• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Corrective Eye surgery for flight school during ROTC.

Brandon_Osborne

Hello, I am am Attending Embry Riddle University next semester as a NROTC non scholarship applicant. I have many hopes of becoming a naval aviator but i have a few pressing questions to ask about the requirements of the selection process for naval aviators through ROTC. My main and most pressing issue is that I have very bad vision. I was told in my physical that I can receive surgery for my eyes to be corrected to 20/20 by military standards and that I should have no problem becoming a Naval Aviator. After that was taken care of, i was presented with the question of how NROTC midshipmen would apply for or receive this surgery. I know that at the Naval Academy, the corrective eye surgery (PRK) is given to their midshipmen at the start of their 2nd class (junior) year, and is completely paid for by the Naval Academy. My question is, as a NROTC midshipman,
-will I be able to receive this surgery If I service select Naval Aviation?
- Is this procedure offered to both scholarship or Non- Scholarship NROTC midshipmen?
- If I am eligible for PRK as a Non-scholarship midshipman, will I be required to pay for the
surgery myself?
- If I am eligible for this surgery, at what point would I receive this surgery during my
time as a NROTC midshipmen?

Thank you for your time and your advice,
Very Respectfully,

Brandon

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brandon,
Answers below your questions:
1. Will I be able to receive this surgery If I service select Naval Aviation?
You will need to do the surgery PRIOR to service assignment.
2. Is this procedure offered to both scholarship or Non- Scholarship NROTC midshipmen?
You will need to pay for the PRK yourself AFTER you discuss it with your NROTC staff.
3. If I am eligible for PRK as a Non-scholarship midshipman, will I be required to pay for the surgery myself?
See above
4. If I am eligible for this surgery, at what point would I receive this surgery during my
time as a NROTC midshipmen?
Conducted over break. Preferrably XMAS break Junior year.

Hawk12

None
Get permission from your NROTC staff, at my unit there is a chit process for requesting PRK surgery that is signed by the CO. This is mainly to make sure you understand that you must pay for the surgery and that you will be disqualified from commissioning until you get yuor waivers. You must have the surgery before service selection and because the waiver process can take a considerable amount of time, prefferably get it done as soon as you can. There is a 3-6 month post-op (depending on your pre-op refraction) waiting period that includes various checkup appointments prior to being able to request a waiver.

I had mine done during the summer AFTER my 1/C cruise. You can screw up your upchit for aviation cruises if you do it too close before your cruise.

hawkink1

I know exactly where you're coming from. Im a MIDN 1/C at Embry-Riddle now and I needed PRK too. You have to see the optometrist first and find out if your correction is within the maximimum tollerence that the navy allows (they will only allow a waiver up to a certain correction). The staff will let you get it done as long as the required paperwork is done, and you do have to cover the surgery cost yourself. The surgery must be done to allow at least one year to pass before commissioning. There is no scholarship requirement, anyone can get it done at any time. So long as the surgery corrects to 20/20 they will always grant the eyesight waiver. My surgery was done by Dr Filutowski and most midshipmen here get him to do it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you're eligible, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. I got zapped Christmas break of my 2/c year. Over 10 years later, I still don't need cheaters or contacts in the jet. *knocks on wood* Pilot or FO, I'd recommend not having to deal with that crap if you can avoid it.