• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Curlup tips

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I've always sucked at the curlups portion of the PRT, but now it's just getting ridiculous. I did the PRT today and knocked out 84 pushups and only 72 curlups.

Any tips on technique as well as exercises to improve curlup numbers would be appreciated.

Ufoz8mycow

Awesome.
Doing a lot of situps is just a matter of core strength. Go to the gym and get to working on everything you can in that department.

Medicine ball sit ups - exactly what it sounds like. By being forced to keep your balance on the ball you work a lot of the smaller stabilizer muscles (obliques etc) and will be getting a great core workout.

Supermans - it sounds weird, but to have a strong front you need to have a strong back. Lie flat on your stomach on a mat, and extend your arms and legs away from the ground (picture a skydiver falling through the air). Hold the position for a 3count then release. Do a bunch of those. You should be feeling the burn in your middle/lower back.

Obliques obliques obliques - you have no idea how much having strong obliques will help you once you get down the home stretch of your PRT test. Sideways crunches are a good, easy way to go about it.

Leg raises - will help you work on the strength in your lower abdominals, the ones that are responsible for first pulling you up off the floor during a sit up. Do them laying down flat on your back and hanging from a bar or something if you have access to mix it up.

And of course. Do a lot of regular situps. A LOT.

Hopefully that helps. In the end, nothing beats just willing yourself through as many sit ups as you can every day and eventually watching your score rise.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Ask bogey spotter about his inclined Russian twists with the medicine ball. I have been doing them for a few weeks--and some of the trainers at the gym have been trying them too. I have seen a major difference, even though I still feel pretty pathetic when doing them. They are killer.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Ask bogey spotter about his inclined Russian twists with the medicine ball. I have been doing them for a few weeks--and some of the trainers at the gym have been trying them too. I have seen a major difference, even though I still feel pretty pathetic when doing them. They are killer.

On an decline bench (ie: your legs go under a bar and your ass is higher than your head), do russian twists (50 times left and right counting each side as in left-1, right-2, left-3, right-4 etc) and then following it up with 10 situps with the medicine ball held over your head. Do this for 3-5 sets a few times a week (it may take a few days at first to stop being sore) and if you want, sprinkle in some sets of regular situps. Guaranteed you'll be maxing out your SU on the next PRT. I had no problems getting to 110 in less than 2 minutes after doing this for a while.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have no idea what a "Russian twist" is, but I have a feeling I could find out in Bahrain.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
A little clarification......Since you are saying to start on the decline bench, do you start by laying back, sit up, go left then right and back down? Or do you stay up like in the video and do the count to 50?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
A little clarification......Since you are saying to start on the decline bench, do you start by laying back, sit up, go left then right and back down? Or do you stay up like in the video and do the count to 50?

First do the russian twist for a count to 50, THEN do 10 regular situps with the medicine ball AFTER the 50 count of russian twist.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I'm not quite sure about the form, either. When do you the Russian twists the way you suggest are you paying down on the decline bench or are you sitting up or what?

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
Anybody else rubbing blisters on their lower back (top of ass) when doing curlups? If I don't put down some kind of padding, it happens every time.

(not a joke)

schwarti

Contributor
Yeah, my tailbone gets kind of raw when doing a lot of situps. It gets a little better over time as your skin gets tougher.

mgreen121774

Yeah, me too. I get a couple of layers of skin removed from a small area of the very top of my @$$ cheeks, and it isn't very comfortable walking around for a week or so until they finally heal up. I have noticed that I don't get them when I use padding of some kind though. Hard floors do it EVERY time and in no time flat. A couple layers of cardboard has worked for me in the past, but I recommend doing them on carpet, a rug, or some other kind of soft cushion.

Inexorable

Sitting in Purgatory
I'm not quite sure about the form, either. When do you the Russian twists the way you suggest are you paying down on the decline bench or are you sitting up or what?

From what I gather and have been doing you do the twists while in the up position. Your back should not be touching the bench. It's more work to stay in the up position while twisting as opposed to lying down and twisting.

Of course this wouldn't be the first time I'm completely wrong about something.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
I have no idea what a "Russian twist" is, but I have a feeling I could find out in Bahrain.
I think they're Russian because the Russian athletes are extremists--so you know it will hurt. (I trained in fencing with a Ukrainian olympian fencer and he had been in full time training from the age of three.)