• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossroads Enlist vs Officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboss1738

Have a bachelors degree. Gpa is a 3.06 way navy calculates it for ocs is a 2.88 so I need a Waiver for anything but swo

Oar is 45

I ve used my 3 attempts that's My final score

I am currently a GS 09 in federal government

I applied for Swo twice before wasn't picked up.

I applied for supply officer recruiter told me not to as I d need a gpa waiver for it and wouldn't be picked up

I m at a cross roads

Should i enlist in navy reserves

Try for navy swo again

Or should I try for another branch as in officer
I just turned 28 in January

If I go enlisted reserves could I make a play for swo for officer before 32
Swo ocean o option is what I want

I d like to go officer

I got a 45 on oar
92 asvab

Please advise accordingly

I can get a free masters in 2024 once I'm a gs 12 from navy postgraduate school but it ll take an additional 18 to 24 months I d finish it at 31 to 32

Please advise

Whiskeyrice

Enlisting isn't necessarily the best path to a commission but is a military career. If that's what you are looking for I'm sure you can find joy enough in that, but if being in a specific officer community is what you are looking for, enlisting will just make that harder. Be prepared to serve one tour and get out or make the enlisted life your career, rather than having it open up pathways. I can't say anything for the other branches opportunities, but seeing how those are options for you for now, I'd seek those first and then decide what you actually want. It also sounds like you're in the midst of a career with projection, and if pay scaling is important you'd need to forgo that and take a sizable pay dump for several years for "the experience".

All depends on what is most important to you.

Bigboss1738

Thanks for the reply but can you please answer questions asked in original post if possible. Lukewarm you do you answers are ok but something more clear and concise would be better.
Thank you sir and or madam

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Thanks for the reply but can you please answer questions asked in original post if possible. Lukewarm you do you answers are ok but something more clear and concise would be better.
Thank you sir and or madam

That’s the answer, “you do you”.

The ASTB / OAR is an opportunity to not only improve selection odds but it’s also an opportunity to offset a low GPA if you have one. A combined low OAR and low GPA don’t send a good message to the board.

You had an opportunity to put yourself in a decent position for SWO by doing well on the OAR. You blew that opportunity three times. Why you didn’t study or study right for the OAR… that’s on you to explain.

Enlisting will not clean your crappy OAR score and GPA.

In the end, it’s your life, not mine, and not anyone else’s here. You do you. If you want to serve as an officer, check out the other branches. If not, then do the GS thing.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No one's answered my keys questions
Easy there killer. @FormerRecruitingGuru just gave you specific answers, and no one here is obligated to give you the exact answer you want. You asked for honest feedback and you’re getting it. You essentially posted the same information back in May, and nothing’s changed with your record since then, so I’m not sure what you’re expecting.

Bottom line: based on what the resident recruiting expert is saying, your OAR score is too low for any Navy Officer program, as is your GPA. Since you can’t improve your OAR, the only way to give yourself even the slightest chance of becoming a Naval Officer would be to crush your Masters program. I’m not going to give you false hope though, your OAR will still be an issue. Enlisting won’t help overcome the current issues with your record.

Look into other services’ commissioning programs, stick with your current job, or roll the dice on reapplying once you’ve strengthened your academic record. No one here can tell you the right decision for your personal situation.

Work on improving your grammar as well. I know this is the internet, but your posts are difficult to read, and being able to write professionally is an essential skill regardless of where you end up.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

You didn't say what your Bachelors is in, that makes it difficult to answer questions. Oceano has very specific requirements for their degrees AND they have an average selection GPA in the mid 3's.

Going enlisted will not necessarily make you a better candidate and enlisting with hopes of that is a bad idea.

If you are someone that is in outstanding physical shape you could try for the USMC, otherwise with that GPA your best bet would be the Army, or looking at the National Guard.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You didn't say what your Bachelors is in, that makes it difficult to answer questions. Oceano has very specific requirements for their degrees AND they have an average selection GPA in the mid 3's.

Going enlisted will not necessarily make you a better candidate and enlisting with hopes of that is a bad idea.

If you are someone that is in outstanding physical shape you could try for the USMC, otherwise with that GPA your best bet would be the Army, or looking at the National Guard.
From the May thread, looks like he has an online Bachelors in Forensic Chemistry.

Bigboss1738

What gpa would for ocean O? I can get my masters from Naval post graduate school when I'm 30. And finish by 32 I think I d still be eligible for Swo ocean o option If I do reserves, correct? With an age waiver of course

Status
Not open for further replies.