• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Contracting Before Selection Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rycast

I'm wondering: what are the exact implications of signing a Marines air contract before I have even found out if I am selected? I applied to the Air Force as pilot only and was non-select, so nothing happened. The Air Force didn't make me sign any kind of contract to apply.

My recruiter has implied that if I sign this contract and am not selected for this board, I can be "pre-selected" for an upcoming board, such as one in January. I'm shooting for a July board for Marines now, but he already has 1 air guy ready to go. I still need to take the ASTB, PFT, and flight physical.

There's a Navy board in January I'd like to apply to if I don't make it into the Marines board in July, but if I get pre-selected by the Marines, can I not apply for the Navy board in January? This would be for a job other than pilot in the Navy. The Navy has already told me I'm too old to be a pilot with them, but this Marine recruiter thinks I can get an age waiver. I'm 29.

Thank you for any help!

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
Yes you sign a contract/service agreement in order to go on the board. No way around that. If selected, then you go to that ocs class. If you are on the July board then you will go to occ 232 in September.
If you are "deep" (pre)selected, that means you weren't good enough to make the cut for 232(only so many spots) but they liked you and you have a place in 233 which goes in January. You don't have to compete on the board again, you just have to wait. Do know, if another air guy drops out of the September class, you can be given the option to fill his spot.

If you aren't selected or deep selected that contract goes in the trash can. You can re reapply to the next class or go do whatever else you want, you have no ties or commitment.

No, you can't have two open service contracts with different services.
If you want to fly, why join the Navy not to fly?
Yes, about the age waiver. As long as you are physically fit, the waiver should be easy.

Rycast

I had no idea about the Navy increasing their pilot age limit. That's great news!

I am already neck deep in the Marines paperwork. I'd love to apply for both.

Does the Navy make you contract before the selection board, like the Marines do?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I had no idea about the Navy increasing their pilot age limit. That's great news!

I am already neck deep in the Marines paperwork. I'd love to apply for both.

Does the Navy make you contract before the selection board, like the Marines do?

There's threads that explained the age change. Perhaps you can take the initiative and search around the forums to learn more.

Rycast

My apologies, I contacted Navy recruiting just a few months ago and was told I was too old for pilot.

I had assumed things hadn't changed in regard to the Navy, which is why I was pursuing the Marines.

In any case, thanks for the replies.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
My apologies, I contacted Navy recruiting just a few months ago and was told I was too old for pilot.

I had assumed things hadn't changed in regard to the Navy, which is why I was pursuing the Marines.

In any case, thanks for the replies.

Forgot to mention this... Whether that is you or not in your profile pic, it's fucking freaky and weird.

Rycast

I appreciate it. It usually takes getting down to 3-4% fat to be considered "freaky."

Anyway, it's an ancient Gravatar account.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Forgot to mention this... Whether that is you or not in your profile pic, it's fucking freaky and weird.

He’ll fit right in with the rest of the yuts, happily bending over to take the “big green” weenie.

Rycast

I get it. RecruitingGuru is a troll - the comical antithesis of a recruiter.

Seeing a bright-eyed pilot candidate pisses you off because you see yourself in me, before you signed the dotted line.

You're bitter because you know you were a yut too, and you've been taking it up the ass for years.

12+ years of indentured servitude only to become a forum dwelling troll is giving me serious doubts.

Thanks for the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.