• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CO's Recommendation

I have a question regarding my CO's Recommendation. I work at a command that is rather small and we only have an OIC, who is a navy O4 Intel Officer. We are located in San Diego but we have a "parent" command in Virginia that has a Commodore and CSO as the upper chain of command. For my package would my OIC sign off as the CO for my package or would it have to go all the way up to the Commodore? The problem is the Commodore has little visibility on who I am or the quality of my work. My OIC is a huge proponent for my OCS package and I believe his recommendation might be more beneficial. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mike,
Sounds like you need to take a closer look at the STA-21 instruction as well as the complimentary website.

As for your CO's (OIC in your case) recommendation, having the strongest possible recommendation is key. Not to take away from your O-4 OIC's recommendation, but you may want to seek an LOR or two from someone higher to add a positive edge to your package. Your CSO (O-6?) may be the right person unless you know any other O-6's or higher.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Is this guidance the same for an OCS package? I am not applying for STA-21, but for OCS.

As far as my package. I do have an LOR from NSW WARCOM N2 (O-6), NSW UNIT 3 XO (O4), an O5 AMO LDO and a few more in the works. I have an interview from an O5 Intel Officer, next week I will interview in an O5 SEAL, and I am looking for a SWO at this point.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the info. Is this guidance the same for an OCS package? I am not applying for STA-21, but for OCS.

As far as my package. I do have an LOR from NSW WARCOM N2 (O-6), NSW UNIT 3 XO (O4), an O5 AMO LDO and a few more in the works. I have an interview from an O5 Intel Officer, next week I will interview in an O5 SEAL, and I am looking for a SWO at this point.

Then you need to make yourself familiar with Chapter4 of OPNAVINST 1420.1B. I'm not sure you need more than 3 LORs.

"LORs should not solely be character references. These should be used as a tool to highlight your accomplishments, experiences, and leadership potential."

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The person that can answer your OCS specific question:

NAVY RECRUITING COMMAND (N31)
NSA MID SOUTH BLDG 784
5722 INTEGRITY DRIVE
MILLINGTON TN 38054-5057
901-874-9028/DSN 882
ocsquestions@navy.mil

Sal189379

I have always been briefed that the CO's recommendation weighs heavily in the overall package and the appraisals. It must be consistent with the person's performance and job expertise. Anyone have any gouge on the last IDC board %s for selection?