• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

could I be disqualified?

Ice-Goose

First let me say this sight rocks. Second I have a few medical concerns and I want to be a NA. I did look them up on the waver guide in the sticky. I'll start with the simplest.

When I was in third grade I was diagnosed with ADD (I probably don’t really have it) and put on meds for about a month before I stopped, thank god. That shouldn’t be a problem right?

Also I had a TB test this summer and tested positive. The doc said I have a latent TB infection (as opposed to an active TB infection) that means my body has fought the bacteria into submission but there will always be some left. I'm worried about this because I couldn’t find any thing a bout it on nomi.med.navy.mil.

I also was diagnosed with a binocular vision problem, my vision is 20/20, and did some eye training to fix it the eye doc said it wouldn't be a problem, but Im not sure. what kind of, if any, binocular vision standards are there?

lastly I am a volunteer firefighter and plan to be one while in college so its always a possibility that I could get severely burned. What does the navy have to say about burns?

I know you guys probably get tired of answering these but I lose a lot o sleep over these and would really like some clarification. :icon_mi_1

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Have you looked through the NAMI Aeromedical Waiver Guide specifically (use google)?

That might clarifiy, but you sound like you'll be OK (from a wannabe, yes, but a wannabe who's looked long and hard at the medical regs).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I don't think eddie is aware of the "sticky" you referred to. The irony is it's his post...that I modified.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I don't know of anything within the waiver guide which addresses burns. The guiding principles are more likely to be full range of motion, scar tissue, asymptomatic, etc.

I don't think your ADD issues will be a factor. Think asymptomatic.

Sleep well.

IRfly

None
Also I had a TB test this summer and tested positive. The doc said I have a latent TB infection (as opposed to an active TB infection) that means my body has fought the bacteria into submission but there will always be some left. I'm worried about this because I couldn’t find any thing a bout it on nomi.med.navy.mil.

Do you mean that you had a positive PPD (skin test)? If that's all, then it shouldn't be a problem. At some point they'll probably make you take a combination of pills for nine months, for the duration of which you cannot drink any alcohol. I spent years abroad and got through the whole application/OCS/flight school/RAG, etc. PPD positive.
Ice-Goose said:
lastly I am a volunteer firefighter and plan to be one while in college so its always a possibility that I could get severely burned. What does the navy have to say about burns?

Based on the approximately three days of my life spent in safety stand-downs, I'll venture a guess that burns, especially of the severe variety, are strongly frowned upon.

Let's pretend that you didn't ask such a dumb question, though, and that instead you asked "What does the Navy have to say about participation in inherently dangerous activities which could result in debilitating injuries?" Once the Navy invests in you and claims you, it's gonna want you healthy. You're going to get to make a choice at some point. Start thinking now about how much you want to be in Naval Aviation.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
back on topic does any one know about burns?

I know at least two aviators (one Navy, one Marine) with significant scar tissue from burns who made it to 0-6. Of course, the burns did not impede them from full range of motion and all the other things you need to do to pass a flight physical. Maybe Feddoc knows more.

MasterBates

I have large amounts of scar tissue on the backside of my left hand and chest. They just noted it as "identifying features" and its never been an issue. They were only concerned about range of motion (no loss) and that it does not crack open.

Never been an issue

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

I would be weary of doing this to start out. Get your feet wet in college and make sure you can keep off the "bad" radar of academic probation or what not...

And then, if you still want to volunteer AND can keep your grades up, good on ya.

As for getting burned...well, be careful and don't Fvck it a away and you'll be fine.