• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Current Demand for Enlisted Nukes?

tlsarles

I read the previous thread, but most of the posts are from early 08. So my question is, if I went to enlist as a nuke, is the demand so high that I could get in ASAP with a good sized bonus? Does anyone know the current bonus? I got an 84 on the ASVAB if that plays any bearing. Also, I have a bachelor's degree in business like 90% completed. Does the bonus for college credits stack with the rate bonus, or do you have to pick one or ther other?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read the previous thread, but most of the posts are from early 08. So my question is, if I went to enlist as a nuke, is the demand so high that I could get in ASAP with a good sized bonus? Does anyone know the current bonus? I got an 84 on the ASVAB if that plays any bearing. Also, I have a bachelor's degree in business like 90% completed. Does the bonus for college credits stack with the rate bonus, or do you have to pick one or ther other?

So, you are abandoning your original plan to seek join the service as an officer? Have you looked at whether you qualify for BDCP?

I'm curious as to all the steps of the recruitment process for a civilian to become an officer. I am interested in intelligence or nuke, and would like to do this asap.My primary concern is that I don't officially have my degree yet, as the school expects to be paid. Is it likely that they will pay my tuition in order to recruit me?

tlsarles

I am just exploring all options. Trying know everything I can before I make a choice. My degree is non-technical, and I am told that calculus and advanced physics is required to be a nuke officer. Also, I know I will need a couple waivers. Maybe because of this I am under-selling myself.

Also, because I'm 26, I feel like i'm getting into the game a little late and want to jump now. From the sound of things, officer processing takes quite some time and often multiple applications. Plus I have little time to work on all of this, as i'm trying to do it on the sly.

I am interested in Nuke also because of the fact, that I would enjoy being a 'helluva learned dude', and such. The enlist bonus could pay my school, and I could start applying for officer while accruing service time.

I still want to becaome an officer, but I'm exploring any imediate options that will get me on my way. I even talked to the enlisted marine recruiter just to see whats up with that side of things.

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
Nuke officer does require one year of calculus and one year of calculus-based physics. However, you do not need a "technical" degree as long as you've taken those classes.

Bevo16

pilot
I came into the Navy to be an enlisted Nuke. It worked out for me (by washing out of the program while learning enough math to kick ass on the SAT, get picked up for ROTC etc), but I would not let anyone I cared about go into that part of the Navy. To say that it sucks would be the biggest understatement in the history of mankind.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. I can tell you first hand that it's not worth the bonus money and accelerated advancement.

My advice:
1. Finish School.
2. Look at career options in all services.
3. Pick 4 you like the best.
4. Apply to all of them.

If you have a degree 90% complete, then get the damn thing done. Even if you don't get picked up as an officer and have to enlist, that degree will put you on the fast track once you prove yourself.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None

I'm a prior Nuke Electrician. I was the Nuclear Recruiter for NRD Jacksonville from Jan 07 to Feb 08. We (Region East) along with Region West, meaning the entire nation, were booked for nuke seats for up to at least 6-8 months out. That means you'd have to wait that long to leave.

However, there were usually quick fill seats that would open up an a hot fill basis, i.e. you'd have about a 4-10 day notice before you left for bootcamp.

Bonuses depend upon when you leave for bootcamp. The rates when I was recruiting were as follows: Feb - May - $20k, June - Oct $16k, Nov - Jan $18k.

The bonus for college credit DOES stack up on top of your job bonus. HOWEVER, you will/should get you college bonus money soon after bootcamp. You will NOT get any of your Nuke bonus money until you complete all of the nuclear training pipeline (~ 18-24 months in the Navy total).

You will not need the Navy college fund since you already have alot of college. You can get the Navy college fund on TOP of the GI Bill in lieu of a bonus. DO NOT DO THIS!!!! The GI Bill is plenty of college money along with Tuition Assistance while your in.

On a final note, I was a nuke for 9+ years, I had it fairly easy being in the shipyard most of my ship time. With that being said, i was fully prepared to leave the navy if I were not selected for the officer commissioning program that I'm in currently. I did not want anything to do with Nuclear power from then on. On the other hand, I don't think that I'd be where I am today (straight A's in college and in this commissioning program) if it weren't for the ideals and philosophies instilled in me during my training.

Good luck to you. it's a tough decision.

OC former EM1 Nuke

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
on a final note, i was a nuke for 9+ years, i had it fairly easy being in the shipyard most of my ship time. With that being said, i was fully prepared to leave the navy if i were not selected for the officer commissioning program that i'm in currently. I did not want anything to do with nuclear power from then on. On the other hand, i don't think that i'd be where i am today (straight a's in college and in this commissioning program) if it weren't for the ideals and philosophies instilled in me during my training.
+1

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I came into the Navy to be an enlisted Nuke. It worked out for me (by washing out of the program while learning enough math to kick ass on the SAT, get picked up for ROTC etc), but I would not let anyone I cared about go into that part of the Navy. To say that it sucks would be the biggest understatement in the history of mankind.
Good call, but if you washed out you never even made it to the truly "sucky" part. Good for you I guess, because it sucked and the QoL is getting worse all the time. Raising the bonuses just isn't the solution in my opinion. It keeps and attracts unskilled individuals motivated by debt (not directed to the OP or anyone in particular here).

lmnop

Raising the bonuses just isn't the solution in my opinion. It keeps and attracts unskilled individuals motivated by debt (not directed to the OP or anyone in particular here).
Are you referring only to the nuke program here, or bonuses in general? Just curious, since every URL designator has a bonus available in addition to the latest SRB message which shows 304 NECs eligible for bonuses.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Are you referring only to the nuke program here, or bonuses in general? Just curious, since every URL designator has a bonus available in addition to the latest SRB message which shows 304 NECs eligible for bonuses.

Yes, that has been my experience. The nuke bonuses are handed out like candy to anyone who will sign their life away. There isn't a strict check and balance to ensure quality people are kept on. Nuke enlisted retention seems like it has been an increasing epidemic IMHO and I think that's because QoL is not a real concern.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I am just exploring all options. Trying know everything I can before I make a choice. My degree is non-technical, and I am told that calculus and advanced physics is required to be a nuke officer. Also, I know I will need a couple waivers. Maybe because of this I am under-selling myself.

Also, because I'm 26, I feel like i'm getting into the game a little late and want to jump now. From the sound of things, officer processing takes quite some time and often multiple applications. Plus I have little time to work on all of this, as i'm trying to do it on the sly.

I am interested in Nuke also because of the fact, that I would enjoy being a 'helluva learned dude', and such. The enlist bonus could pay my school, and I could start applying for officer while accruing service time.

I still want to becaome an officer, but I'm exploring any imediate options that will get me on my way. I even talked to the enlisted marine recruiter just to see whats up with that side of things.

A few things to address here:

1. A technical degree is not required for nuke officer, but 1 year of calculus and 1 year of calculus-based physics is. These are not "advanced" courses by any means, and you'll find that most Naval officer positions prefer that you have these courses (but they are not necessarily required). Since you're 90% done with college, you should take these courses as electives as you finish up if you are serious about nuke.

2. The officer application does take some time, but part of that depends on you. You could have all your paperwork completed and turned in in a week if you were motivated enough to do so. The biggest waits come from waiting for your application to go to the board and such. FYI, the age limit is 27 for pilot, but 29 for NFO and IIRC it's higher for SWO and Nuke officers.

3. Your post sounds like you can enlist and immediately start an application for OCS. This is false. Once you enlist, your service record will be the #1 determining factor on your selection for commissioning. That means that you have to stay in long enough to build up a good resume. If you think that the application process for OCS can be lengthy as a civilian, then you're going to really hate how long it will take if you enlist. Enlisting is the longest route to a commission, and enlisting with the intent to use it as a stepping stone to commissioning is usually not a good idea. Not only that, but you're probably going to be really pissed off as you clean the officer's bathrooms in the Rickover Center knowing that you could've applied directly for a commission.

4. Don't pick a job for the money. You'll be miserable, and your job performance will most likely suffer (which will be counter-productive to your plan to apply for OCS).

My suggestion: look into BDCP, finish college, research all your options, and pick what's best for you. Don't be lured by the money.

Nuke enlisted retention seems like it has been an increasing epidemic IMHO and I think that's because QoL is not a real concern.
This isn't directed at you specifically, but it always astounds me how sailors and officers in today's Navy have the gall to complain about QoL. Maybe it's just cuz I've spent too much time in the same room with a bunch of 22 year olds fresh out of college, some of whom actually complained about using their leave for a two week vacation over Xmas. But I digress; life on a sub isn't the most luxurious thing in the world, but you're not stuck in northern germany in the winter cut off from food and lacking cold weather gear, now are you? To make a more "apples to apples" comparison, I recommend you visit the USS Cassin Young in Boston; destroyers pre-dating 'Nam were smaller than our submarines, and some enlisted guys worked in spaces where they'd have no idea whether or not the ship was about to sink. Maybe small boys are still like this today, but not being a SWO I'll let someone else take that one.

There are things the Navy can do to make QoL "better" (there is rumor of 4 section watch rotation for officers on submarines floating around), but I can't in good conscience ever say I have it "bad" when I think about what conditions men before me have thrived.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
This isn't directed at you specifically, but it always astounds me how sailors and officers in today's Navy have the gall to complain about QoL.
Maybe I didn't really explain my position...its not so much a complaint about QoL but rather a complaint regarding the tactics used for retention.

If you want to increase retention of highly qualified motivated people then it seems to me you should increase the QoL instead of throwing milllions of dollars of the taxpayers money randomly at sailors. I just think the system is broken and it encourages the wrong people to stay and in turn pushes out good people who might have stayed. I met a few people over the years who had a clear vission of what I'm talking about and hopefully they make it high enough to cause some change within the community, otherwise God help the future on Naval Nuclear power. Don't worry you'll see what I'm talking about when you hit the fleet and get to lead some young nukes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Maybe I didn't really explain my position...its not so much a complaint about QoL but rather a complaint regarding the tactics used for retention.

If you want to increase retention of highly qualified motivated people then it seems to me you should increase the QoL instead of throwing milllions of dollars of the taxpayers money randomly at sailors. I just think the system is broken and it encourages the wrong people to stay and in turn pushes out good people who might have stayed. I met a few people over the years who had a clear vission of what I'm talking about and hopefully they make it high enough to cause some change within the community, otherwise God help the future on Naval Nuclear power. Don't worry you'll see what I'm talking about when you hit the fleet and get to lead some young nukes.
In that case, I fully agree with you. JO retention is an issue in a few communities, and the current solution is to just hire an overload of Ensigns and throw a ton of bonuses at them. At the end of the day, that's not really fixing the issue. Most of the LTs getting out at nuke school have reported that they are simply burnt out from their DIVO tours...70+% op-tempo, 3-section duty, etc. They can make just as much, if not more, in civvy land doing 50% of the work, and never have to leave their families.

And I certainly do not envy the life of the enlisted sailor.

Bevo16

pilot
This isn't directed at you specifically, but it always astounds me how sailors and officers in today's Navy have the gall to complain about QoL. Maybe it's just cuz I've spent too much time in the same room with a bunch of 22 year olds fresh out of college, some of whom actually complained about using their leave for a two week vacation over Xmas. But I digress; life on a sub isn't the most luxurious thing in the world...blah blah blah..

You sure claim to know a lot about issues that...well...you know nothing about. You are a student, right? You have never been a division officer. You have never been in charge of a group of young sailors, and you have have no real idea what the issues that you are going to face other than the case studies that you did during leadership and ethics your senior year.

Living on a sub is not the lap of luxury. WOW!!! What amazing insights. Did you pick that up on your midshipman cruise? How long were you underway? Two weeks?

When a junior sailor comes to you because the roof of his military housing is leaking, he can't get it fixed, and there is not enough money to make ends meet...just try coming at him with "I can't believe you have the gall to complain about your quality of life."

Let us know how that goes over with the COB and your department head and XO.

AmericanRiver

Bigfoot Slam Dunk Rainmaker
Does the bonus for college credits stack with the rate bonus, or do you have to pick one or ther other?

I'm checking out of recruiting on the 6th. Unless the MILPO made a mistake, enlistment bonuses for college credit are a thing of the past. We had a message come out about a month ago saying it will not be offered anymore. Bummer you would have been looking at 7k+

I am not a Nuke and I don't mean this as a knock against any but I have never met a nuke that did not complain about his/her job. I think it's the trendy thing to do in the community.