• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Da Boat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack

HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP, HOLY CRAP. If you've ever wondered what would go through your mind when you roll out behind the boat for the first time, that's it.

Had my first day at the boat today and it was awesome. Simply the coolest thing I have ever done. There is no way that I will be able to write as descriptive a narrative as Matt posted here so I wont try. Suffice it to say that today was absolutely amazing. I think I did ok. No bolters and no waveoffs. No blood curling "power" calls from paddles and no verbal beratment form the Boss. I have to go back out tomorrow and do it all over again and I'm looking foward to it more than a little kid on Christmas Eve.

More to come later.

jec

Edited by - jack on 05/11/2002 16:57:51

Tomcatter14

Nice job Jack!! It is definitely a right of passage..and now you are part of a group of crazy bastards, such as ourselves. I agree with Matt....wait until that first night shot and trap. Boy that is a memorable one. Realize, you get more scared as you get more traps under your belt...I have about 100 night traps by now....and I'm more scared than ever each time; luckily I'm starting to get the hang of it by now :D Anyways, I've just gotten back from COMPTUEX/JTFX..which sucks and am heading out for the big 6 monther in about a month.
But anyways, nice job...and always remember those blind seeing eye dogs, we also call LSOs, want you on the happy side of the datums. Also remember this: If you ever hit the ramp not in afterburner, you are an asshole. Also, if you ever hit the ramp with a fast chevron, you weren't trying hard enough. LOL

Tomcatter14

ghost_ttu

Jack:

What is the carrier qual requirements? I've read that it's 10 traps, but then my recruiter who is also a pilot and qualified (this could be old though) said they had him do 3 touch n go's and if you screwed that up they would wave you off and send you home. If you did well they would tell you to drop the hook, and you get 12 tries and have to hook 6. Valid? invalid? (doesn't mean much to me at the moment, but I'm curious)

Jack

Well, I did it. I finished up yesterday afternoon. We took off as a four plane out of Cecil around five thirty and met up with 'mom' rather far out to sea. Apparently I had miscounted my number of traps the day prior because I only had to bag four of them on day 2. It was just as much fun the second time as the first and I cant see how it would ever stop being fun, that is as long as the sun is out!

I'm not sure what the GPA is that I qualed with but I did have a 100% boarding rate, that is no bolters or waveoffs. However I left my mark all over that four wire, I really gave it a work out, shoot I wouldn't know what to do if I had anything more than 20 feet of deck left in front of me when I stopped :)

jec

Tomcatter14

Steve, I'm deploying onboard the George Washington with Air Wing 17. I'm with the Jolly Rogers of VF-103. By the way, if any of you guys know Marc Luley...he's in my airwing now with VFA-83. He's doing well...still a Nugget though. LOL...You know what they a say...A nugget is just a polished turd. Just Kidding Marc...see ya around Oceana.

Tomcatter14

RotorResQ

Hey Tomcatter, You are on my old boat. Were you there for the 2000 med cruise? I was a swimmer for HS-15. I just wanted to tell you that you have the finest swimmers in the Navy going along with you.

Rotor

To hover is devine!

Dave Shutter

Tomcatter14...

An AZC I pulled duty with down at P-cola was from VF-2 and he said they're finishing their next deployment and then heading out to Leemore for E/F transition. They fly "D"'s, some of which were built as late as the early nineties. Any word on what they'll do with those "Super-cats" as many VF's are still flying A+/B's?

Any word on when your SQDN will follow suit? Makes me wonder, who will be the last to go???

Mcaf

Tomcatter14,
I am a middie, and I'm reporting to the GW next month for my aviation cruise. That's about all the info I have so far except I'll get about 20-25 days at sea. I was assuming workups but it sounds like I'll be onboard for the beginning of your deployment from your post. I have no info on what squadron I will be assigned to or aircraft type. Do mids usually get backseat time in jets because from what I hear some CO's don't even let mids go up in helos never mind jets. I am really hoping to get up in something because I've done my sea time as a prior nuke on the Stennis. So I am wondering if this is gonna be a 3 week ride along or an experience that I'll never forget. Also, I spent my spring break getting my aviation physical and water survival training in Maryland so I am ready to go on that side of the house. Any little bit of info will be helpful. Thank you in advance.

Mcaf

Tomcatter14

Rotor, Mcaf and the rest of the gang: Rotor, I made last cruise...probably ran into you a couple of times on the boat. I agree HS-15 is the finest bunch of folks around. I just hope I never need your services...lol. As far as the question about the Tomcat transition plan...I really don't know the lineage of what squadron is next. They have talked about getting rid of a D squadron early to boost the numbers of jets in the remaining D squadrons. My squadron isn't supposed to transition for about 5 years...long after I will have already transitioned to the E/F. To the Middie: Yep, looks like you will get a chance to ride the boat for part of cruise...if you come aboard just before we leave...you will be there when we all CQ intially, then we will make the Translant...the most boring boat ride ever. Usually about 10 days of doing nada. As far as what squadron they will send you to...I don't really know how that works but if you have a preference, let them know. If you go to a Hornet squad., I guarantee you won't get a ride...unless they want you to ride on some guy's lap. If you come to my squadron...you may be able to get a ride..it would be up to the CO. We gave our middie from last cruise a ride...so chances are good. Your best bet would probably to go to the Prowler guys or S-3 guys. They have alot more room obviously. It really depends on your interests...and even if you go to one squadron...you can always go down to any of the ready rooms and hang with the folks and ask all the questions you want. Anyways hope that answers some questions for you.

Tomcatter14

Jack

McCaf. I did my senior summer cruise on the GW as well. The determining factor on how much fun you are going to have is whether you are on an 'aviation afloat' or an 'aviation ashore' cruise. Mine was an anviation afloat, i.e. i was attaached to the ship - not a squadron.

I had a lot of fun, working up on the flight deck, back with the A/G Officer, and taking insane amounts of pictures. I got to catch a couple of flights in some 60's with HS-15.

You will be expected to at least visit all the other shops on the ship, auxiliries, machines, AIMD, etc... They are going to give you a list of things that you have to complete, kind of a scavenger hunt. Don't sweat it. We generally slept until we were hungry and then ate until we were tired. Ah the life of a middie!

jec

Mcaf

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to cruise even if I don't get to fly. I just love being around the aviation community in general. I remember back when I was on the JCS even though I was a nuke I got up to the the O decks everyday to watch flight ops or talk to aircrew. It was great to have all that moto around cause here at school you sometimes forget why your here. I can't wait for all that mtotivation for my senior year.

Status
Not open for further replies.