK and have 20/16 left eye, 20/12 right eye. My point is as long as you meet the requirements of 20/40 (+/- diopters?) correctable to 20/20, you should be good to go.

tali264

Originally posted by akamifeldman
Beth, as for the PRK, I'm kinda under the impression that they'll make a decision to permanently allow PRK after the results of the study are examined, but we'll see.
I agree, but who knows when those results will be complete. I know they were thinking of closing the study early because of all the people getting waivers. I'd just wouldn't want RedFive to get caught in the middle and get screwed. So yes, RedFive, there is/was a specific number of people they wanted in the PRK study. I talked with a Navy eye doc in Pens. in March/April and he said they were close to their desired number but they hadn't heard yet whether or not the study was being closed early. So that was a few months ago. Someone who is currently trying to find info about PRK would have more knowledge than me.

Yes...you have to be able to pass 20/40 on your physical to be allowed to apply for pilot. So that means before you apply for BDCP you have to do it. (And I did answer that the first time...go back and read
icon_smile_wink.gif
)

kevin

once again, as one poster from nami wrote on this site, they are apparently extending the accession study to 500 more applicants. i dont think the guy was an imposter.

"Furthermore, who can't see 20/80?" HEY!! ME!! (well now i can). some of us werent born with certain intact genes.

kevin

that's ok. even after bitching for 20some years about not being 20/20, even after prk im still not over it!

Status
Not open for further replies.