• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

COVID Vaccine before flight physical at NAMI?

Zequa

Hi there, I'm new to posting on here. Been following Air Warriors for a while now.

So the catch-22 here is: I've got a slot at NAMI for a flight physical in 1.5 weeks. I've also got a slot for a vaccine that would be administered a week before the flight physical. My question is to those of you who have more knowledge on this matter or have gone through some of these hoops, or have seen others do so: would it be problematic to get vaccinated this soon before a flight physical? Is there a chance it would compromise results when it may not have been otherwise? The reason all of this is so complicated is that I live and work abroad at the moment and have limited windows to get things done when I'm in the states. COVID has made things all that much more difficult. Thanks in advance!

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I'd get the vaccine. I don't see how it would be an issue. Among people I know, the worst case reaction post second shot was about 36 hours of flu-like symptoms, then back to 100%. Very few reactions to the first shot.
Agreed. The Moderna kicked my ass for a few days but nothing that would tank a flight physical (unless there is a new "punch in the arm test" I don't know about...then I'd wait).

taxi1

pilot
Concur. I was slowed down for a day and a half after the second. Nothing after the first.

exNavyOffRec

Hi there, I'm new to posting on here. Been following Air Warriors for a while now.

So the catch-22 here is: I've got a slot at NAMI for a flight physical in 1.5 weeks. I've also got a slot for a vaccine that would be administered a week before the flight physical. My question is to those of you who have more knowledge on this matter or have gone through some of these hoops, or have seen others do so: would it be problematic to get vaccinated this soon before a flight physical? Is there a chance it would compromise results when it may not have been otherwise? The reason all of this is so complicated is that I live and work abroad at the moment and have limited windows to get things done when I'm in the states. COVID has made things all that much more difficult. Thanks in advance!
get it, from those I know that have received it the one that hits you is the second shot so I wouldn't worry.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I didn't notice anything from the first shot. It wasn't even sore. Haven't had #2 yet so can't speak to that.

sickboy

pilot
Headache after the first one, malaria patient after the second. Nothing lasted longer than two days. A week buffer should be good

exNavyOffRec

I didn't notice anything from the first shot. It wasn't even sore. Haven't had #2 yet so can't speak to that.

My sister who is in decent health was down for nearly a week after 2nd shot, my dad who has some health issues felt discomfort for a few days, my mom also has some health issues had a temp that hit 101 for like 2 days then started dropping, my aunt who is very health had no issues, my uncle who is also very health had same temp issue of up to 101 and then dropped.

It seems like luck of the draw for what you get on second shot.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I was basically fine after 1st shot. Bony ache that evening was only thing.

2nd shot was 24 hours of body age and 48 hours of absolutely no energy and tiredness. I probably slept 30 of the 48 hours.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Get the shot, if you feel like shit on the day you are to get your physical, show the medic your shot card...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The one-shot Johnson & Johnson knocked me and most of the folks I know who got it on our ass for a day to a day and a half.