• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Crossfit in Pensacola area

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
Anyone have a relevant (year or less) review on the Crossfit gyms in the Pensacola area? Particularly Razor's Edge ?
Just hit Radford here on base but didn't look 'crossfit friendly.' Is there another gym on NASP that is?

Couldn't find anything relevant with search function.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the gym on the other side of the base near the barracks there is a "functional fitness" class that was run 3 days a week when I was there (2 years ago). The MWR trainers that ran the class were all level 1 certified, but they couldn't officially call it crossfit because of the stick up MWR's/Big Navy's ass about crossfit and how "dangerous" it is. Don't know if it's still running, but it was a decent workout. That gym also has a lot more barbells and is more conducive to doing crossfit on your own if you're inclined.

Edit: http://naspensacola-mwr.com/athletic/fitnessched-ptside.html Looks like it's still going on. Sheila was the woman running it when I was there too.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Anyone have a relevant (year or less) review on the Crossfit gyms in the Pensacola area? Particularly Razor's Edge ?
Just hit Radford here on base but didn't look 'crossfit friendly.' Is there another gym on NASP that is?

Couldn't find anything relevant with search function.

They had some crossfit classes going on in the waterside(?) gym on NASP. It's the one down by the exchange- near the E-club and the branch medical clinic/dentist. The super motivated Yut Yuts from Whiting always talk about how they miss the NASP "Crossfit Gym". That's the one they are talking about.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
At the gym on the other side of the base near the barracks there is a "functional fitness" class that was run 3 days a week when I was there (2 years ago). The MWR trainers that ran the class were all level 1 certified, but they couldn't officially call it crossfit because of the stick up MWR's/Big Navy's ass about crossfit and how "dangerous" it is. Don't know if it's still running, but it was a decent workout. That gym also has a lot more barbells and is more conducive to doing crossfit on your own if you're inclined.

Dangerous? What's this about? Does it mean I have to ORM my workout?

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2008/10/ap_workout_lawsuit_100708/
http://www.navytimes.com/news/2010/09/military-high-intensity-training-090810w/

When I was there instances like these were what the trainers cited as why they couldn't have an official crossfit class on base there. Never mind any high intensity PT, crossfit or not, can hurt you if you aren't prepped. There's no shame in scaling down workouts to accommodate your abilities. But we must remember we're the Navy and bare minimum physical fitness is all we ask of you...

CommodoreMid

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Threadjack, if you move to Jax, Crossfit West Jax is awesome. Really convenient to NAS and works well with military members.

jtmedli

pilot
Myself, a CG guy from my API class, and a few enlisted guys, and I'm sure a few others go to Crossfit 5 flags. It's not too far out the front gate (10 mins or so) and the trainers are great there. They also have the 'functional fitness' class at the waterside gym as mentioned before. I went to razor's edge once, but 5 flags is a little more my style and it's a little closer to my place.

dtxz

Looks Lost
pilot
Thanks for all of the info. My buddy and I just hazed ourselves at Portside Fitness 'functional' area--definitely closer to what we were expecting out of a military gym. Radford actually made me miss Ramer Hall up at Camp Barrett.

jtmedli, I will have to check out Five Flags. Thanks for the suggestion.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I was a huge fan of the trainers at the gym at Corry Station actually. Ask for Bob; he'll give you some intense workouts and he knows what he's doing. Great guy.