• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cryptologic Warfare Officer Initial Duty Stations

theroyz71

Sorry, yes sub refers to submarines. And fair enough! Although he’ll have to consider what he would like to do as a tactical tour as that time will likely be there before he knows it. If he has enough time on his contract left after his first tour—and assuming that he’s not med down—the detailer will almost certainly try to send him to a surface ship. Apart from subs and surface platforms, there are other ways to get tactical tour credit as a CW officer, but the bill are in surface billets followed by sub direct support billets. Note, as a CW direct support officer, your son would not be permanently assigned to the boat and would only deploy for part of the deployment.

Moving on, the Navy has defensive cyber teams and offensive cyber teams, as well as teams that support other teams. If your son was assigned to one of those as an ENS, he’d probably be an operations officer or mission lead.
Thank you for the explanation. I have no idea what platform he would choose his tactical tour.

What is "med down"?

CWO_change

Thank you for the explanation. I have no idea what platform he would choose his tactical tour.

What is "med down"?

Med down refers to being medically uncleared for a particular task/duty/etc., in this case deployment. I've seen people who were medically not cleared to deploy on submarines for various reasons, but were medically cleared to deploy on surface ships. I've also known people who were not cleared to deploy at all, which was almost always temporarily, though what is temporary can be rather lengthy in some cases. If someone's medical status keeps them from deploying and they are not medically out-processed, the fact that they don't deploy (as a CW) will hurt promotion chances.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
Med down refers to being medically uncleared for a particular task/duty/etc., in this case deployment. I've seen people who were medically not cleared to deploy on submarines for various reasons, but were medically cleared to deploy on surface ships. I've also known people who were not cleared to deploy at all, which was almost always temporarily, though what is temporary can be rather lengthy in some cases. If someone's medical status keeps them from deploying and they are not medically out-processed, the fact that they don't deploy (as a CW) will hurt promotion chances.
What is an example of "uncleared" for MED? That might seem like an odd question but I assume most post-OCS types are fit for full duty. No? Just curious

CWO_change

What is an example of "uncleared" for MED? That might seem like an odd question but I assume most post-OCS types are fit for full duty. No? Just curious

In my experience, folks not being medically cleared for certain duty generally comes out during special screening (either before or during deployment, the latter of which disqualifies them after the fact). For instance, those of us doing direct support subs have to see the Undersea Medical Officer prior to deploying, which will happen once we get to deploying duty station post-OCS. While that screening is not as in-depth as those who are actually PCS'd to submarines, if certain questions are answered unsatisfactorily, one can easily find oneself not cleared for submarine duty; I've found a lot to deal with psychological issues of not doing well in enclosed spaces, etc. For folks who thought they were good to go on submarines and screened positively initially--only to find out that this wasn't the case once underway--they can get medically disqualified at that point and be precluded from riding boats. But these medically related disqualifications don't inherently disqualify one from all sea duty, and in my experience many have been able to deploy on surface vessels despite being disqualified from submarines.

These aren't things that are likely to be caught at OCS or MEPS in my experience, as they are screening for general military suitability there (unless you're assigned to particular designators where you have to prove depth perception, etc., as examples). But for IWC types, this type of specialized screening while at OCS doesn't seem to be a thing in my experience. When I was at OCS some years ago as an 1810 candidate, my medical readiness was judged by physical activity, dental and general medical status (as an example on the dental front, I was not medically cleared to commission until I was no longer SIQ from having my wisdom teeth pulled), etc. Unless something was blatantly obvious, folks weren't undergoing psychological screenings (at least not among the IWC types), but if things were that bad you'd probably just be dismissed from OCS.

kaldor2c7

IWC CW Mustang
In my experience, folks not being medically cleared for certain duty generally comes out during special screening (either before or during deployment, the latter of which disqualifies them after the fact). For instance, those of us doing direct support subs have to see the Undersea Medical Officer prior to deploying, which will happen once we get to deploying duty station post-OCS. While that screening is not as in-depth as those who are actually PCS'd to submarines, if certain questions are answered unsatisfactorily, one can easily find oneself not cleared for submarine duty; I've found a lot to deal with psychological issues of not doing well in enclosed spaces, etc. For folks who thought they were good to go on submarines and screened positively initially--only to find out that this wasn't the case once underway--they can get medically disqualified at that point and be precluded from riding boats. But these medically related disqualifications don't inherently disqualify one from all sea duty, and in my experience many have been able to deploy on surface vessels despite being disqualified from submarines.

These aren't things that are likely to be caught at OCS or MEPS in my experience, as they are screening for general military suitability there (unless you're assigned to particular designators where you have to prove depth perception, etc., as examples). But for IWC types, this type of specialized screening while at OCS doesn't seem to be a thing in my experience. When I was at OCS some years ago as an 1810 candidate, my medical readiness was judged by physical activity, dental and general medical status (as an example on the dental front, I was not medically cleared to commission until I was no longer SIQ from having my wisdom teeth pulled), etc. Unless something was blatantly obvious, folks weren't undergoing psychological screenings (at least not among the IWC types), but if things were that bad you'd probably just be dismissed from OCS.
Thank you. Certainly interesting. I can see the boat screening psychological limitations, makes perfect sense.

jakegouge

Just looking for as much information as possible. Other than what I can (and have) researched myself, does anyone have any suggestions, pros, cons, etc. to these places? Just trying to get a head start before potentially being stationed at one of them!

Thanks

CWO_change

Just looking for as much information as possible. Other than what I can (and have) researched myself, does anyone have any suggestions, pros, cons, etc. to these places? Just trying to get a head start before potentially being stationed at one of them!

Thanks

Pros and cons are pretty subjective, but I can try to help if you have specific questions either about a geographic area or surrounding municipality, or whether about some of the sites specifically that have not been answered in the thread.

And based on what you know so far, are you leaning toward one location over another if you had the choice?

jakegouge

Pros and cons are pretty subjective, but I can try to help if you have specific questions either about a geographic area or surrounding municipality, or whether about some of the sites specifically that have not been answered in the thread.

And based on what you know so far, are you leaning toward one location over another if you had the choice?
I'd like to purchase rather than rent (if at all possible, maybe that's something I should avoid on my first tour in general?) So I'm concerned with the affordability for both purchasing and renting; in good, safe places (I know this can be subjective) to live. I don't have kids or a spouse (although my girlfriend will most likely move on her (and my) dime to get there). I am leaning towards Hawaii if given the option (cause why not) but after more research I would put Georgia as a close second with San Antonio and Maryland following in that order. I'm assuming there are resources to find housing in these areas but really want to have some sort of idea of what my options will be based on other people's experiences. Other than that, I guess I'd like to know from other people who have lived in these areas their personal opinions of these places. For reference I currently live in Arizona but have lived in Florida and Okinawa, Japan, so kind of missing the beach.

CWO_change

I'd like to purchase rather than rent (if at all possible, maybe that's something I should avoid on my first tour in general?) So I'm concerned with the affordability for both purchasing and renting; in good, safe places (I know this can be subjective) to live. I don't have kids or a spouse (although my girlfriend will most likely move on her (and my) dime to get there). I am leaning towards Hawaii if given the option (cause why not) but after more research I would put Georgia as a close second with San Antonio and Maryland following in that order. I'm assuming there are resources to find housing in these areas but really want to have some sort of idea of what my options will be based on other people's experiences. Other than that, I guess I'd like to know from other people who have lived in these areas their personal opinions of these places. For reference I currently live in Arizona but have lived in Florida and Okinawa, Japan, so kind of missing the beach.

I can speak pretty authoritatively about Hawaii. I absolutely love Hawaii, though we also loved the D.C. area also. When I was putting my preferences down some years ago, I chose Hawaii due to the weather and because I'd get paid the most there via BAH and COLA, which is still true among the bunch. Even with the higher cost of living in Hawaii compared to some of the other locations, I still make out better here than elsewhere, but I'd wager that this would be different if we had kids.

As to buying vs. renting, I'd ask yourself what you hope to get out of buying. If you want to build equity and potentially have rental income once you leave, I'd seriously reconsider and look to renting under BAH (which is more than possible) and saving/investing the rest. Why? Unless you're bringing in some serious dough for a down payment, the condos (single family homes are essentially out) on an O1 income will be limited to those in older buildings, which--while some may seem nice--run the risk of serious financial investment on your part in the form of special assessments to address infrastructure, etc., needs. Some older buildings now are going through or getting ready to go through re-piping projects as an example, and there is the possibility of being assessed to install sprinkler systems (currently a requirement by 2038 if buildings cannot pass a fire/life safety assessment).

For a cost breakdown and analysis, consider that you're getting $38,775 a year after federal taxes (to include social security) is done as a new ENS, assuming that you're in a state where you don't have to pay state income tax. Source for base pay: https://smartasset.com/taxes/texas-tax-calculator#wfE08CiWTd

You'll get an extra $36,131 per year in BAH and BAS (all tax free) based on your pay grade, with an additional roughly $3,403 in COLA (also tax free) in HI.

That's a total of $78,309 a year after taxes in HI as a brand new O1. Note, to get a true sense of how well you'd be compensated, consider that a HI local paying both state and federal taxes would have to earn $109k before taxes to take home that amount after taxes: https://smartasset.com/taxes/hawaii-tax-calculator#YUn4sdTRMj

Now your pay will rapidly increase as you move up the ranks (especially if you're based in high COL areas having high BAH rates). For context, I take home more than $130k after taxes here in HI (O4 over 8 years of service); a local paying state/federal income taxes would have to take home more than $195k pre-tax to see the same post tax benefit as me.

But until it does (and you'd probably be on your way out the door to PCS by the time it has a truly remarkable increase, which goes into being able to afford certain properties to begin with), consider how much house you can get on that salary and at these interest rates.

Just doing a quick search for condos under $600k (and make sure you know the difference between fee simple and leasehold properties), I came across this place, which seems like a standard 2/1 condo in an older building. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1684-Ala-Moana-Blvd-APT-853-Honolulu-HI-96815/82458046_zpid/

Using one of the online mortgage calculators and assuming $0 down VA loan, $1,800 annual property taxes, $1,083 monthly HOA fees (that's this unit's monthly HOA fee . . . and, yes, HOA fees on Oahu are very high . . . that's not out of the norm), you're looking at $4,580 a month (more once you factor in the VA loan origination fee), or $54,960 per year, leaving you $23,349 in after tax pay each year. Let's assume that you're contributing to your TSP (say, $2,500 a year initially as a low number), you're down to $20,849 a year after taxes, but that's before car insurance, gas, cell phone plan, etc.

Even after all of that, you still might feel that home ownership is worth it, but if you're thinking about renting out the place after you leave, you won't be able to get anything close to $4,580 a month for that property. Heck, 2/2 in newer, more luxurious condos aren't even going for that amount. You'd be lucky to get $3,000 a month for that place today (I was finding $2,700/month in some listings for this building as an example), and then you need to factor in property management fees, etc. All in all, you're talking about being out of pocket close to $2,000 a month if renting the place out. I'd wager you'd be far better off if you rented and invested the difference in a mutual fund. Note, I'd give you very different advice if we were back in 2016 (or even a few years after that), but things today can be very unfavorable. But who knows what the future will hold!