• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current Meridian Gouge for Upcoming Tailhook Selectees.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Thats pretty accurate. I know a guy in Meridian that started last April the same time I did. Hes on the Weps det, Im in baby forms.

Also I dont know if anyone has discussed the sim instructors. Ive heard horror stories about the Meridian sim guys, including one that told a student "he should have been an abortion". The sim guys down here are actually pretty cool - just one more thing to think about.

Yeah we all know who he is... He really is not that bad to have (that being said I'm pissed at shit when I pull him, but there are other ones I would rather not have... Tangent... I figure you'll know this horn, they recently changed the way we compute NSS by having phase II count double in the equation are you guys on the same formula?

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Actually, it may help student performance.

When you get scheduled MAYBE twice a week, and fly half that due to broke ass alphas, it hurts the monkey skills and is a de-motivator for studying.

The only times I flew consistently was FCLP/CQ and the last part of forms so I could make the boat.

There are times when its nice to fly twice a day... Like some of the latter tac form and acm flights which are just monkey skills after you get the basics understood. And there are flights that you want to have spread out and have a day between flights.

Suffices to say that skeds will naturally get them backwards.

Ave8tor

Bringing the Noise!™
pilot
I started at the end of September, and was the first class to be hitting FAMs when all the new IPs came out of the IUT. My class, and many of the guys behind us (save the newest ones, because of the back up in the sims) have been getting through quite quickly. BI's took about 2 weeks, and RIs another two weeks, with flights included. FAMs were about a month till solo, ANs and IRs a week each, and I'll be starting Forms on Monday. We've been double-pumped through sims since early BIs and they try and knock out a 2x with the flights each day.

From what I've been hearing, they are pushing hard right now to get guys into Forms for the Key West det in March. I think they may have pushed a little to hard for my class, because we might be done with Forms (at the rate we are going) before the det even begins. Haven't had a single-pumped day (minus the classes) since earlier this month.

Right now, with classes being as large as they are (5-7 people each squadron) starting every three weeks, they are beginning to bottleneck in sims. A friend went through ground school, EP and BI classes before he even had his first CO sim, and they still had to send him to CFET (but that was a bust on Whiting's part). For the new guys, you're gonna stand a bit of duty before you start, but once you do, you'll be on the express train!

hornsfan

happy to be here
pilot
Tangent... I figure you'll know this horn, they recently changed the way we compute NSS by having phase II count double in the equation are you guys on the same formula?

Actually thats the first Ive heard of it, but if you guys are on that program I suspect we will be too. At the moment though Im more concerned with making it past the tailhook board and getting to phase II than anything else.

And the wheel goes round and round. This is a constant changing statistic. Year ago it was Meridian behind, year before that K-rock etc. Truth is you just don't know and it always changes.

K-rock had a rash of HAZREPS that slowed things down. They have lack of “C” sim issues, Meridian has DET and weather issues blah blah blah. Point is you can't make an educated decision because these stats constantly change.

As for maintenance issue, "C" requiring less...true, but if you pick at the scab and peel the onion back and look at real issue, it is the civilian contract (in Krock) because they operate both the "A" and "C". That was the real issue. They are supposed to supply a certain number of up jets per cycle, but until that is negotiated and re-written, it doesn't say how many "A" and how many "C"...that "WAS" the real issue 12 months ago...it might have changed since…so before the darts come back my way, that is my disclaimer. The lack of Maintenance Officer is killing the CO's. They have lost the power in the squadron to go to MO and say make it happen...I want to fly on Saturday (and make that decsion on Thursday vice two weeks out). They are very limited on what they can do because of the contract. Surge days have to planned out so far ahead, no flexiblity with weather rolling in to change the plan. If you see bad weather forecasted for weekend on Wednesday, you can't cancel the surge. Well you can but maintenance still gets paid. WTF? No flexibilty what so ever.

As for the comments about flying regularly, yes this is a very good valid point, but welcome to the Navy and eventually fleet. And a de-moviator? Common really? You are going TAILHOOK aviation....you get to wear PJ's to work for a living. You get paid to fly for a living. Life could be a hell of a lot worse…just ask our Navy brethren on IA tours living in tents and boots on the ground in OIF or OEF. And priorities are constantly changing. When you first start program, you are low man on the pole.

The curriculum is written and set. Yes you have a “prescribed” time to train but it WILL in fact change. Your performance maybe part of the reason, it may not. But you can not control it…and quite frankly, who cares if it takes 60 weeks vice 52? And don’t think for one second that the FRS’s don’t face same issues. FRS’s are backed up and have priority surges too.

One of the biggest issues I have with whole TTT guidance is the quality of product out the door. TTT is a FITREP bullet for the VT staff in my opinion. Yes we have seats to fill in the fleet but waiving flights, cutting back here and there just to make this goal is a farce. The FRS’s suffer and have to make up for what TRACOM didn’t accomplish. Sending a student to boat immediately once he enters Phase II is crap and statistics show NOT a good idea. Miss out of almost 50-100 more or so landings at field that helps down the road (common knowledge you would think and historical data to support that too). Soap box…sorry…

……I posted this before and sorry for re-post to an old thread....

Both locations have their pros and con's. It really depends on you, your personality, your lifestyle, your family. What activities do you like? If you like hunting, maybe south Texas is best...you like boating, lake life, Meridian might be your choice...blah blah you get the point. Do some research; look at the pro's and con's to both areas, because one might be a shock for you while other may not. Local Chamber of commerce a good place for information too.

As for the towns...having lived in both, they both are not the metropolis type, so don't get your hopes up. Meridian has more green color while Texas is brown most of the time. Both places are hot and humid as hell in summer time. K-rock does on average, have better weather and less cancelled hops do to weather. K-rock is flat while Meridian has some rolling terrain. South Texas beaches are not P-cola beaches so might be disappointed in quality of beach but at least can get on water.

As for personal life, it is really what you like. Corpus is 40 minute drive (and yes you have to live in K-rock). You have to drive further in Meridian to get to places (P-Cola 2.5 hours etc). It is relatively easier to get a commercial airline out of Corpus then Meridian...have to drive to Jackson (might be limited on flights out of Meridian Intl Airport LOL) which is about 90 minute drive...something to think about for leave.

K-rock has both “A” and "C" models, and is STILL training students in "A" models so that is also an option. That decision is up to squadron's/wing so no real guarantee. The squadron manning is smaller in K-rock then Meridian. That itself has it's pro's and con's and depending on who you talk to, each has their own opinion. K-rock has 40% "C" models.

Sim instructors are sim instructors. Everyone has horror stories and some have had great experiences with the so called bad sim instructors. It is student dependent. And mandatory 65 age retirement is kicking in….sad day when the COL left in Krock…and yes I am serious about that.

As for “A” students being better/worse than “C” students…that is up for debate. Personally (and this is my opinion only) I think you learn the basic piloting skills better in an “A” than the “C” rather than being too system dependant from day one. One day you will have ALL the toys and be task saturated but for now, just learn basics. As for the F18 Rags seeing a difference, they do, I’m not going to say what it is because I don’t want to base your decision on that. Digital vs steam gauges...not a hard transition at all but remember the goal of training (other that getting your wings of gold ) is to have a core of basic naval aviation skills and some tactics/tactical knowledge to develop and build upon in the RAG's.

Your career path is in your own hands. All you can do is try to gather up some knowledge/gouge and make the best request you can that will suit you....and remember you just might not always get your number one choice...and certainly not throughout your entire career. You can make or break yourself in flight school. I personally would not worry too much about which location is better and try to game it that way. Go where you will be happier. The program alone is stressful, and making a rash decision on which location will only make it more stressful. Both places have great spouses club, use them if it applies. Do you have buddies you know from primary etc going to same place? Are you married? Check local business bureau and schools. I can’t speak intelligently about them…not a factor.

So lots of moving parts and it always changes. There are SO many variable involved, and many you can’t control. Bottom line, you are flying for a living, make the best decision on where to go and live with it and run from there. And if it takes longer to get through the syllabus, guess what…that is not a bad thing. Your clock is still ticking, it actually helps you in seniority when you get to your fleet squadron for duty, fly-on/fly-off’s etc so it is not a terrible thing. Just ask the LTjg or ENS that did two full work-ups and two full cruises and NEVER flew off.