• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cost of getting a PPL (answers, not questions)

Crowbar

None
Since this subject comes up all the time I figured I would try to shed some light on it.

I was a member of Pensacola Navy Flying Club and finished my PPL there. IFS (NFO style) got me 13.4 hours in six weeks. Finishing, with a ten month break between IFS and my first "real" lesson, took about eight months, as I was going through advanced at the same time.

Fees: $250 club initiation, $30 monthly dues, $50 refundable security badge fee, and ~31 hours plane rental.
Of that 31 hours, 18 hours were in a 152, 9 dual, 9 solo and 13 hours were in a 172, 8.5 dual, 4.5 solo.
CFI was $15/hr, flight only, no charge for ground instruction, total of 17.5 hours of instruction (Each CFI sets his own rate, the highest I remember at the time was $25/hr.) $350 for the practical test, and $75 (I think) for the written.
Total cost: ~$3000

Instruction at the club is Part 61 so I had 42.4 hours when I started the practical test instead of being able to take it at 35. And to make gatordev happy, I made every effort to stay away from Whiting and out of Area 1 on weekdays.

Just for comparison, when I was a member, the 152 was $54/hr and the 172 was $69/hr. There was also a "Superhawk" 180hp 172 for $79/hr, Archer $79/hr and Arrow $89/hr, all prices wet.
Pensacola Aviation Center Tomahawk rate: $89/hr solo, $114/hr dual. Archer $126/hr solo, $151/hr dual.
Ferguson Aviation: 152 $74/hr solo, $99/hr dual, Alarus $94/hr solo, $119/hr dual.
(All rates come from the respective website and are wet. I believe that the PNFC intiation has gone up to $300 and their 152 rate has gone up about $5/hr.)

Again, not trying to steer anybody to or away from any certain place, just pointing things out for comparison. In the sense of equality, driving to Regional was an asspain that I could have avoided by going to Ferguson, but I knew that going into it and it was the choice I made. Also, I really got furious during the winter when the 152 wouldn't start if the temperature was below about 50 degrees F. I had to cancel 2 or 3 times after driving across town because the battery was dead. Plus, while all the PNFC aircraft are IFR certified, only the Archer and Arrow have GPS. I don't know what kind of avionics packages the other places have.

So anybody, namely NFOs, who are thinking about finishing a PPL while you're still in Pensacola, there's some information for you to chew on. Good luck.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
To add on to that, I've always been an advocate of people checking out the flying clubs at their respective bases before they sign up for anything. As mentioned, many have crappy gear compared to a lot of the commercial centers, but you can't beat the prices. Since most people come to me and complain about how much it costs, definitely check out the flying clubs before you make a decision.

cdrsniper

Lovin' life....
Since this subject comes up all the time I figured I would try to shed some light on it.

I was a member of Pensacola Navy Flying Club and finished my PPL there. IFS (NFO style) got me 13.4 hours in six weeks. Finishing, with a ten month break between IFS and my first "real" lesson, took about eight months, as I was going through advanced at the same time.

Fees: $250 club initiation, $30 monthly dues, $50 refundable security badge fee, and ~31 hours plane rental.
Of that 31 hours, 18 hours were in a 152, 9 dual, 9 solo and 13 hours were in a 172, 8.5 dual, 4.5 solo.
CFI was $15/hr, flight only, no charge for ground instruction, total of 17.5 hours of instruction (Each CFI sets his own rate, the highest I remember at the time was $25/hr.) $350 for the practical test, and $75 (I think) for the written.
Total cost: ~$3000

Instruction at the club is Part 61 so I had 42.4 hours when I started the practical test instead of being able to take it at 35. And to make gatordev happy, I made every effort to stay away from Whiting and out of Area 1 on weekdays.

Just for comparison, when I was a member, the 152 was $54/hr and the 172 was $69/hr. There was also a "Superhawk" 180hp 172 for $79/hr, Archer $79/hr and Arrow $89/hr, all prices wet.
Pensacola Aviation Center Tomahawk rate: $89/hr solo, $114/hr dual. Archer $126/hr solo, $151/hr dual.
Ferguson Aviation: 152 $74/hr solo, $99/hr dual, Alarus $94/hr solo, $119/hr dual.
(All rates come from the respective website and are wet. I believe that the PNFC intiation has gone up to $300 and their 152 rate has gone up about $5/hr.)

Again, not trying to steer anybody to or away from any certain place, just pointing things out for comparison. In the sense of equality, driving to Regional was an asspain that I could have avoided by going to Ferguson, but I knew that going into it and it was the choice I made. Also, I really got furious during the winter when the 152 wouldn't start if the temperature was below about 50 degrees F. I had to cancel 2 or 3 times after driving across town because the battery was dead. Plus, while all the PNFC aircraft are IFR certified, only the Archer and Arrow have GPS. I don't know what kind of avionics packages the other places have.

So anybody, namely NFOs, who are thinking about finishing a PPL while you're still in Pensacola, there's some information for you to chew on. Good luck.

That is excellent gouge!! Thank you! I was seriously about O.K. a program out here in the Los Angeles that would have cost me about 7 grand... I will DEFINITELY check out the flying clubs around here.

nugget81

pilot
That is excellent gouge!! Thank you! I was seriously about O.K. a program out here in the Los Angeles that would have cost me about 7 grand... I will DEFINITELY check out the flying clubs around here.

Yeah, $7K is about the average, so the first post is a very good deal. Keep in mind that not everyone is capable of getting their PPL after ~40 hours....for many people it takes much more than that, which drives up the cost.

KentsVA

Eglin AFB Aero Club

I don't know the particulars of NIFS, but if it's been restricted to Pensacola/Annapolis/Quantico like the pilot version, then consider finishing up wherever you begin. Under FAR 141, you can only receive credit for half of the hours you transfer from one school to another. Given the choice, I'd recommend going out to Eglin. The club has lots of 172s available for around $80 per hour wet, and you'll get more experience talking to ATC as you fly in and out of the base. Bob Sikes is just north, Destin is just south, and Panama City is about 40 miles east, so you can practice bouncing at several different airports. Club initiation is $25 and the dues are $25 monthly, but there's no reason you can't be done within a month of finishing IFS. Wherever you go, make sure it's a Part 141 school.