• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CZ 527 American

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Looking into one of these in either a 221 Fireball or 204 Ruger. Anyone have any experience with a CZ 527?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Not with the CZ...but I have a .204 Ruger...highly reccomend the cartridge. It is an amazing round. Very, very accurate and fast.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
What rifle do you have it in? Is the recoil about the same or less than a 223?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I have a Ruger M77 target. The recoil is very very light. We're talking .22 light...although its a fairly heavy rifle. It is a fairly loud cartridge however, as you would expect with those kinda velocities. Eyes open through the shot. I've actually seen bullet impacts through the scope at longer ranges. The best part of this rifle however, is the accuracy and flat trajectory. It is nothing to put 5 rounds into 1/2" at 100 yards. With the rifle sighted in 1.2" high at 100 yards, is only 2.7" low at 300. Point blank range is 277 yards. Its a light bullet but wind drift is amazingly low. Much better than I've experienced with the .223.

Fantastic combination. Like I said, no experience with the rifle but I can't recommend the cartridge highly enough.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, doing my homework I've found that the 204 is a lazer beam compared to the 221. I was leaning towards the 221 because it was a shorter cartridge and a 22 cal (heavier) bullet but after reading some reviews from 204 shooters it sounds like that's the way to go. Couple of folks have the CZ 527 American in the 204 and shot 1/2 MOA groups at 100 yards out of the box with factory ammo. The possibilities are endless with handloads.

What's drawn me to the CZ 527 is the detachable magazine, mauser action, single set trigger and company reputation. I'm an avid coyote hunter and currently use a model 712 Wester Field 222 (bolt action with detachable magazine)for my coyote zapper and it's time to retire it. It's the same rifle that I shot my first deer with when I was 12....it's been around. My backup coyote rifle is a H&R (single shot) 223 Handi Rifle with a heavy barrel but it'll always be 'the backup'.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Well, I've had the CZ-527 204 for a year and a half now and I absolutely love it. The 527 American is a short, light rifle, perfect for coyote calling and the 204 is a great cartridge. I recommend the rifle and/or caliber to anyone.

The single set (adjustable) trigger is great. Push the trigger forward until it "sets" and you have a hair trigger that is just a few ounces (perfect for sighting in) OR use the trigger conventionally (currently at 2-3 pounds).

There are a couple of mod's that I felt it needed:
First mod I had done is the bolt handle. Sent it off to James Calhoon http://www.jamescalhoon.com/ and he milled down the bolt so it will clear the ocular lens of a scope that is mounted on Med rings. (Rifle came with High rings for this reason).

Second mod is the magazine. Sent the trigger guard/magazine well, magazine release and one magazine to Roy Bertalotto http://www.rvbprecision.com/articles/11/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion and he milled down one magazine and the trigger guard to allow a shortened magazine to fit nearly flush. Most folks won't purchase a 527 because of the magazine protrusion. The price you pay to have a nearly flush mag is a 3 round mag vice 5 round HOWEVER, the standard 5 round mag (which is shown in the second pic) will still work.

Before:
CZ-3.jpg

After: (and a Double Coyotee call & 5 round mag)
family_003.jpg

I've only taken it hunting a few times and it's put an end to one coyotes life but I plan on taking it on a serious 2 week coyote slaying expedition to west Tx when I get back to CONUS.

I'm about to top it with a VX-III but I can't decide between the 3.5-10x40 or the 4.5-10x40. The sensible side of me says that the 3.5-10 is the better option because %75 of the coyotes and foxes that I shot were < 50 yards but the "Tim the Toolman" side of me says you can't have too much power. What do y'all think?

Once I get the scope in I'm sending the rifle & scope to get dipped in Mossy Oak Brush.

You just can't go wrong with a mauser action.