• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Current Aviation Warfare Transition Folks

whirlz

Wondering if anyone is a current or recent warfare transition to VFA/VAQ (ideally from helos) that could PM me to answer some specifics? Read through all I could find already, but hoping to get some current info.

Thanks in advance.

TrashMan

Reviving this thread in order to ask the same questions…is the grass really greener?

Also, what does the career path for a post transition bubba look like these days? Super JO tour then immediately into DH tour? Are VFA/VAQ hurting so bad that transitions actually have a shot at selecting for DH?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Well, in today’s Navy... it could mean buying a whole new wardrobe.
DependentFakeGuernseycow-max-1mb.gif

TrashMan

Wow did not expect such prompt replies here. That would be the transition with the worst career implications!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Reviving this thread in order to ask the same questions…is the grass really greener?

Also, what does the career path for a post transition bubba look like these days? Super JO tour then immediately into DH tour? Are VFA/VAQ hurting so bad that transitions actually have a shot at selecting for DH?
Yes to both questions.

BITS

pilot
Speaking of career timing and progression, if you leave your fleet squadron with a high water MP, is applying for a warfare transition to another platform a lost cause? Would the VFA / VAQ manning play into / help this?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of career timing and progression, if you leave your fleet squadron with a high water MP, is applying for a warfare transition to another platform a lost cause? Would the VFA / VAQ manning play into / help this?
I don't have any experience within the last 3-4 years, but the conventional wisdom has always been that they tend to select EP players so they can absorb all the NOB time. First tour MP plus NOB is going to be a tough hole to dig out of for a DH board. That said, recommend you talk to whatever PERS office runs this program and ask them.

BITS

pilot
@Brett327 thanks for the tips, I agree I think the NOB time would kill me. Have you heard of anyone going to Barking Sands in place of first sea tour / disassociated? I know the priority is generally straight to the boat, but just curious!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Its a shore gig, so I wouldn’t imagine so. There are also some post DH opportunities as well.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
@Brett327 thanks for the tips, I agree I think the NOB time would kill me. Have you heard of anyone going to Barking Sands in place of first sea tour / disassociated? I know the priority is generally straight to the boat, but just curious!

You want to warfare transition to a new community and then take up their good deal shore tour to Hawaii before soaking up a sea tour? Are you high?

BITS

pilot
@SynixMan no haha two completely separate ideas. I have less than a year on my contract after my orders on shore duty (7 months). I was looking into flying options to continue in the Navy instead of just resigning.