• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cyber operations designator?

I'm wondering if anyone has details or a guess about what the requirements for the upcoming cyber operations designator might be.

I've looked at the requirements for 1810, 1820, and 1840 and done my best to extrapolate. I figure many of the first billets will be filled via lateral transfer from those destinations anyhow.

I'm mostly curious about the time-in-service requirement, as I'm already ineligible for 1810 and 6 months away from the waiverable maximum for 1820. If similar requirements carry over, it's a done deal for me and the Navy will lose a highly motivated individual.

Additionally, whether or not programming skills will be desired is my other concern. I have experience scripting with Python, as well as SQL, but nothing close to the desired experience of 1840.

My undergrad was in cybersecurity and covered a lot of material but was not heavy on software development/coding, so I don't think I would be a competitive 1840 candidate. That said, I've been learning C in my free time but will be shifting gears to study for the OAR and 8570 certs. Furthermore, I'll be starting Georgia Tech's OMS cybersecurity program in the fall (if that has any bearing on my suitability as a candidate).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
One post is enough

Deleted the other thread as this forum seemed like a better location for this topic.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Go to the Guard (air or Army)! Lots of options there, lots of ability for full time orders (on not only title 10 but also other wonky titles working for not just the DoD). Age waivers are pretty much a given if you need one to commission.

No more boats, no more deployments or PCSing unless you want to. Good stuff if you haven't looked into it yet. Lots of folks from all of the services, not just guard babies.

No more boats, no more deployments or PCSing unless you want to.
No shit? Well, that seems like a no-brainer then. I've actually been in contact with a retired 255S that was pointing me in that direction. Knowing that kind of seals the deal.

Edit: too bad after looking into it, the Navy must be willing to release me. Undermanned rate strikes again.

Last edited:
Somewhat embarrassed coming back to this thread 5 months later. I did some soul searching and decided that 1880 is definitely my goal.

Since May I have knocked out the OAR, a few CompTIA certs, started online grad school, and my OCS package is coming together nicely. My goal is to submit by the end of October.

As someone coming from the enlisted aviation community, I have to wonder how many CWTs I'll be going up against. It seems like an uphill battle, but one that I am determined to win.

exNavyOffRec

Somewhat embarrassed coming back to this thread 5 months later. I did some soul searching and decided that 1880 is definitely my goal.

Since May I have knocked out the OAR, a few CompTIA certs, started online grad school, and my OCS package is coming together nicely. My goal is to submit by the end of October.

As someone coming from the enlisted aviation community, I have to wonder how many CWTs I'll be going up against. It seems like an uphill battle, but one that I am determined to win.
Make sure you review the PA for acceptable degrees, you don't want to submit only to be rejected when you could have had other options to commission.

Make sure you review the PA for acceptable degrees, you don't want to submit only to be rejected when you could have had other options to commission.
Appreciate the advice. My undergrad major is listed in the 1880 PA; as is the major of the master's program I'm in. One can't be too careful though. Putting together my OCS package has given me an even greater appreciation for the attention to detail that has been drilled into me during my time in the Navy.

The primary factor that I was worried about for the 1880 PA was a time in service limit. Thankfully, there isn't one. I hit 10 years in December, making me ineligible for many of the IWC designators. Regardless, 1880 is perfectly aligned with my academic and professional goals.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Appreciate the advice. My undergrad major is listed in the 1880 PA; as is the major of the master's program I'm in. One can't be too careful though. Putting together my OCS package has given me an even greater appreciation for the attention to detail that has been drilled into me during my time in the Navy.

The primary factor that I was worried about for the 1880 PA was a time in service limit. Thankfully, there isn't one. I hit 10 years in December, making me ineligible for many of the IWC designators. Regardless, 1880 is perfectly aligned with my academic and professional goals.
After you put your OCS package together, go to your Admin and ask a YNC/PNC to review your package for errors.

When I applied to ECP back in 1993, my admin Chief was was a great resource to correct the small missed items such as typing enclosure numbers, etc.

His comment to me: "Who helped you with your package?" My response: "No one." He said it was well put together. Attention to detail....to include reading the instruction about 100 times.

Good luck. And don't be discouraged if you don't get selected on your first attempt.